bobcat

Is It Rude To Bring/eat My Own Meal On Airplanes?

Thu Jan 03, 2002 6:53 am

Is it rude to bring/eat my own meal on airplanes? I've come across people who
bring pizzas, sushi, subway sandwich, burgers/fries, and once even Popeye's fried chicken...

You can imagine the looks on other
passengers when they're only being
served peanuts/mini-pretzels....

RE: Is It Rude To Bring/eat My Own Meal On Airplanes?

Thu Jan 03, 2002 7:02 am

Not at all! Why do you think there are all those fast food franchises?

The other pax are just jealous as they didn't think about it as well!

America West

Thu Jan 03, 2002 7:04 am

Absolutely not. I always bring food to eat. I once brought a pizza onto a US Airways flight (it was one of those personal sized ones). Don't worry about what other people think, they should have brought their own food. Big thumbs up Big grin

SafetyDude

Thu Jan 03, 2002 7:07 am

It's only rude if you bring a three course dinner  Laugh out loud
It's not rude at all. he looks pax gives are as Ceilidh said, they are jealous. Also that pizza with melted cheese sure does look good rather than those petzles  Innocent  Nuts
"She Flew For What We Stand For"

woodsboy

Thu Jan 03, 2002 7:08 am

Good Lord no!
Why on earth would it be rude? With the scarcity of actual meals these days, its often the only way to get a bite to eat. I cant think of any reason why anybody would consider it rude- its not like you are having a Piza Hut pizza in church or something!!!

MCOtoATL

I Think It Could Be Rude...

Thu Jan 03, 2002 7:13 am

I do tend to agree with the other posts thus far, but I would not consider it crazy to think that many may considre it to be rude or annoying. I was on a Delta flight yesterday from Atlanta to Orlando (58 minutes in the air,) and the people behind me brought tons of food on board. It was a little annoying because it smelled up the whole cabin of the plane. It certainly was not the end of the world, but it did kind of bother me from that standpoint. After all, when I would recline in my seat, the odor of the food was quite evident and obvious, and it was not the type of smell that was appealing. But there are certainly bigger issues in the world, so it was not that big of a deal. But I would not go so far as to say that it is a completely harmless thing to do.

SafetyDude

Thu Jan 03, 2002 7:17 am

I wonder what FAs think  Yeah sure
-Will

BaliMorris

Thu Jan 03, 2002 7:18 am

I don't think it's rude at all. As long as you don't bring on a durian or something and stink up the joint.

baec777

Thu Jan 03, 2002 7:18 am

I brought my own food onboard where i purchased them from McDonald & Burger Kings, no airlines' agents will be upset, they'll let you get some with you, and u still eat their meal too....

baec777

lmml 14/32

Thu Jan 03, 2002 7:19 am

As an FA I always take my own food on my flights. I do however get a few comments from pax sometimes. They wonder why I don't eat airline food.

watewate

Thu Jan 03, 2002 7:22 am

Popeye's sure beats SkyDeli. It's not rude as long as you're not advertising that you're eating your own meal, by making chewing noise, smell, etc...

AviationIvi

Thu Jan 03, 2002 7:25 am

On December, 22nd 2000, I was flying from MUC to ZAG onboard Lufthansa CityLine ARJ-85 and the girl sitting next to me put out her food out of her bag and didn´t care about anyone who was looking at her... F/As didn´t say anything...

Regards from snowy FRA
Ivica

SafetyDude

Thu Jan 03, 2002 7:26 am

I like SkyDeli when it's vegetarian...wait it's NEVER vegetarian  Laugh out loud
-Will

serge

Thu Jan 03, 2002 7:28 am

I brought a pizza on a NW 727 this summer Big grin I attracted the attention of some 'well-fed  Big grin' people sitting behind me... damn was that a good pizza.

A few weeks ago I brought Krispy Kreme doughnuts (2 dozen) onboard an A320 to DEN from PHX and to BIL from DEN on a 735... didn't eat any on plane though.. attracted attention EVERYWHERE.. hehe, the screeners were like "I don't think the F/A will allow those to be brought aboard... we're going to have to inspect those  Laugh out loud"

....Serge

gf-a330

Thu Jan 03, 2002 7:31 am

No I don't consider it rude at all.

On my last flight, I took with me a feast of treats, but never got to finish it all off.

The attendant and passengers on board were staring at me. Only because they were jealous. Anyway, I didn't hardly eat there meal anyway, cos it sucked !

VirginLover

Thu Jan 03, 2002 7:31 am

I think some airlines, such as jetBlue, encourage it. And almost nothing could smell worse than airplane food!  Smile

Continental

Thu Jan 03, 2002 7:35 am

Not at all! I my recent flight, EWR-MSP on CO 737, I noticed a couple with their own packed lunches from home. The odd thing is, they just got off a flight from London on Virgin Atlantic. How do I know? Well, they have these tiny bags that had smints, and other things in it, labeled with VIRGIN ATLANTIC, and the lady said it was a nice flight. I am thinking about bringing my own food on long flights, on short flights, I bring candy, but I usually end up eating the food from the airline.

Continental

Thu Jan 03, 2002 7:36 am

Hey guys,

I certainly don't have too much of a problem with people bringing their own food. However, people must be discreet and avoid 'smelly' or sloppy food.

Which means fast food is out. Eat that crap Macca's / Pizza or Burger King BEFORE you board the aircraft. No-one wants the stench of Fast Food stinking up the confines of an aircraft for an hour or so.

Just a little common courtesy and no one will mind.

Cheers,

mb

A new star is born..

TimMSP

Thu Jan 03, 2002 7:38 am

I used to take a big hunk of cheese and a salami log so I could share with fellow passengers.

Now post 9/11 I can't take a knife so we just pass them around and everyone rips off a piece for themselves.

fly_emirates

Thu Jan 03, 2002 7:39 am

it is not rude at all..

i mean if me as a flight attendant bring my own food with me including the tea with milk that my grandmother does, and some other sandwiches. i dont see that its rude..
offcourse i will eat it in the galley! hehe

Bluebellya380

Thu Jan 03, 2002 7:51 am

Always travel with a sack of 'Castles!  Wink/being sarcastic

9V-SVE

Thu Jan 03, 2002 8:00 am

Here in Asia, no one brings food! The carriers always serve proper meals on International flights.

Notar520AC

Thu Jan 03, 2002 8:04 am

Considering some airlines' food, I wouldn't blame you if you brought your own. I don't think it would be rude as long as you don't make a big scene about it. Maybe eat while you're doing something else so it doesn't make you look like you're trying to tease the person sitting next to you- don't look at them either while you're eating or else they might think you're rude. However, as long as you don't make a mess or a scene over it I think it's fine. I often bring snacks onboard so I have some munchies for later on in the flight, especially if a meal won't be served.
BMW - The Ultimate Driving Machine

GRZ-AIR

Thu Jan 03, 2002 8:07 am

I dont think its rude at all !! Just what I hate is if sometimes people onboard (or next to me) stuff all the airplane lunch in their bags that they can get and behave as it it was an all you can eat buffet. They ask for 20 "little" bottles of orange juice and that mineral water in the yoghurt cup or take all the lunchboxes they can find.. I think that is stupid.

You made me hungry now...what would I give for a small PIZZA HUT pepperony and cheese pizza @ charlotte airport ..jaahm..to bad I am in austria  Smile !!

Have a nice day,

Patrick
When I joined A.net it was still free, haha ;).

AerLingus

Thu Jan 03, 2002 8:08 am

Most US airlines serve proper meals on Int'l flights from N. America as well, 9V-SVE, but on domestic routes (which can last up to 6 hours in the US and Canada), many airlines are cutting food services making it nearly necessary to bring your own food (if you can't live until the flight's over to eat!).
Get your patchouli stink outta my store!

bobcat

Thu Jan 03, 2002 8:08 am

A couple of years ago I was on a NW
flight from NRT to HNL. An elderly
businesswoman next to me brought
her own sushi "bento" lunch. She told
she bought it at a Tokyo restaurant
and the price was 2000 yen.(or
about USD$20 back then) It contained
various fish, salmon roe, a couple of
tempura(fried shirmp) and other small
item... The flight attendant even set
up her pull-out table with white linen and served
her drinks. (this was in business class)

needless to say I was drooling
the whole time. The business class meal
I ate tasted awful by comparison.

bobcat

Thu Jan 03, 2002 8:17 am

GRZ-AIR/Patrick,

The Pizza Hut pizzas in Austria ain't bad.
I had one with some friends a few years
ago. One thing that I liked was that they
offer shrimp as a topping... Our Pizza
Huts don't... I guess it varies according
to the local market, like the Peking-duck
flavored Pizza Hut pizza I had last year...

Thu Jan 03, 2002 8:18 am

mmmm I love durian - though it's not exactly the most social of fruits!!

Superfly

Thu Jan 03, 2002 8:25 am

You guys are making me hungry!  Pissed

BluebellyA380:
Just rub it in man!
You know we don't have White Castles here in SFO!  Pissed  Laugh out loud
Bring back the Concorde

Thu Jan 03, 2002 8:42 am

Ceilidh,

DURIAN?

Ugh! Have you ever been near anyone eating one? Someone managed to smuggle one into the hotel I was staying in KL. (The Renaisannce) They did a search of the whole floor and managed to find the culprit.

Imagine a Durian in the confines of an a/c?

Cheers,

mb

A new star is born...

ba777-236

Thu Jan 03, 2002 8:47 am

A low cost airline called Westjet here in Canada does not serve any food on-board flights and incourages people to bring there own food on the plane!!!
I like British Airways! I'm not sure why, but I do! ;-)

SWA TPA

Thu Jan 03, 2002 8:55 am

Whats a Durian? I have never seen or heard of this in Florida.
I believe I can fly.....

meechy36

Thu Jan 03, 2002 9:01 am

As a flight attendant I don't find it rude at all when pax bring on their own food, I know I do. I always bring food from home that is somewhat healthy, 2 liters of H2O and fruit. While on a trip I can usually find a Subway, there's one in DFW, at the food court in ORD, they make a kick ass flatbread salad, in SAN they have a Burrito Brothers. My one unhealthy indulgence that I bring on occasionally is Manchu Wok from DFW, they have the best Orange Chicken and Sesame Chicken and noodles, pure fat!
Now that we aren't allowed to pull the curtains anymore, we often get looks and comments from the customers about "oh, the airline feeds you but not us!", I just laugh and tell them even if there was food on here, I'd still be eating this and not airplane food.
Even deadheading or nonreving I bring what I want, That way I get what I want when I want it.
Cheers,
Mike-BOS

JetService

Thu Jan 03, 2002 9:43 am

I took McDonalds Big Mac and fries on a Mesaba SF340. I know the smell filled the cabin. I couldn't help it. I was freaking STARVING! I had tight connections and no time to sit and eat. I didn't care what people thought. I scarfed the SOB before t/o and enjoyed the drink the rest of the flight.
"Shaddap you!"

vafi88

Thu Jan 03, 2002 9:56 am

It's not rude to bring your own food on trips less than 3.5 hours because they don't serve you that much. On International flights, You can, but you don't need to because they serve you very well no matter what class you're in. I was on a Delta flight in 1996 from Sheremetevo to JFK and Delta fed us every 5 minutes with incredible, delicious food that was hot and tasty. So I wasn't hungry.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
I'd like to elect a president that has a Higher IQ than a retarted ant.

delta-flyer

RE: Is It Rude To Bring/eat My Own Meal On Airplan

Thu Jan 03, 2002 10:09 am

On recent Delta flights, the gate agents routinely announced that no meals are served on board and suggested passengers buy food at nearby concessions -- but be back in 10 minutes for boarding!

Cheers,
Pete
"In God we trust, everyone else bring data"

blink182

Thu Jan 03, 2002 11:17 am

For an international flight, you won't need it, as in my experiences with American, they have good service on the long hauls, so it really isn't needed. And most airlines(I think including American) have a snack table by the galleys with snacks and munchies if you get hungry while there isn't any meal service at the time.

However on United States domestic flights(like AerLingus said, some lasting up to 6 hrs). I wouldn't call it rude. As long as you don't oderize the cabin, it's okay in my opinion.

On most flights, I bring food such as munchies and candy. On two Southwest flights on my way to and from Lacrosse Camp, I brought a carry-on filled with candy. Luckily, no one saw the candy  Big grin

rgds,
blink182
Give me a break, I created this username when I was a kid...

Continental

RE: Mx5_boy

Thu Jan 03, 2002 1:21 pm

I'd rather have the smell of fast food then Jet A exhaust, dang, that crap stinks!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Continental

174thfwff

Thu Jan 03, 2002 1:32 pm

Usualy on flights longer then 4.5 hours I buy 2 subs. That way I can auction off the parts I don't eat. It's very filling and I will never eat airline food again.

However when I go on Jet Blue from Syracuse to NYC I bring a soda, turkey sandwich and eat the blue chips they serve on JB.

When I went from ATL to Hawaii, my step mom, my brother, my dad and me packed 3 backpacks full of food. lol, we brought so much crap. The people in the back of the L-1011 with us had a big party.

-Peace In-
174th
Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan, Staten, Uptown, what now? Lets make it happen.

BWIrwy4

Thu Jan 03, 2002 2:13 pm

I typically fly in the evening, so I usually bring a roast beef sandwich with me to eat on the plane. Thanks to BWI "security", that's the only chance I get to eat dinner when I'm travelling.

concorde1518

Thu Jan 03, 2002 2:41 pm

Southwest actually warns that there are no meals served inflight, so, bring your own if you want to. Never actually brought anything on, but I have brought on coffee plenty of times.

Thu Jan 03, 2002 2:44 pm

Sorry, but if the airlines are going to charge full fare, and not provide dick in the way of service...

I say bring a large pizza.

-KN

strickerje

RE: Is It Rude To Bring/eat My Own Meal On Airplan

Thu Jan 03, 2002 4:15 pm

I've only brought fast food on an airplane once, at CVG, and that was when we were in a hurry to get to our gate because our flight to BHM was late enough to cause us to miss our connection to JAN, so we were on standby for a direct flight to JAN from CVG (which was full when we checked the previous day, but had two open seats and was still at the gate, over an hour after scheduled departure time). The flight was preparing to leave, so we decided to wait and eat when we were airborne. It ended up being another half hour, and our food was cold by the time we got around to eating. But at least the aroma had worn off by that time...

Pilothica737

Thu Jan 03, 2002 4:26 pm

No if you're on a flight from LGA to LAX, if you don't bring your own meal, you'll starve to death!
No, those little airplane meals dont count for anything!
Jacqueline

SQ772

Thu Jan 03, 2002 5:01 pm

You mean a 3.5 hr flight and the domestic US airlines don't serve food???
How much are they charging for the ticket???? Better be real cheap I hope!
There's always a better way to fly...

ben88

Thu Jan 03, 2002 6:10 pm

3.5 hrs? Try 5.5 hours.

Thu Jan 03, 2002 9:31 pm

I was on an an A320-211 one time from MEL-SYD in 1998 and it was the lunchtime flight...1pm I think. This guy next to me had been to maccas and was eating all of these french fries {with the tray down} as the aircraft was on the taxiway. Later we were served chicken satay with rice and steamed broccoli for lunch. It tasted better than any maccas i have ever had...

Whenever my family goes on holiday it gets quite funny...my aunt makes all of this food for the journey{even if we are flying} and mum once packed a big fruit cake in her carryon bag back in 1997...wonder what the screeners thought.

gocaps16

Thu Jan 03, 2002 10:53 pm

I've been on long flights where they didn't serve meals. If you want airline meals, you must now fly in first class. On a recent trip from ORD-DFW on an AA 777, no meals were served in coach but dinner was served in first. Luckily I had an hour to eat at the food court in ORD and wasn't hungry at all on the plane.

AA also serves cold sandwich and other snacks in a Bistro bag, which is better then a bag of pretzels. AA served us turkey sandwich and numerous of other snacks on our DFW-DCA flight on Jan. 1.

Kevin/DCA

Greg

Thu Jan 03, 2002 11:35 pm

I'd prefer airlines NOT serve food. It's smelly, noisy, and the food is poor anyway--in either cabin.

Last month I shared some Chex Mix with my seat mate. The UA F/A up front was nice enough to get us a makeshift bowl to use.

Thu Jan 03, 2002 11:45 pm

Yes, Mx5_boy - DURIAN!! OK, so it smells like puke. It tastes divine! I first encountered them when I was in Indonesia, negotiating the lease of F28s to Merpati.

Combining durian and alcohol is interesting, to say the least ... you should give it a try!!  Big grin