MD88Captain
Topic Author

Graves Under The Runway

Wed Jan 02, 2002 9:41 am

A previous thread on overflying cemetaries remined me of the two graves under runway 9 in Savannah, GA. I was told that local government could not find any living relatives to get permission to move the bodies. So during construction the bodies were exhumed and the runway prepared. Then before the cement was poured they put them back and basically paved over them. Roughly 1000' down the runway are two rectangles painted white on the left side of the runway. And they lay at about a 45degree angle to centerline. I've had a few copilot's not believe me, but seeing is believing.

I guess some people wouldn't think one could "rest in peace" under a runway, but I couldn't think of a better place to "rest".

Airplanelover

RE: Graves Under The Runway

Wed Jan 02, 2002 9:56 am

At Pittsburgh, there is a cemetary called Resserection Cemetary, and it is like right near the edge of Runway 32, and its where I wanna be resting!!!

VirginA340

RE: Graves Under The Runway

Wed Jan 02, 2002 10:02 am

There is a grave of an Air Trafic Controller at JFK. He died in the 60s or 70s. He is not too far off from the main runway. The Controller himself wanted to be buried there because he loved the job so much. Airport officials hope that he is the only buried person there.
"FUIMUS"