Skystar
Topic Author

Auckland Parallel Runways

Wed Jan 02, 2002 7:31 pm

When did AKL introduced parallel RWYs, and why is it that the new one is not being used?

Just looking at them - they appear to be very, very close together - don't know if this is a great idea. The new RWY appears to be a taxiway conversion.

Cheers,

Justin

VirginFlyer

RE: Auckland Parallel Runways

Wed Jan 02, 2002 7:42 pm

The new runway is indeed a taxiway conversion. However, it is not there for parallel ops. This taxiway is still being worked on at the moment, but once it is fully strengthened, it will become Auckland's runway, while the present runway is resealed. This interim runway will make for some nice close take-offs!

On the subject of a true parallel runway, AIAL has recently recieved consent to build a second runway, to the north of the current one. However, it would be somewhat shorter - more than likely it would only handle domestic traffic and the odd transtasman 767.

Hope this clears things up

V/F
"So powerful is the light of unity that it can illuminate the whole earth." - Bahá'u'lláh

airnewzealand

Thu Jan 03, 2002 10:42 am

yes i saw it also,
Though it ahs a BIG cross sign (X) located at the two ends of it!!
From what i was reading in the obsrvation deck area, it said it was a Temporary one set up while they were doing work on the normal Runway!!

Hope that helps..

Cheers
Mike

ZK-NBT

Thu Jan 03, 2002 5:44 pm

So guys do you know when the taxiway will be used as the rwy whilst the main rwy is resealed? I did hear April mentioned but this may have changed.

Thanks Scott.  Smile