keesje

Boring Boarding, The Best /worst

Fri Jan 11, 2002 12:11 am

Going from a friendly shopping area into a nice aircraft you can't avoid the boarding areas.

You are told to go there ASAP only to find out the flight is delayed.

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Chris Barrow

Older people arrive there 2 hours early, everybody is busy looking relaxed & professional. Pls don't twist your neck to see CNN or stumble over the luggage between the seatrows.

Is it better I already join the waiting line ?

What airports you think have the best & worst boarding areas /services and why ?

"Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway

Sabena332

RE: Boring Boarding, The Best /worst

Fri Jan 11, 2002 12:20 am

Lufthansa have the best boarding areas in my opinion because they offer really great tasting coffee for free from an automat.

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

VS744

Fri Jan 11, 2002 1:00 am

The best boarding area has to be Terminal 2 at Manchester, just because the terminal is so nice and clean. The worst has to be Rhodes.........which is bloody awful

keesje

Fri Jan 11, 2002 2:22 am

Well, those seperate boarding areas LH has for business and FF's. I found people like locked in there, looking uncomfortable.

I think they are mostly used by 1-5 persons per flight (60 + seats available) the rest is in the lounge or doesn't want to be in that pen like area, every body looking at them.  Laugh out loud

A cup of coffee, a comfy seat close to the window and no loud, irrelevant announcements would be OK for me

Barcode

Fri Jan 11, 2002 2:24 am

I wasn't too keen on the layout at Fort Lauderdale which I had the pleasure of encountering two weeks ago.

BBADXB

Fri Jan 11, 2002 3:31 am

As Sabena332 wrote, Frankfurt & Munich LH terminals do ROCK!

...Also some other airports I've been to like CPH, & AMS... The worst was TLL (Tallinn, Estonia) before they built the knew Terminal... IT WAS LITERALLY A SMALL BARN OR OLD WAREHOUSE, without any natural light!!! Things have improved since then.

In Flores-Peten, Guatemala, I liked the halcyonic tropical way of walking to your jet... Even at Guatemala City... Boy do I miss those Happy Days or what??!!

Rgds

BBADXB  Wink/being sarcastic

FrequentFlyKid

Fri Jan 11, 2002 3:47 am

I love UA and I think ORD is great. However, why are the gate areas where they operate widebody 767 and 777's have capacity for only half of the passengers, if that. It creates organized chaos during boarding and it gets very congested. Not only that, UA at ORD has such a high volume of flights, people for the next flight departing that are there before the first flight is gone creating an even bigger mess.

Treg

Fri Jan 11, 2002 8:02 am

The worst was TLL (Tallinn, Estonia) before they built the knew Terminal... IT WAS LITERALLY A SMALL BARN OR OLD WAREHOUSE, without any natural light!!! Things have improved since then.

You had really a bad luck  Big grin
It was a period when the main terminal was under construction and there was basically no terminal at all (They actually turned one of the cargo terminals into a temporary passanger terminal - so your impression was absolutely correct). You should visit it now - I bet you will like it! It should be the most modern terminal in northern Europe.  Smile

Treg

BFS

Fri Jan 11, 2002 8:09 am

Palma de Mallorca is pretty bad - clean but not enough seats and nothing to do and nothing to buy at all after security.

Paddy.

gf-a330

Fri Jan 11, 2002 8:11 am

I agree Manchester is the best. Clean, clutter free

SWA TPA

Fri Jan 11, 2002 11:55 am

TPA for WN stinks because the Aviation Authority refuses to let us have the normal Southwest boarding "stalls". Everybody instead clumps up infront of the door and my gate which leaves me feeling all claustrophobic and trapped. Sad
I believe I can fly.....

fly_emirates

Fri Jan 11, 2002 12:12 pm

Dubai has a good boarding system... while hmm in IAD, terminal B has better boarding system rather than Terminal C and D.. i dont know, but i think that United has the worst boarding system in IAD.. i have no idea why

BBADXB

Fri Jan 11, 2002 6:34 pm

HI, Treg!

About TLL:

Yes... Ulemiste (or whatever it's called), I heard is really a great airport now. When it was 'the barn' in fall of 1999, it was kind of a funny experience - the carousel was powered by some diesel engine and you could hear it being started up and hear its 'machine' sounds... and of course, you got the treat of some of the fumes too.

Maybe I will have an opportunity to visit it some time in the future (?)... I bet it's VERY different.

rgds,

BBADXB  Wink/being sarcastic

brains

Fri Jan 11, 2002 9:47 pm

here in the northeast, Boston's Terminal B is quite nice...huge windows, a couple of good restaurants (Legal Seafood), ample reading material. Overall very nice, and clean.
Brains

flashmeister

Fri Jan 11, 2002 11:48 pm

The worst has to be Terminal D in PHL. Old and ugly.

Also, my home airport (SAT), is finally going to replace Terminal 2, which is just plain awful.

Hoffa

Sat Jan 12, 2002 12:46 am

TPA for WN stinks because the Aviation Authority refuses to let us have the normal Southwest boarding "stalls". Everybody instead clumps up infront of the door and my gate which leaves me feeling all claustrophobic and trapped.

Yes but WN@TPA are in Airside A which seems to me one of the most roomy and clean terminals anywhere in the US.

GunFighter 6

Sat Jan 12, 2002 1:08 am

Logan's terminal is nice indeed  Smile
I think the main carrier to fly out of it is US Airways.

overall logan is a nice airport, except perhaps the international terminal E  Sad
but they are working on it.

AMS is definately the best.

GunFighter 6

Sat Jan 12, 2002 1:18 am

I was reffering to terminal B
if someone was wondering  Smile

warm regards
G.

keesje

Boring Boarding, The Best /worst

Sat Jan 12, 2002 1:29 am

What boarding service would make you choose an airline ? Cheap Icecreams ? PTV ? Hot Towels ? make my day !!

thnx, keesje

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos