9V-SPK
Topic Author

Update News On SQ SIN-HKG-LAS

Wed Jan 09, 2002 11:32 am

For those who are interested, here's what i got yesterday aftering having lunch with a SQ senior staff here in Hong Kong.He told me:

1.Though SQ has not yet announced the launch offically, the route was planned to launch on 1st September, 2002.However, this is the latest date that the route will be launched (No more further delays) and from what i heard the route might be launched in May instead of the proposed September.If everything in the United States is on track, SIA will release the route before the Hong Kong summer holidays, which means around Mid-June, to suit the demand for the summer holidays.

2.As most of you know that SIA will fly the B772ERS on the route, however SQ might consider the A340 in the early period.This is due to the ETOPS problem of the B772s (Which i have not yet get more news on what problems they are), and that the A340 doesn't need the ETOPS, which means the ETOPS problem could be settled if using the Celestars on the route.

3.This will also be the last U.S flight launched by SIA (Unless SQ could get more traffic rights to the U.S.)Before SQ considered Washington, Las Vegas and Dallas, which at last Las Vegas was chosen, due to HKG - SFO was a SQ route, and after the Las Vegas - Hong Kong route was launched, it means that Hong Kong people could have another choice of getting back to Hong Kong except via SFO.Also demand is enough for SQ to Las Vegas, considering people going to Las Vegas for trips or business, and that there are lack of international routes (Heard that JAL to Las Vegas has been suspended).

Best Regards

docpepz

RE: Update News On SQ SIN-HKG-LAS

Wed Jan 09, 2002 3:19 pm

I thought Singapore and the USA have open skies? So why do they need additional traffic rights?

Pardon my ignorance, but doesn't Open Skies mean unlimited traffic rights?

nickofatlanta

Wed Jan 09, 2002 3:48 pm

I think the problem probably lies in the fact that they can not currently fly nonstop from Singapore to anywhere in the States and they want fifth freedom traffic rights from the stopover point to the USA.

9V-SVA

Wed Jan 09, 2002 4:01 pm

SIA does have fifth-freedom rights on all its flights to the US.If there were no fifth-freedom rights at all, SIA would not be even flying to the USA.

It would be a loss-making route as many of the people on US-bound flights get off at the transit stop or get on at the transit stop.

That is why SIA should not bother getting the A340-500 as they will start making losses.

9V-SVA
9V-SVA | B772ER

docpepz

Wed Jan 09, 2002 5:09 pm

Singapore also has open skies with Holland. Doesn't that mean they could fly SIN-AMS-East coast of USA any number of times?

SInGAPORE_AIR

Wed Jan 09, 2002 5:15 pm

I see 9V-SVA's point. Transit traffic is what is needed. The A340-500 doesn't provide that if it goes SIN-US West Coast non stop.

Hmmmm. A good thing they're delayed anyway then.
Anyone can fly, only the best Soar.

nickofatlanta

Wed Jan 09, 2002 11:14 pm

Sorry, I should have been clearer! I know that they currently have fifth freedom rights on all of their USA routes. However, I think that there are limits on the amount that they have been allocated by the govts of Hong Kong (China), Japan etc.

9V-SPK
Topic Author

Wed Jan 09, 2002 11:28 pm

SQ have used all up their quotas

But they could still start non-stop routes to the U.S from singapore, just that no more fith-freedom rights.I think SQ needs to negotiate or so with U.S authorities.

Best Regards

docpepz

Wed Jan 09, 2002 11:33 pm

Nick: that's why they should do it via Amsterdam, since Singapore and Holland, and Singapore and the USA, have open skies. Does it matter if Holland and the USA have open skies?

Of course it would only make practical sense if they flew to the east coast via Amsterdam.

SInGAPORE_AIR

Thu Jan 10, 2002 1:04 am

Can anyone answer 9V-SVA's point?
Anyone can fly, only the best Soar.