CcrlR
Topic Author

Muslim Woman Sues ORD Screeners

Fri Jan 18, 2002 5:33 am

I found this out yesterday and I wanted to know what you think.

In ORD this muslim lady went through O'Hare and through the screening process and she was asked to take off her head scarf off even though she didn't set off the metal detectors(both walk-through and handheld) she said that she wasn't supposed to take it off while there were men around and in public. So they went into a private room to be searched and then they wanted her to strip down to be searched too. After the ordeal ahe is planning to sue Argenbright security for this.

What do you think about this is it stupid or just plain nonsense?
"He was right, it is a screaming metal deathtrap!"-Cosmo (from the Fairly Oddparents)

donder10

RE: Muslim Woman Sues ORD Screeners

Fri Jan 18, 2002 5:34 am

Sue for what?

CcrlR
Topic Author

Fri Jan 18, 2002 5:37 am

She thought that she was searched because of her religion and because she was muslim. The wierd thing was that she was still searched even though she didn't set off anything.
"He was right, it is a screaming metal deathtrap!"-Cosmo (from the Fairly Oddparents)

prebennorholm

Fri Jan 18, 2002 5:38 am

She must be a very rich woman, wanting to give away thousands of dollars to her lawyer.
Always keep your number of landings equal to your number of take-offs

Fri Jan 18, 2002 5:57 am

This topic has already been discussed to death and has been archived already.

Do a search before posting more to this thread.

Plus Ccrlr....your brief summation leaves out that she was surrounded by National Guard troops, plus other "trivial" information which has been been left.

But do a search in the archives, and you will find the thread.

LON-CHI

Fri Jan 18, 2002 6:04 am

Two weeks ago at ORD I was stopped before boarding a domestic flight and searched (body and bag). Earlier this week at ORD, I passed through the metal detector without setting it off, but I was still pulled aside and patted down. Maybe I'll sue as well!

fly_emirates

Fri Jan 18, 2002 6:08 am

this topic was discussed before.

true that i am muslim, but as it is said that she was taken to a private room, then i dont see aproblem, why is she suing?

wadha

Fri Jan 18, 2002 6:10 am

um! now why is she suing after being searched in a private room? some thing is missing here.. either she is following the "sue this and sue that" thing, or there is some thing that wasnt mention

TWA902fly

Fri Jan 18, 2002 6:17 am

i heard about it on the radio this morning... the woman was flying from Chicago to Columbus OH, she went through security without setting off the alarm, but the screeners told her to take off the head dress thing, and she said she would not do it in public. They took her to a search room or whatever its called. She took it off, they found nothing, she put it back on and continued on to her plane and flew without delay to Columbus.

What is there to sue? She says it was for relegious reasons. Now what the? You could hide some weapon in any piece of clothing. Anyways most people put their hats through the carry on x-ray, but since it was against her relegion she did not, they can ask her to, its not because she's muslim, it's because she could hide a weapon in there, and everyone else takes off jackets, hats, etc...

twa902
life wasn't worth the balance, or the crumpled paper it was written on

BlatantEcho

Fri Jan 18, 2002 6:18 am

I brought this topic up a few weeks. Basically the same thing happened, in this case, the headscarf (burkaq i think it is called, please correct me) was removied from the lady in public. The outcry of 99% of the posters was private booths should be established, and any muslim lady who does not wish to remove that piece of clothing in public, should be brought to those private booths and remove it only in the presence of a female securty employee.

It was pretty open and shut, that is what they should do, this simply adds the twist that the metal detector didn't go off. She was brought to a private room, which is a step in the right direction, but why the strip search ordered?

Again, it comes down to poorly educated security workers (what was it, 50% haven't graduated HS??) who are trying to play God, and the world (US most specifically) being sue happy over any "inconvinience"

Too bad, but do a search, my post got about 150 replies. Beaten to death Big grin

cheers,
BlatantEcho
They're not handing trophies out today

fly_emirates

Lot767-300ER, i think your attitude is harsh a little bit  Smile

I did a search on the word "sue" at usatoday.com. On their site the word "sue" came up 1,219 times....

Sleepy

TWA902fly

Fri Jan 18, 2002 6:21 am

She didn't take it off in public BlatantEcho.

She was asked to
She asked to take it off in a room in private
They granted her this
They found nothing
She was on her way

She's using her religion against these screeners, and suing them. So I am guessing every muslim who is asked to do anything should sue?? No. It's just stupid people like this woman, as an individual having nothing to do with her relegion.

They let her go after a couple minutes
She got to CMH

what does she care?

twa902
life wasn't worth the balance, or the crumpled paper it was written on

airmale

Fri Jan 18, 2002 6:33 am

I think she is stupid and out to make a quick buck, she'll lose, they were courteous enough to search her in private Smile
.....up there with the best!

baec777

Fri Jan 18, 2002 6:47 am

I am a muslim guy, and that she is right about that, that is our culture in clothing too, so why calling her stupid...?? My mom & sister, and my wife as well wear a headscarf, and they never asked them to take it off, thats our religion not to do what security/securities asked us to do. If she wants to SUE the people, that's her problem !!!!!!!! I dont blame her !!

baec777

airmale

Fri Jan 18, 2002 7:07 am

She was checked in private by a female officer, in accordance with Islamic laws, so she is stupid for thinking she was debased Smile
.....up there with the best!

baec777

Fri Jan 18, 2002 7:25 am

Oh Well, Thats not a problem as long Private sections are installed for each group like for "{Men Alone}" & "{Women Alone}".

baec777  Smile

magyar

I Hate This Attitude

Fri Jan 18, 2002 8:56 am

LOT767-300ER wrote:

>>
People like this should be deported from the USA if they dont like it here. God help those people who just sue and complain and bitch all the time. You dont like it here? Fine leave and shutup.
<<

Uhm, how do you know that she was not a US citizen?
I don't know, but her ``sueing'' habit seems very american
(I would not be surprised if a foreign national who happened
to be muslim, would rather try to keep low profile nowadays).
Anyway, I don't think that you and your alikes sets what
is the USA and what should be liked about it and who
goes where. Also, let me remind you that unless you are
native american you and your family is not the first on this
land either and when the native americans expressed a
kind of ``if you don't like our way you can go home'' opinion,
I don't remember anyone going home.

Janos

fspilot747

Fri Jan 18, 2002 9:30 am

There must me more to this story...why is she suing?? She was taken to a private room for searching...I think it was pretty stupid of them to make her strip down to search her more, but...it was a private room. Maybe the security guard thought.."hmm...while we're here..." I don't know..there must be more.

-FSPilot747

jsuen

Fri Jan 18, 2002 10:05 am

I agree. Nothing is as clear cut as it seems. There's going to be plenty of finger pointing.

fly_emirates

Fri Jan 18, 2002 1:33 pm

guys,

in Dubai they do this all the time, women get searched in private places by female federal marshalls and get striped down. they didnt sue, so what is her problem?

donder10

Fri Jan 18, 2002 1:40 pm

She's out for a quick buck really.I don't think she was victimised.

yyz717

Fri Jan 18, 2002 2:09 pm

The only one who will get a quick buck is her lawyer.

I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

ILOVEA340

Fri Jan 18, 2002 2:18 pm

that whole thing of being searched even though you don't beep isn't true.
I got the full patdown and remove your belt thing at Fra even though I didn"t beep either times.

wadha

Sat Jan 19, 2002 10:01 am

now, i was against taking our scarves in public. but as i hear that she went in a private room, i have no more comment on this stupidity and nonsense!

ejaymd11

Sat Jan 19, 2002 3:00 pm

Read the post again very very slowly. I read striped and searched after she removed her head scarf.

Ejay MD-11

od-bwh

Sat Jan 19, 2002 3:23 pm

Guys... Take it easy.

I don't think there's any thing wrong with searching people! I've heared that these are picked randomly for security reaons!!!

I'm Muslim, and I beleive there was no problem for that lady to take her headscarf in private! But the idea of stripping down... Do they do this to all people? i.e., Could you end up asked to strip down in front of the public??  Big thumbs up

Anyways, one can't just guess what happened... maybe the guard was too rude for her. Hoo noz?
A300, A319, A320, A321, A332, A333, A343, A346, A388, B734, B738, B744, B772, B773, B788, F70, MD11, CRJ700

VirginA340

Sat Jan 19, 2002 4:18 pm

She is simply out for the money. Argenbrite of chicago actually does something right and is sued for it. Outrageuos! She was taken into a privateroom by female officers end of the conversation! I think she should be fined by airport police for the delay she caused on the flight she was boarding.Her whining will get her no where! I'm Indian yet I'm sometimes mistaken for Middle Eastern. Hey If they want to search me then go right ahead. I've got nothin to hide and I'll shake the screeners hands for feeping a tight ship. If the lady doesn't like it then she can get her high and mighty greedy ass on the next Greyhound and scram!
"FUIMUS"