YYZ's New Aircraft Themed Restaurant

Sat Jan 05, 2002 2:47 am

"YYZ" is a soon-to be-opened upscale restaurant in downtown Toronto. There presently IS a "YYZ" restaurant, though non-airline/aircraft themed. the owners of the new "YYZ" have bought the name off of the present owners. The interiors will feature huge murals/posters of airlines/aircraft that have served Toronto in the past 60 years. The owners have collected silverware from carriers around the world.
Everything inside will be aircraft/airline themed.There are also plans to suspend an aircraft (small, of course!) from the ceiling. Apparentley, the waiters/waitresses will be decked out in retro Flight Attendant uniforms of any global carrier that has served Toronto Pearson International Airport. The reasoning behind this is to be in congruence with Torontos huge multi-cultural population. "YYZ" is set to open in September, 2002.

slawko

RE: YYZ's New Aircraft Themed Restaurant

Sat Jan 05, 2002 2:58 am

AWsome!!! where did you hear about it?
"Clive Beddoe says he favours competition, but his actions do not support that idea." Robert Milton - CEO Air Canada

AWspicious

Sat Jan 05, 2002 2:59 am

Sounds cool!
I wonder if trendy will translate to expensive?
I'm sure if everyone checks it out even just once the repeat business generated will be enough to sustain their operations.
Let's see what September 2002 will bring, shall we  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Nevermind political correctness - Envision using your turn signals!

Sat Jan 05, 2002 3:09 am

I heard about it on 99.9 FM this morning. They were interviewing the owners, who were very enthusiastic about the whole project. According to them, they are going to have a genuine B-747-100/200 spiral staircase
(3 of them, in fact) leading upstairs to an "Upper Deck"
bar area, with B-747 upper deck interiors. These guys HAVE to be aircraft nuts!!!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy The cuisine, according to them, will be based on the dishes of the nations/carriers that have served Pearson in its history.
According to them, quasi-trendy with moderate to expensive prices. Sounds cool, no?

AWspicious

Sat Jan 05, 2002 3:22 am

AWsome....Hmmm..... Now why didn't I think of saying that!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Cdn. Lad, did they mention a location in dwntwn TO.?

Airontario

Sat Jan 05, 2002 3:30 am

Kool Do you know where in toronto

C-GRYK

Sat Jan 05, 2002 4:51 am

Any way to get a little more info on the venture? Sounds quite interesting and I wonder if it has been done anywhere else. I do remember a restaurant called "Waldo's" which was right downtown next to the Conv. Center and SkyDome/CN Tower which had model aircraft all over the place. I wonder what kind of people this new restaurant is looking to hire and it's location.

Jeremy
Think before you type!

acidradio
Crew

Sat Jan 05, 2002 5:11 am

In Minneapolis, there is a small chain (like 4 restaurants) called Doolittle's Air Cafe, which is a bar/restaurant themed after aviation. They used to have a restaurant near Flying Cloud Airport in Eden Prairie, MN which I heard was a common stopover for GA pilots.
Ich haben zwei Platzspielen und ein Microphone

Superfly

Sat Jan 05, 2002 5:22 am

COOL! ! ! ! !  Big thumbs up

Will the band RUSH be there to perform there song YYZ?
They are from Toronto.

Bring back the Concorde

Sat Jan 05, 2002 5:26 am

Hey, I completely forgot about about RUSH and the song "YYZ". Would be cool, indeed.

AWspicious

Sat Jan 05, 2002 5:33 am

ey, Supa Flaiii... wuh gowan rasta?! Da ban Rush - man, dem boys rule! BOOWWW selector ei... YYZ ah bad tune, dred!
Nuff respek!

er.... Yes, I like Rush and it would be interesting to see their song YYZ somehow incorporated into a promotional television ad. (listening to it now)