fly_yhm

Westjet Gets YYZ Slots

Wed Jan 16, 2002 8:26 am

saw on global Television that Westjet has gotten 6 slots at YYZ. They still need to get terminal space.

Wonder what Air Canada thinks about this.

Also they announced today that they are starting airbiz between YHM and YOW
Where will you spend eternity? He,s more real then you think!!!!!

YWG

RE: Westjet Gets YYZ Slots

Wed Jan 16, 2002 8:28 am

Air canada will slotter WJA.
Contact Winnipeg center now on 134.4, good day.

ba777-236

Wed Jan 16, 2002 8:49 am

Thats great to hear!!! I am a big fan of WJA. I think that Toronto would be a great destination for them.
I like British Airways! I'm not sure why, but I do! ;-)

LY744

Wed Jan 16, 2002 9:27 am

Does that mean YHM will be losing some WJ flights?

LY744.
Pacifism only works if EVERYBODY practices it

fallingeese

Wed Jan 16, 2002 9:39 am

YHM will loose none of it's Westjet flights. I'll post a link to the article that appeared in the Calgary Herald today. Toronto will be used for flights like 2 Calgary, 2 Edmonton, 1 Vancouver, and 1 Abbotsford.

YWG - I wouldn't be too sure of that. Calgary-Toronto is the most travelled corridor in the country. Westjet had a strong name in YYC, and it's well publicized and loved. Let's not get too cocky there...
Mark McWhirter...Contrails Photography

VonRichtofen

Wed Jan 16, 2002 9:45 am

YWG- "Air Canada will "slotter" WJ?

First off it's "slaughter"
Second you're wrong pal. In case you haven't noticed WJ is making profit, unlike AC. Now I'm not going to bother with argueing with a 13 year old. But YYZ-YYC is going to be a gravy run for WJ. The only competition AC had was C3, and C3 did well on that route. I think WJ is giving AC a run for it's money.

fallingeese

Wed Jan 16, 2002 9:49 am

Well said VonRichtonfen....

Hey I thing the CYYC/Airtours/Type thread could use one of your little *bumps"....hint hint...

Fly Westjet!

fallingeese

Wed Jan 16, 2002 9:51 am

wjv04

Wed Jan 16, 2002 9:53 am

I have to agree with VonRichtofen, and fallingeese.
The facts are everywhere, Air Canada is a crumbling airline. Where as WestJet is making a profit. I am really getting sick and tired of these Air Canada die hards.
Open your eyes, C3 did exellent on YYC-YYZ, and they were the only competition to Air Canada. I can guarrentee, WestJet is gonna make some serious money on this route.

acidradio
Crew

Wed Jan 16, 2002 10:10 am

Has Westjet announced anything about service into the US? That might be kind of cool.
Ich haben zwei Platzspielen und ein Microphone

VonRichtofen

Wed Jan 16, 2002 10:11 am

Not yet, all we know is they have secured licenses to have sched. service to US destinations

Kris

YWG

Wed Jan 16, 2002 10:14 am

(No Insaulting) Just wait. After this economic slump from 9/11, people will want a higher level of service and there stands Air Canada awaiting buisness. But in my opinion, Wj will never be as big or powerful as AC.

fallingeese

Wed Jan 16, 2002 10:17 am

Blair, you are contradicting yourself. If people want higher standards than why is Air Canada going ahead with the Low Cost Carrier?

Westjet is a discount carrier. They are actually worth 3 times more than Air Canada. So it's not a power, or size thing.

YWG

Wed Jan 16, 2002 10:22 am

Fallingeese-I frankly could care less about Tango, even I think it sucks  Smile But I'm talking about Air Canada, with J and Y class planes. If you want more leg room, you go AC. You want Star Alliance, you go Ac. If you want Frequent Flyer points you fly AC.

iluvwestjet

Wed Jan 16, 2002 10:29 am

After this economic slump from 9/11, the logical reasoning would be that people want low fares, rather than to pay more for premium service. Air Canada has more or less said that this is the reason for starting up LCC (not Tango).

And 'big' all depends on what you use to define it. WestJet's market capitalization/profit is much higher than that of Air Canada's, conversely, WestJet's fleet/revenue/passengers carried is much smaller than AC's.

It's true that if you want benefits like frequent flyer points or business class seating, you'd pick Air Canada. But if you want low fares, you'd pick WestJet. The Star Alliance point is irrelevant as its only useful when you fly to international destinations (which WestJet does not).

fallingeese

Wed Jan 16, 2002 10:30 am

Blair, I'm not talking about Tango. I'm talking about the proposed Calgary based low cost carrier that would compete directly with Westjet. It plans to have an eastern hub in Hamilton, of all places. Well gee-wizz now why could that be?

If you want to pay an extra $300 on Air Canada for a muffin, instead of a bag of pretzels, well be my guest. On some short flights like YYC-YWG for example. Let's say 2 people flying. Roundtrip coach, both carriers with no meal service, and similar departure times.
Air Canada $1800
Westjet $800

That is one expensive muffin.

VonRichtofen

Wed Jan 16, 2002 10:34 am

If you want have money left over-you fly Westjet- if you want your luggage on the same plane you're on-you fly Westjet....I could go on. Now I've had many great flights on AC....like 10 years ago. It seems they've gone downhill in the last decade or so.

Oh and don't argue the luggage remark, I've worked in 2 hotels now and at both of them we had people come to the desk EVERY DAY telling us they were expecting luggage from AC. I'm not exaggerating. I had ONE from C3 and none from Westjet. But AC was literally EVERY DAY. One guy came from Germany to Calgary for one day, then he was going to Alaska to go fishing at a lodge you could only get to via bush plane. Well AC lost all of his fishing gear. So he went to the lodge with no fishing gear, it's not like AC can courier it to him up there!! My mom's friend flew on AC and her skiis ended up in Hawaii....skiis in Hawaii......

Regards,
Kris from YYC

flyyul

Wed Jan 16, 2002 10:39 am

My question is about WestJet in Montreal. Now think about it, there is Canada's 2nd biggest city, 3rd biggest aviation market (please do not say YYC is bigger, because it's not).

So, given that 2T had over 9 daily YYZ flights, where does that leave WestJet? Im hoping that will leave us with one or two flights to YYC, and a several flights to the Toronto region (whether YYZ or YHM).....

What are your opinions about this? (please take into account that the Montreal-Calgary route is not mighty like the YYZ-YYC route, but it has over 150,000 O&D pax, and this is more than big enough when you take a look at some of the routes that WJ flies with even grimmer O&D combinations)......

Sincerely,
Mark

YWG

Wed Jan 16, 2002 10:41 am

At this point I'd consider WJ and AC fighting over connection buisness. And Air Canada seems to think that another discout carrier will help. Well......I found that Tango had next to no biz during the regulare times, but come vacations, they fill up quickly. But with AC you pay for service. I'm not sure if WJ has music channels, but AC does. Ac shows movie and shows. They might allow more bags. And say i I were flying YWG-FRA, I'd like to stick to the same group of airlines throughout the trip, Lufthansa And AC. Again, WJ is attempting to takeover the CNX market.

VonRichtofen

Wed Jan 16, 2002 10:41 am

Well said Fallingeese.

At work I was talking to a business man who lives in YYZ but flew to YYC on business once a week (this was pre sept 11th so C3 was still around). I asked him what airline we flew on and he said C3. Then he started talking about how his company used to put him on AC but they switched to C3 because on short notice a return flight from YYZ-YYC-YYZ on AC was like $2300!!! C3 is was only $1100. Saving the company a little more than 50%! He said the fact that AC had 11 flights per day didn't matter because C3 had 5 and they were at good times for him (early morning, then returning late evening).

Kris

wjv04

Wed Jan 16, 2002 10:43 am

Where do they get that YYC is bigger then YUL?
cause even i know its not

Noise

Wed Jan 16, 2002 10:44 am

Mark, I was just about to ask that question! I hope that WestJet would start at least 5 daily YUL-YYZ/YHM flights, 1 daily YUL-YWG, 1 daily YUL-YEG, 1 daily YUL-YYC and 2 daily YUL-YVR.

I wonder why there isn't any news on WestJet and Montreal. If I were any airline, I would get into YUL asap, C3 left a big whole and this is WJ's chance to fill the gap.

flyyul

Wed Jan 16, 2002 10:44 am

Some people have claimed that YYC is 3rd place..even when looking up the YYC airport authority on yahoo.com, they claim it's the 3rd busiest in canada...

Mark

VonRichtofen

Wed Jan 16, 2002 10:45 am

Yeah I don't get why they say YYC is the 3rd busiest.

And who knows....maybe WJ is planning for YUL...they just haven't announced it yet...

iluvwestjet

Wed Jan 16, 2002 10:46 am

Regarding WestJet in Montreal... WestJet's network is still mostly in Western Canada. With that said, since C3/Royal/CanJet/Rootsair have all perished, the Eastern Canada market is very much all AC's. However, it takes time to negotiate for slots, terminal space, hire/assign new employees in a new city, acquire aircraft to run a new route, etc, etc, so it will take some time to add new destinations to their network. I am sure WestJet has an extensive list of new cities they want to add to (Toronto, Montreal, Halifax, St. John's, US cities, etc, etc) but they are growing at a controlled rate. So if things go well, maybe in a year or two you'll see WestJet Montreal service.

Like the article said, WestJet does not even have aircraft available to fly to YYZ till this summer... so it'll be a while after that before Montreal is added.

AirCanadaMan

Wed Jan 16, 2002 10:48 am

FLYYUL,

Right now its too hard to tell, obviously we wont see a YYZ-YUL flight right of the bat, because the slots they secured have already be allocated to YXX,YVR,YEG & YYC.

Ottawa seems to do real well out of YHM, and so an AirBiz product for YUL-YHM may just work.

Although there is a much more lucrative market flying YYZ-YUL/YOW and give AC a real kick in the pants.

Although, I think that will take more time.

YWG

Wed Jan 16, 2002 10:50 am

I think it terms of buisness it would go:
YYZ-Toroto Pearson
YVR-vancouver
YYC-Calgary
YUL-Montreal
Halifax
YEG-Edmonton
YWG-Winnipeg
YQR-Regina
YXE-Saskatoon

flyyul

Wed Jan 16, 2002 10:56 am

YWG, what are you talking about?

I just think that the Montreal market is a very lucrative market for WestJet. If they do well in Ottawa, and I can guarantee that we will be good for westjet also. You've got TOTAL AC/Tango domination. its really hurting the consumer out of here. We lost our flight to Winnipeg (a 100,000 O&D market), we have 2 measly flights to YYC, and 2 measly flights to YVR. I really hope WestJet will give AC a kick in butt. Furthermore, AC;s prices on lucrative routes such as YVR-YYC are the same as WestJet's, so imagine with a little WestJet can do...

Thanks,
Mark

fallingeese

Wed Jan 16, 2002 10:57 am

As ILuvWestjet said Westjet can't expand it's route system because it doesn't have a spare aircraft. They have accelerated their 737-700 schedule by 1 plane this year. This is another money saving key for Westjet, no planes sitting idle, all are making a profit. I've flown Westjet over 16 times. I've never been on a flight that wasn't sold out. Westjet does small things to save money, they taxi on one engine (saving fuel), and the flight attendants clean the cabin (saving outside costs).

Blair - Westjet is a discount carrier. People are not going to book Air Canada because they have a higher luggage limit. How many people actually know this? On a short flight, like YYC-YEG or YYC-YWG, you don't get a movie, and half the time I've found the music system doesn't work properly. It's flights like these that Air Canada is getting slaughtered on.

YWG

Wed Jan 16, 2002 10:58 am

i was jsut talking about the biggest to smallest airports.,

iluvwestjet

I don't think WestJet is going for the market of connecting passengers. Most (if not all) discount carriers do not go after connecting passengers of other airlines simply because it really is not profitable. If you wanted to fly YWG-FRA, you would get a fare which is more or less equal to that of say YYC-FRA (maybe $10 more or something like that). There's no money to be made on that little short domestic hop. The large source of revenue already comes from the international hop, they YYZ-YWG leg is just extra.

I really don't see how WestJet could profit from taking international connecting passengers say from YVR or YYZ and taking them to YYC, YWG, etc, etc.

And even if WestJet were fighting for connecting traffic, you would have seen a codeshare with AA or other oneworld airlines like CX and possibly QF.

Noise

Well said Mark!

flyyul

Wed Jan 16, 2002 11:02 am

Negative YWG,
Calgary is Canada's 4th busiest airport. it does come close to YUL, but put YUL and YMX together, and we are a bit ahead....

Mark

YWG

RE: YUL

Wed Jan 16, 2002 11:04 am

I was in YUL for about an hour doing YYZ-YUL-YYZ-YWG on Dec.29. A very nice airport, from the departure area. But I find it quite amazing that you guys board 744's from ground level :S I luckily got on an A340 at a gate. but overall YUL seems like a nice place Big grin thats if you forget about the biker war's:D No offence. Montreal sais tres bon!

fallingeese

Wed Jan 16, 2002 11:05 am

Hey Noise, which Mark are you talking to? There are alot of Mark's in these forums....

Westjet has earned itself to a point of where it doesn't need another carrier to feed it's operations...to an extent. The loads in YYC, are nearly all 100%. Trust me I know, I've been there.

Blair - Any idea why Air Canada wants to base the new Low Cost Carrier in Calgary, and Hamilton? Hamilton being a location that it ahs never served before. Do I sense some unfair business practices?

flyyul

Fallingeese

Wed Jan 16, 2002 11:07 am

Noise was adressing to me, my name is Mark!

Mark

fallingeese

Flyyul

Wed Jan 16, 2002 11:07 am

Can you please clear this up for me...

So Calgary is the 3rd largest as an individual. But if you combine Montreals 2 airports than it has more than YYC?

Fly Westjet...Yes I am a MARK TOO!!!

AirCanadaMan

Wed Jan 16, 2002 11:08 am

To back up Fallingesse,

I lfew on January 7th, and I admit I was flying AC ( only ones that can get me from YZF-YYZ)
Anyways, on my flight from YEG-YYC there was 7 people on board, 7!!, and that was a F-28. The flight that left prior to mine was also going to YYC with 5 pax, and that was a Dash-8 300.

Meanwhile WJ had a flight going at roughly the same time as the Dash 8 flight, and it was packed.

Furthermore, when I was on my wasy up to YZF, there was a storm hitting the West Coast and all flights were delayed, I noticed Westjet offered its pax free cookies and juice in the lounge, AC/5T just made us wait.

You see, its little things like that, that lead to Westjets success.

Noise

Wed Jan 16, 2002 11:09 am

Yeah, I'm sure there are a lot of Marks in the forum. I meant FLYYUL.

How's westJet doing in it's most eastern city, Moncton? Wouldn't be surpised if their loads are full. I envy Moncton, a city 30 times smaller than Montreal, but still has 2 Canadian airlines to choose from.

YWG

Wed Jan 16, 2002 11:10 am

WHy they are starting a YYC based one is a mystery to me. The only thing that LCC help out with is connecting stuck non-rev. travel passengers back home due to poor loads  Big grin .WHy they'de want to base one in YHM....another mystery, personaly, I have no buisness in Hamilton. And I think it as a place like Thunder Bay or rankin Inlet.

Noise

Fallingeese, nope, Dorval is still 3rd as an individual with 8.5 mil pax a year. 10 mil pax with both airports.

fly_yhm

First of all supposivly by the end of 2002 they want to have flight to Montreal,Toronto(as well all now know) st,johns and Halifax also they have a total of 39 cities they are looking at and Siobhan Vinnish says that just about every airport in canada is asking for Westjet service.

pretty sure once flights to montreal start up they will be to YHM at first.

Noise

Wed Jan 16, 2002 11:11 am

What's LCC, low cost carrier?

YWG

Wed Jan 16, 2002 11:12 am

Yup

flyyul

Wed Jan 16, 2002 11:13 am

That's a good move, but WestJet should attack the western Canadian market out of Montreal...large demand for that aspect..

To FallingGeese..Montreal YUL is the 3rd largest with 8.5 mil, and would have reached 9.1 or 9.2 mil if not for sept11 for 2001...YMX is 1.5mil..

Cheers,
Mark

P.S Hey Mark (fallinggeese), I like your name

fallingeese

Wed Jan 16, 2002 11:13 am

I've know the Hospitality of Westjet all too well. It might be the full access tour at the YYC hangar, or maybe atmosphere I've had on all my flights. I have company passes on Air Canada, they are quite a low level but we always choose to fly Westjet.

AirCanadaMan
Oh I know. I've seen dismal loads on some Air Canada flights. You should see some loads in the Western triangle. As you said nomore than 10 on the flight, while Westjet was packed.

Fly Westjet!

fallingeese

Wed Jan 16, 2002 11:18 am

the fallingeese name has something to do with Canadian Airlines, or what is left of it...Proudwings...*hint hint*

As someone mentioned in alot of cases it is the airports requesting Westjet service, not the other way around. Westjet has really followed almost a Pacific Western way of flying. Serving smaller destinations while making profits. I still wonder what would have happened if Pacific Western hadn't bought CP Air, and instead bought Air Canada...they had the funds to do it!

Fly Westjet!

Noise

Wed Jan 16, 2002 11:19 am

Fallingeese, I think he meant your real name, Mark.

fly_yhm

Wed Jan 16, 2002 11:21 am

YWG
your just bitter because YWG isnt involed in this

sure you dont have no business in YHM but guess what there are 32 million people in canada that could have business here besides most people that fly on westjet don,t fly for business but more for leisure and you say you look at YHM as a place like YQT or Rankin Inlet you a goof buddy because for 1.7 million people yhm is the closest airport so you you don,t know what your talking about.

fallingeese

Wed Jan 16, 2002 11:21 am

Oh well, you jsut gotta love the name Mark. By complete fluke the name of my bestfriend is also Mark, who also happens to be into aviation.