bobcat

Why Asian Airlines Use Younger Flight Attendants?

Thu Jan 03, 2002 7:02 am

Why Asian airlines use younger flight attendants? I've never figured this one
out...

I always felt the more experienced
US/Canadian/European flight attendants
serve passengers in a more professional
way...

Greg

RE: Why Asian Airlines Use Younger Flight Attendants?

Thu Jan 03, 2002 7:08 am

I agree.

B777av8r

Thu Jan 03, 2002 7:15 am

Its because there are few unions in the Asian markets and the flight attendants have to work hard, be presentable and know what they are doing. Give me an Asian flight attendant on my crew any day of the week. Only one problem though, because they aren't allowed to read newspapers on board, they aren't all that up to date on current issues.

watewate

Thu Jan 03, 2002 7:20 am

Many Asian women quit their jobs after marriage. This is still true in many countries, despite strong feminist movement in the region.
Flight attendant job is still looked upon as a glamourous job in Asia. There's no shortage of young applicants for openings.

QantasAirways

Thu Jan 03, 2002 9:26 am

I have found this in recent years. I have travelled the Australian Airlines and many Asian airlines and have noted the difference.

Older flight attendants are NOT always more experienced. On my experiences, the older FA's tend to be grumpy and annoyed at anything you want them to do - and they seem sick of their jobs too. The older flight attendants on my flights prefer to talk to each other than the pax.

Younger flight attendants are seen as more attractive in Asia (of course) and more comfortable for the eyes. I guess this is the image for FA's in Asia then.
Not that I have anything against it.

While younger flight attendants can be rude or not experienced, I tend to feel they serve better USUALLY.
Just look at the FA's on Singapore Airlines!

Regards
QantasAirways
P.S - These views are based on MY opinion.
Spirit of Australia

DouglasDC8

Thu Jan 03, 2002 10:32 am

It's a cultural difference. Women are treated differently in Asia when compared to the west. Women also have less rights in Asia, as reflected in the fact that some airlines used to have maximum age limitations. I don't know if they still do, but it wouldn't suprise me.

delta-flyer

RE: Why Asian Airlines Use Younger Flight Attendan

Thu Jan 03, 2002 10:56 am

So, what happens to those young Asian F/A's -- are they fired when they reach a certain age, transferred to non-flying jobs, or do they just leave on their own?

Cheers,
Pete
"In God we trust, everyone else bring data"

lubcha132

Thu Jan 03, 2002 11:11 am

8 hours with an American Airlines witch was long enough. the short haul flights with the younger f/a's have the nicer crews. the Asian's know what they're doing. 15 hours with Eva Braun! THE HORROR!

i'm not saying switch the young for the old on US based airlines because i don't fly much long haul  Wink/being sarcastic but they could get rid of the geriatrics for some nice new f/a's.

ryu2

Thu Jan 03, 2002 11:12 am

In the US, do they have a mandatory retirement age for FAs, like they do with pilots?

watewate

RE: Delta-flyer

Thu Jan 03, 2002 11:17 am

Delta-flyer

Most women who leave at young age quit on their own. The expectation in their society is that women stay home and do their 'stuff'. While this sentiment has been changing at a rapid pace in the past few decades, it's still seen as 'proper' for women to stay at home. This expectation is not only present in society, but in the workplace as well. Hard to believe, but anyone who's lived in Asia will agree with me here.

I've heard stories that some older F/As are tranfered to ground positions, but I cannot confirm that.

blink182

Thu Jan 03, 2002 11:39 am

For FA's in the United States, I am reasonably sure it differs. The overall sign that retirement is there is when you are getting weak, can't bend over as easily, aren't as quick to think etc.

rgds,
blink182
Give me a break, I created this username when I was a kid...

411A

Thu Jan 03, 2002 11:42 am

Cannot say about other asian airlines, but when I worked for SIA the female F/A's were hired on 4 year contracts, that usually were not renewed.....always fresh new faces to be seen.

MEA

Thu Jan 03, 2002 12:02 pm

It may be an image thing, would you prefer to see a fresh young face or an old wrinkled grumpy lady who hates her job?

I agree with QantasAirways, older flight attendants are usually grumpy & spend the whole flight gossiping to their fellow work colleagues.

I stopped flying QF because of this, don't know if it is still the same though.

I've heard some very negative comments about United's FA's & their age from my friends who fly regularily to the US from Australia. Are most of their FA's old?

411A

Thu Jan 03, 2002 12:08 pm

ANCIENT would be a better description.

prosa

Thu Jan 03, 2002 12:56 pm

Airlines in the United States may employ some seemingly overage flight attendants because they have no choice in the matter. Age-discrimination laws are very strict. Unless a particular occupation has special physical requirements, people cannot be required to retire at any particular age. Even the age-60 mandatory retirement for pilots (which so far has been justified given the job's physical requirements) has come under increasing attack.
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

ryu2

Thu Jan 03, 2002 2:18 pm

Doesn't the FA job have specific physical requirements as well?

SQ772

Thu Jan 03, 2002 4:43 pm

The thing is that most Asian girls see the job as a FA a stepping stone to some PR jobs on the ground. This is especially so on SQ. These girls become very marketable in the job market after leaving SQ as they are seen to have been well trained both in social etiquette or in terms of inter personal skills.

SQ female crew are recruited on a contract basis. They will be renewed if they crew maintains certain physical requirements or have been exemplary in her work. there are married crew on SQ and even those who have kids. SQ has a "flying mothers" scheme where crew with kids get to fly shorter regional routes with the occasional long haul routes so that she can strike a balance between work and family.

Of course, SQ being a totally image conscious company, requires these flying mothers to be presentable physically. You will not see overweight elderly grandmas as FA on most Asian carriers...its all about image. As far as I know, the chief crew on SQ actually has the right to tell off a junior crew if he or she feels that the junior crew is putting on too much weight (very obvious especially when u are wearing the tight, figure hugging uniform of SQ). Crew are generally asked and trained to take good care of themselves and health and especially maintaining their shapely figure that SQ crew are famous for.
There's always a better way to fly...

QantasAirways

Thu Jan 03, 2002 8:05 pm

MEA,
you got it right... It's definately an image thing!
Its comfort for the eyes and the passengers!

Regards
QantasAirways
Spirit of Australia

DETA737

Re: Bobcat

Thu Jan 03, 2002 8:27 pm

I always felt the more experienced
US/Canadian/European flight attendants
serve passengers in a more professional
way...

You've got to be kidding me. I just got off a Cathay Pacific flight 3 hours ago from JFK to YVR. I've never seen more professional service. It was such a huge contrast with the service I recieved when I flew YVR-DFW-JFK 2 weeks ago on American Airlines. The FAs on Cathay were corteous and seemed genuinely happy to be serving the passangers, I noticed this in both both female and male FAs as well as those who were Asian as well as non-Asian. On AA in contrast the FAs seemed as if they were doing some sort of huge favour to the pax by coming around once and offering a drink. On Cathay the FA came around several times asking me if I needed anything and always with a smile. I noticed on AA they had even removed the call buttons from there seats. US airlines could learn a lot from Asian carriers like CX that offer a far superior product. After years of flying on US airlines I will try to avoid them whenever I can.

carmy

Thu Jan 03, 2002 8:39 pm

I'm just wondering, with comments like the one above from DETA737 about US airlines, why don't Americans, or everyone else for that matter, choose to fly other airlines like CX and SQ for their international routes, which, presumably, offer far superior service and have a safety record as good as, if not better than airlines from the US.

Tom_EDDF

Re: Bobcat

Thu Jan 03, 2002 11:03 pm

>I always felt the more experienced
>US/Canadian/European flight attendants
>serve passengers in a more professional
>way...

No way! I've never seen better service than on any CX flight. The worst experiences I had were on north american carriers like Air Canada and American.