bobcat

Toilet Water: Clockwise Or Counterclock On Planes?

Thu Jan 17, 2002 10:07 am

Toilet water: clockwise or counterclock-wise?

I apologize for this silly question. My
nephew asked me this question and
I didn't have an answer. I believe
the toilet water goes down in the opposite
direction when you live in the souther
hemisphere, correct? I realize the toilet
water on planes doesn't exactly act like
household toilet... but if it did, which
way would it flow... and does it change
direction after the planes flies to the
other hemisphere? (LAX to SYD,
for example)

Early Air

RE: Toilet Water: Clockwise Or Counterclock On Planes?

Thu Jan 17, 2002 10:10 am

Planes dont have toilet water. When you press the flush button a vacume sucks everything out. However, on older aircraft a blue liquid is released and it just goes straight down.

Rgds,
Early Air

NZ767

Thu Jan 17, 2002 10:14 am

That was an interesting question Bobcat; not silly at all.
Your nephew's gonna be a scientist!  Smile

QANTASforever

Thu Jan 17, 2002 10:18 am

Although the toilets on planes do not act like their cousins on the ground, the sinks on the a/c do.

If you had a sinkfull of water while you were over mexico, it would not go down the drain in the same direction as it would if it was flying over Brazil.
Fighting for the glory of the Australian Republic.

CX Flyboy

Thu Jan 17, 2002 10:18 am

Actually I have noticed the blue water does swirl in some aircraft, but this is probably more because the water is deliberately angled, rather than the act of gravity and the earth's spin.

Mark_D.

RE: Toilet Water: Clockwise Or Counterclock On Pla

Thu Jan 17, 2002 10:35 am

This is an urban legend, you guys  Smile

(want to calculate what the Coriolis forces are, in water in something the size of a toilet bowl, even at "max effect" Mid-Latitudes? They're pretty tiny, you'd be waiting a looong while --and would have to have the water real still, impossibly so, in fact-- to see it swirl down due chiefly to that effect)

Staffan

Thu Jan 17, 2002 10:39 am

Mark, no it's not, haven't you seen the Simpsons episode when they go to Australia??  Big grin

Seriously, I've also heard that this business about the water swirling clockwise or anti clockwise depending on northern- and suthern hemisphere is an urban legend.

Staffan

CX Flyboy

Thu Jan 17, 2002 10:44 am

I was under the impression that it did swirl depending on where you are. I distinctly remember seeing Michael Palin doing an experiment either side of the equator....

Lt-AWACS

Thu Jan 17, 2002 10:46 am

well I'll give you info on my AWACS. Most know we are based on the 707 airframe and we have one lav in the back. This has the blue treated 'water' in it. Mostly we do not flush, because believe it or not it mucks up the system. The 'flusher' chops up what is in the tank and just releases it back to top of the bowl. The blue water just falls straight down into the hole. There is also no water tank for the sink so we don;t have water either. We do not have flappers on our toilets so it is funny to screw with the new guys and 'blue ham' or blue ass' them. When we know someone is in the crapper the plane dives so the blue 'water' smacks them in the ass  Smile I've also been in some combat decents where afterword I've seen the blue water on the ceiling. Very nasty
Io voglio fica ogni giorni da mia bella moglie!

RyDawg82

Thu Jan 17, 2002 11:00 am

Our tax $$$ hard at work  Smile

Ry

CX Flyboy

Thu Jan 17, 2002 11:02 am

Sounds like fun!!

Lt-AWACS

Thu Jan 17, 2002 11:11 am

I have more than enough stories about what the taxpayers spend on AWACS LOLOLOL  Big grin

The best is when we convinced this Army General flying with us that the Radome actually flew off the plane then came back and reattached when the mission was over.  Smile We even dove a bit when we planned for 'Saucer seperation' and we jinked the plane a bit again when the radome ' came home'.

sleekjet

Thu Jan 17, 2002 11:47 am

Probably depends on whether the flusher is left-handed.
II Cor. 4:17-18

777-200

Thu Jan 17, 2002 1:40 pm

Lets all go down to Australia and Flush a Toilet! Nuts
Another Day, Another Dollar.... Young Jeezy

bobcat

Thu Jan 17, 2002 1:54 pm

Anyone in the souther hemisphere
right now? I never thought I'd ask
this, but would you do us a favor by
flushing your toilet and see the water
is clockwise or counter-clockwise?

Thanks!

AWspicious

Thu Jan 17, 2002 2:14 pm

Lt.AWACS;
That "flying saucer" prank is too funny  Laugh out loud I would have liked to see the look on the general's face!  Laugh out loud
Nevermind political correctness - Envision using your turn signals!

Lt-AWACS

Thu Jan 17, 2002 3:34 pm

yea it was great. we didn't tell him the truth untill
drinks in the O'Club after the sortie. It was a classic moment.  Smile

flightsimfreak

Thu Jan 17, 2002 4:17 pm

The way that the water flows out is determined more by the way that the container is tilted or the way that it was filled. Corialis effect has almost no influince over the way that a toilet is flushed.

jsuen

Thu Jan 17, 2002 4:21 pm

Toilet water direction is a myth.

As a side note, the thing that does change from Northern to Southern Hemisphereis is color CRT tubes. The slightly different vertical magnetic field component is more than enough to destroy color quality. Southern hemisphere CRT tubes are Northern Hemisphere tubes upside down. (Try turning your monitor upside down). To compensate, aircraft have expensive electronic CRT compensation systems, which make LCDs a bargain.

NZ767

Thu Jan 17, 2002 7:31 pm

I live in NZ Bobcat and I just did what you said.
Unfortunately my toilet doesn't have a "swirl" type flush; it comes from all directions really fast so it was hard to tell.  Crying

Hey Lt-AWACS,
That saucer prank sounds like a classic!
I would've been in tears if I was there.  Big grin

sudden

Thu Jan 17, 2002 10:38 pm

Someone have watched the Simpsons! Big grin
When in doubt, flat out!

H. Simpson

Thu Jan 17, 2002 11:25 pm

DOH!

sudden

Thu Jan 17, 2002 11:55 pm

Hey.....
Homer himself.  Big thumbs up
When in doubt, flat out!

cutlass

Thu Jan 17, 2002 11:55 pm

I've watched the simpons, but it's not a myth. Here in Argentina the water goes clockwise

Staffan

Fri Jan 18, 2002 12:45 am

In our toilet in Belgium it goes clockwise too...

airways1

Fri Jan 18, 2002 1:47 am

It is true that the spin of the earth has an effect on the direction of water going down the plughole. However, this effect is minute and the initial conditions are much more important in determining in which direction the water will go down. To demonstrate this, fill your basin with water while the plug is in. Then stir the water so it is circulating clockwise. Pull the plug out and you will see the water go down clockwise. Then do the same thing, but stir it anticlockwise. This time the water will go down anticlockwise.

Lufthansa404

Fri Jan 18, 2002 1:55 am

Be carefull with that blue water. I think its pretty acid! When there was a guy refulling that blue stuff from a bottle in a Lufthansa 737 he had to wear gloves and said its very dangerous.

Cheers

Jan

CF-CPI

Fri Jan 18, 2002 2:33 am

The direction of the acidic blue liquid will depend on whether a UFO is hovering in the vicinity. This is the truth. I saw it on X-files.  Big grin

Konstantinos

Fri Jan 18, 2002 3:31 am

Yes that is correct. I noticed with the bath tab and toilet when I was in Southern Africa, the water went clock-wise and here in Europe (I just tryed it) it went down anti-clock wise.

bobcat

Fri Jan 18, 2002 3:39 am

My toilet and sink water drains counter-
clockwise here in North America. It's the
opposite for my friends in Australia...

Hmmmm.... what about people who live
on the equator, directly on the 0-degree
mark? Does the water do figure-8's?
 Smile  Smile Anyone?

Ikarus

Fri Jan 18, 2002 3:45 am

Back to the original question: Assuming not a toilet, but a plug in a sink or something similar (unaffected by exterior disturbances), would the direction of any rotation be different in the Southern hemisphere? Yes. Would it still be different in a plane flying 8km above the surface? Yes. If the plane flies really really smoothly... At least in theory. Somehow toilets do not seem to be an ideal experimental facility for this.

What happens above the equator? Random rotation - if any. At least, that's my opinion...but:

Now I have a stupid question myself: Low pressure weather zones turn in the opposite direction compared with high pressure ones, correct? That's also due to coriolis, right? So what happens in the southern hemisphere - they turn in the opposite directions from the Northern hemisphere, right? And what happens if two low-pressure zones (or two high-pressure ones) from different hemispheres meet near the equator?

Regards

Ikarus

Red Panda

RE: Toilet Water: Clockwise Or Counterclock On Pla

Fri Jan 18, 2002 3:53 am

The Coriolis forces have no significant effect on how toilet water drain down the hole. It's urban myth.

Some toilet water going down clockwise and anti-clockwise in Southern and Northern Hemispheres respectively cannot prove that it is due to the Coriolis forces. There is water going down clockwise in N. Hemisphere and there is water going down anti-clockwise in S. Hemisphere as well. If you live in S. Hemisphere and your toilet water goes down clockwise, pls do NOT think that you have proven sth.

The Coriolis forces even have very little effect on how a tornado spin. Though, 90% tornadoes spin anti-clockwise in N. America. However, most scientists cannot conclude that this is due to the Coriolis forces.

r panda

Squigee

Fri Jan 18, 2002 5:09 am

The blue water will not dissolve a hair-weave. For our older passengers, and I notice we have some old people up here- how you doing?- we ask you to use discrestion and not attempt to flush a disposable undergarment.

- Shirley Q Liquor's Preflight checklist quote. I don't know why I though of it, but I'm LMAO just typing it. Search for it on Morpheus or something, it's hilarious!
Someday, we'll look back at this, laugh nervously, and then change the subject.

Fri Jan 18, 2002 6:09 am

Toilet Water flushing directions rates 4 Stars???

9A-CRO
Crew

Fri Jan 18, 2002 7:47 pm

yes, initial movement of water and shape of the sink decide in which way the water will go we made an experiment of physics with a heavy metal ball hanged from about 10meters and still there was much preparation not to spoil the experiment by adding momentum(hope I used the correct term,my scientificalenglish is not so great) - and yes, it did rotate clockwise also this CRT story looks hoax to me to, if I am not mistaken the horizontal component of mag field is much stronger so rotation of TV set around vertical axis(ie with screen facing N and then S) would change the picture quality
When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward...

jsuen

Fri Jan 18, 2002 8:36 pm

Nope, CRT's aren't a myth. (Did you try turning your monitor upside down?) The thing about CRTs is that color is very dependent on the angle at which the beam hits the monitor. Each of the color guns are angled and the electrons are shot through a tiny hole in the shadow mask. The shadow mask blocks off the red phosphor, for example, unless you're at an extreme angle (think optical parallax). Remember force on a charged particle is F=qv X B (cross product), so a vertical magnetic field creates a horizontal movement. If you do an order of magnitude calculation, the difference from the southern to northern hemisphere is about 1 mm, which is huge for a dot pitch of about .3 mm.

Why doesn't turning your monitor change anything? It does, but it moves the picture upwards a millimeter, which we don't notice.

jsuen

Fri Jan 18, 2002 8:40 pm

I forgot to mention, if you search for CRTs on the web, you'll find two different order numbers for CRTs too

First one I found: http://apollo.maxnt.co.jp/apollo/hardspec/DSxxxx_DISP.html

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos