airplanetire

Connecting For Another Flight?

Fri Jan 04, 2002 8:07 am

When you get off of one flight and have to connect to another, do you ever have to claim your bags and recheck them, or can you just go to your next flight? When I flew ATL-ZRH and ZRH-ATH on Swissair this summer, my family and I checked our bags in ATL and did not see them again until we got to ATH. So how does it work on : domestic to another domestic, domestic to international, international to another international, or international to domestic? What happens when you don't fly the same airline the whole way? How long can it be between flights to not have to claim your bags and recheck later on? Thanks!

airplanetire

RE: Connecting For Another Flight?

Fri Jan 04, 2002 8:17 am

I also have one other question. What do you have to do when you get to certain airports when you are flying in from another country and are connecting to another flight? When I was transferring in ZRH, all we did was get off our plane, follow a sign that said "Connections", and go through metal detectors. We were at our gate then. We didn't have to clear customs in Switzerland. What do you have to do in other major airports around the world?

airplanetire

Fri Jan 04, 2002 9:30 am

anyone?

jessman

Fri Jan 04, 2002 9:43 am

Domestically baggage goes all the way through.
Internationally it is decided by the respective countries.
To/From the US passengers clear customs in the first port of entry in the country of destination in almost every situation, even if there is a connection in another international country.

airplanetire

Fri Jan 04, 2002 9:56 am

Why did I not have to clear customs in ZRH? So if I was to fly ATL-FRA on Lufthansa, and then get on a flight from FRA to SIN on Singapore Airlines, would I have to clear customs in FRA and what would I have to do with my bags?

redngold

Fri Jan 04, 2002 10:09 am

If you are connecting on the same or a code-shared airline, chances are you will be able to check your baggage through to your final destination.

You should be able to tell where you will need to pick up your bags by asking the baggage checker or by looking at the tag s/he puts on your luggage. The last airport code is where you should retrieve your bag.

My bag on my last flights looked like this:

MCO (large bold letters)

BNA
MCO

Claim Number:
CLE9900022200

So it was checked through to MCO.

I hope this isn't too confusing.

regards,
redngold
Up, up and away!

ryu2

Fri Jan 04, 2002 10:13 am

Most full-service airlines (but not "low cost" carriers Southwest, RyanAir, etc.) can check through bags to other carriers, even if they aren't partners or have codeshare agreements.

You may need to present paper copies of tickets upon check-in, however, if the flights are not in one single reservation.

Also, you may still need to retrieve bags to clear customs in some countries (like the US) before rechecking them in.

L1011

Fri Jan 04, 2002 11:53 am

I recently checked my bag from Richmond all the way to Singapore on four flights and three airlines, NW, UA, and CX. On the return, which was all UA, I had to reclaim them at ORD to take them through customs, then recheck them to my final destination of RIC, even though the tag put on them in SIN showed them checked through to RIC.

Bob Bradley
Richmond, VA
Fly Eastern's Golden Falcon DC-7B