VH-BZF
Topic Author

Those Shiny Metal Machines-More To Come!

Tue Jan 15, 2002 2:27 pm

Just wondering what your thoughts are on those highly polished metal finishes on AA & cargo aircraft of NW & JL?

According to the following report JAL have finished a 10 year study into the effects of having an unpainted cargo aircraft. For them, its all good! They plan to introduce it on pax aircraft in the future!Unpainted planes cost-effective, JAL says

Unpainted planes are more cost-effective and environmentally friendly than painted ones, Japan Airlines said Monday after a nearly 10-year study on the performance of an unpainted 747 cargo plane.

The plane, introduced in August 1992, has helped the company cut back on paint and other chemicals, and has saved up to 2 million yen a year on fuel expenses as it is about 200 kg lighter without paint.

JAL repaints its other planes every six years.

The company plans to compile the results of the study in spring.

U.S. airlines such as American Airlines and Northwest Airlines also operate unpainted cargo planes. But the companies regularly have to mobilize dozens of employees to polish the planes' bodies to prevent corrosion and rusting.

JAL originally began the study to determine how long the interval should be in polishing the body.

The airline gradually increased the interval from four months but found the rate of corrosion was unaffected even if polishing was conducted at one-year intervals, adding that scratches are easier to see on the unpainted plane.

The company said it plans to operate unpainted passenger planes in the future.

The Japan Times: Jan. 15, 2002

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © AirCanon

Your Thoughts?

Cheers - BZF

Ansett Australia - (was) One of the worlds great airlines!

jsuen

RE: Those Shiny Metal Machines-More To Come!

Tue Jan 15, 2002 2:45 pm

Hmmm... Boeing claimed that the frequent polishings made painting aircraft more cost effective, but I guess JAL realized it could put off polishing.

I think its a matter of marketing, and having a uniform image. I wouldn't want to switch my fleet unless I was committed to converting everything. It's not as big of an issue for cargo planes, however.

Also, remember that quite a few planes have several coats of paint on them already. Airlines apparently have found it more cost effective to add layers rather than remove old paint.

http://www.boeing.com/commercial/aeromagazine/aero_05/textonly/fo01txt.html

VH-BZF
Topic Author

RE:Jsuen

Tue Jan 15, 2002 7:20 pm

Thanks Jsuen for the link & your view! Interesting to see what Boeing had to say!

Cheers - BZF
Ansett Australia - (was) One of the worlds great airlines!

No Airbusses

Wed Jan 16, 2002 12:21 am

Airbusses are hard to polish as they are mainly made out of composite materials. Watch the "ugly" Airbusses of AA.