Future Of Virgin 747 Classics

Sun Jan 06, 2002 10:01 pm

The other day, as I disembarked from my Virgin A340 from Cape Town, and walked to arrivals, I noticed a Virgin 742 parked next to us, and was quite surprised; I thought Virgin had withdrawn it's Classic fleet with immediate effect?

Obviously not, so what is the story with these a/c? Will they continue to fly for Virgin in the near-future? Do Virgin have any plans for their Classic fleet?

And could anyone tell me whether VS owns ex-Cathay equipment?; I am guessing this might be the case, because the a/c I saw had RR engines.

Regards

Captain.MD-11

RE: Future Of Virgin 747 Classics

Mon Jan 07, 2002 12:44 am

Virgin has or certainly did have ex-Cathay equipment in their fleet, the exact number I do not know.Conduct a search of the forum becuse I remember someone who gave precise info about what 742's Virgin is flying at the minute  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Twins,twins, everywhere.... but where are the three holers?

Jetstreamer

Mon Jan 07, 2002 3:54 am

G-VCAT & G-VRUM were the ex-Cathay a/c in the fleet. They have both now retired.

The plans for the remaining classics seem to change. This is the latest info that I have:-

G-VSSS operating until Jan 10th then resting until the MAN-MCO service restarts in May.

G-VZZZ operating until the end of Jan.

G-VIBE operating until early Feb.

G-VPUF operating until April and possibly beyond.

Hope this helps.

Mon Jan 07, 2002 4:09 am

Yes, I understand plans are always sketchy, especially in these times.

Is there any info on the history of G-VZZZ? This is the a/c I was actually referring to-I think it has RR engines, although I'm not sure. Do you have any info about who operated the a/c before Virgin?

Thanks for the info.

Kiwi dave

Mon Jan 07, 2002 4:17 am

G-VZZZ is a ex Air New Zealand aircraft I think not sure of the rego it had while flying for Air New Zealand.

Mon Jan 07, 2002 4:38 am

Thanks Dave-quite interesting! I was curious partly because I flew this bird to Chicago last June.

Regards

VirginFlyer

Mon Jan 07, 2002 6:02 am

Capt.Picard, Kiwi dave: Here are what VS's 747-200s used to be registered as with Air New Zealand:

G-VBEE: ZK-NZW
G-VIBE: ZK-NZZ
G-VPUF: ZK-NZY
G-VSSS: ZK-NZX
G-VZZZ: ZK-NZV

Capt Picard, here is the full info on -VZZZ, from Bill Harms' census:

Serial number: 22722
Line number: 523
Type: B747-219B
Engines: RB211-524D4
Delivered: 05/22/81 (to Air New Zealand)
Now opperating for: VIRGIN ATLANTIC AIRWAYS
Previous registrations: ZK-NZV

Say, anyone know what is happened with G-VBEE? And what will become of these aircraft once they are out of Virgin's fleet - hopefully not scrapping, they are part of New Zealand's history, and I hope at least one can be preserved over here!

Hope the above info is useful

V/F
"So powerful is the light of unity that it can illuminate the whole earth." - Bahá'u'lláh

Kiwi dave

Mon Jan 07, 2002 10:08 am

I hope so to as I like the 747 classics

VgnAtl747

Mon Jan 07, 2002 11:28 am

Once we figure out what is/isn't still flying with VS, somebody please let me know, I just updated the fleet page on my website, and I want to make sure its all correct now.
Work Hard. Fly Right. Continental Airlines

CX747

Mon Jan 07, 2002 11:42 am

I have to agree. It is definately confusing to figure out which VS "Classics" are still operating and which ones are not! It is a shame that they have been withdrawn earlier than expected.
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." D. Eisenhower

C-GRYK

Mon Jan 07, 2002 2:47 pm

It is relatively easy to figure out if you read Jetstreamer's post. VIRG/VGIN/VCAT/VRUM/VBEE are not flying for Virgin Atlantic anymore, VSSS/VIBE/VZZZ/VPUF are still flying, all out of LHR if I judge things correctly (Newark/Lagos/Delhi seem to be the last cities with classics, I'm not 100% on this though).

Jeremy
Think before you type!

Sukhoi

Mon Jan 07, 2002 5:43 pm

VGIN is now 5N-EEE with Kabo Air
VIRG is now 5N-NNN with Kabo Air

VRUM should now be TF-ATV with Air Atlanta and its stored at MSE

VCAT + VBEE are both under "potential change of ownership" and these two allegedly  Big grin will be going to Atlanta too.

Regards

Paul

hkg_clk

Mon Jan 07, 2002 11:08 pm

I thought they just spent money on modifying the cockpit doors of one of their classic 747s. What's happening to that one?
See my homepage for a comprehensive guide to spotting and photography at HKG

afay1

Mon Jan 07, 2002 11:13 pm

They may have decided to modify the cockpit doors right after the September 11th attacks, not neccesarily anticipating such a slump in worldwide passenger operations. Also, cockpit door modifications, even if initially done on grounded aircraft, would enhance their resale value I would imagine. My 2 cents anyway.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos