Murf
Topic Author

Southwest 737 Stuck In Mud At Sacramento

Mon Jan 07, 2002 4:20 am

I can't beleive no one has posted this yet or am I just blind. It happened 2:00pm saturday afternoon. It was all over the TV news channels in Sacramento last night, but I had a hard time finding anything on it today. It was like it never happened.

If it were AA or UA I'm sure it would be world news by now.

It's still stuck in the mud almost 22 hours later. It sank all the way down to it's engines, making for a difficult extraction.

Here's the only link I could find.

http://www.kxtv10.com/storyfull.asp?id=507

Soutwest did a great job of keeping it quiet.

murf

LuckySevens

RE: Southwest 737 Stuck In Mud At Sacramento

Mon Jan 07, 2002 5:02 am

>>soutwest did a great job of keeping it quiet.

Oh I'm sure it was Southwest's fault that a loon crashed a Cessna into a building and the media decided to cover that instead.

>>If it were AA or UA I'm sure it would be world news by now.

Why? The news wasn't all over the 747 that slid into a drainage ditch.

Alaskaairlines

Mon Jan 07, 2002 5:09 am

Sure that captain felt a bit uncomfortable about it, it was the captain not the FO.

-Dmitry

Murf
Topic Author

Mon Jan 07, 2002 12:10 pm

Hey Luckysevens,

Thanks for twisting my words and making it sound like something negative. Please explain where I said it was Southwests fault about the so called "loon" and the cessna. I've looked at my post again and see no reference to it.

Southwest did do a great job of keeping it quiet! Their PR dept could have handled it completely different and then caused the media to make a huge deal about it. Cause it happened in Sacramento it was probably a bigger story there. I happened to be up there last night, thats how I knew about it and this story got more coverage than the Tampa incident on the Sacramento news channels.

We are aviation enthusiasts and I thought maybe some other people would liked to have known about it, so almost a day later I posted it, with a link so I wouldn't get my ass chewed for not posting a source.

Well, I guess thats not good enough for some people, gotta create negativity with all posts.

I'd like to know more about this 747 that's in the ditch. I can't find anything on it either. I guess its another story thats been dwarfed by the "loon" that crashed the cessna.

murf

sleekjet

Mon Jan 07, 2002 12:28 pm

What is it about Southwest and Sacramento? Wasn't that the site of their one and only crash? (Made famous by the pilot's deadly accurate assessment, "Well, there goes my career!")
II Cor. 4:17-18

concorde1518

Mon Jan 07, 2002 12:34 pm

Here in Sacramento, i was watching the news at 10, and it made the top story, and the report only lasted for about 2 minutes, and, seeing as nobody got hurt, it seemed to be fine coverage.

EIPremier

Mon Jan 07, 2002 1:40 pm

What is it about Southwest and Sacramento? Wasn't that the site of their one and only crash? (Made famous by the pilot's deadly accurate assessment, "Well, there goes my career!")

The only significant "accident" that I can recall occurred at BUR.

The a/c overran the wet runway after landing and finally came to a stop on Hollywood Blvd. No one was seriously hurt in that accident, but the aircraft was a write-off.

LuckySevens

Mon Jan 07, 2002 7:14 pm

Murf,

I interpreted the tone of your message to be that Southwest was trying to cover up an incident.

I didn't say that it was Southwest's fault that the loon crashed it into a building; I said that it wasn't Southwest's fault that the media decided to cover that event instead.

Not all airline incidents are covered by the media (and rightly so).

The Saudia 747 was damaged (pretty severely) in August.
http://www.airliners.net/discussions/general_aviation/read.main/553321/4/