SJCguy
Topic Author

Would Any Of You Mind Flying For Free?

Fri Jan 18, 2002 5:58 am

I work for SW, and one of the perks we get is unlimited free flights whenever, wherever, that simple. Also, after a few months of employment, you can enjoy free flights on most other carriers. I just got back from DTW via NW, all free, all first class. Every week on my days off, I go up to either Seattle to visit my friends (use to live up there), or I go to SAN to go surfing, or wherever else I feel like going. I'm going to New Zealand in June on Air New Zealand, and paying 230.00 round trip.

Now, wipe the drool off your face, and go apply at SW. I'd say go to any airline and apply, but we are the only one hiring right now, and we have the best travel benefits around. You gotta be 18 and flexible w/ your schedule. This isnt an ad for a job, but I just don't like seeing you all paying for flights when you are this into aviation...  Smile have fun..

SJCguy

PanAm747

RE: Would Any Of You Mind Flying For Free?

Fri Jan 18, 2002 6:02 am

I agree, I miss my passes with Delta  Sad

I'm thinking a lot about airline jobs now. Maybe an airport operations guy in a big city, even though it won't give me passes.

But there are bad parts at working for an airline or the city. You may not get paid much and NRSA always means "space available", so sometimes it's not always "wherever and whenever".

SW has agreements with NW?
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

Why work?? Buddy passes are they way to go!
Iain

UALbrat

I wish I had, about 25 years ago!! Being the son of two UAL employees (hence my username) I had the pleasure of free and nearly-free travel for many, many years, and a brief taste of it again when UA had the companions passes. I hope they'll reinstate them one day...

BlatantEcho

I think it is sweet that you are putting a plug up for WN based soley on the fact that you love your job and the airline you are a part of. Would that all airlines treated their most valued asset as WN does, and in return got the hard working loyalty and enthusiasm that SJCguy is displays in ALL his posts.

Great post Big grin
They're not handing trophies out today

CcrlR

Fri Jan 18, 2002 6:03 am

yeah that would be nice do Airline mechanics get free trips too or is it anyone who works for a airline?
"He was right, it is a screaming metal deathtrap!"-Cosmo (from the Fairly Oddparents)

PanAm747

Fri Jan 18, 2002 6:09 am

CcrlR-It's anyone who works for an airline
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

TG992

Fri Jan 18, 2002 6:11 am

No offence, but all he plugged was what his employer's doing for him, not what he's doing for his employer!
-

SJCguy
Topic Author

Fri Jan 18, 2002 6:55 am

TG992- with all due respect, fly SW one time and during the flight read about our financial success, and how we are now worth more than every U.S. airline combined right now, how we have not laid off 1 single employee in all 30 years, and you'll realize what me along with my fellow 30,000+ employees do and will continue to do for our company. I'm tryin to get all you dudes and dudettes pumped up about flight benies. It's awesome to work with fellow employees who live and breath aviation like we all do...

SJCguy

ryu2

Fri Jan 18, 2002 7:00 am

Aren't these benefits available on any other airline as well (the major passenger ones, at least?)?

nighthawk

Fri Jan 18, 2002 7:02 am

right i want a job for abritish airline. Now what jobs can i do part time in the evenings and weekends that require no qualifications? Oh well, i guess thats out of the question for another 4 years then. If i work for an airline in the computing department do i get free flights too?

Greg

Fri Jan 18, 2002 7:07 am

Yeah...but the pay stinks! I think I'll stick with Law. But thanks!!!

EA CO AS

Fri Jan 18, 2002 7:16 am

You may be all rah-rah-rah about WN, and that's great, but not everyone has to drink your Kool-Aid. ALL airline employees get free and/or reduced rate travel privileges; WN didn't invent this benefit.

Am I the only one who has noticed that WN employees always sound like they're either trying to get you to sell Amway or they're religious missionaries trying to convert people when it comes to talking about their company?  Big grin

"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

goingboeing

Fri Jan 18, 2002 7:32 am

EA CO AS - Odd you should mention that, Several years ago I was watching the planes out at MCI. An older guy was out there with his grandkid doing the same thing. He was wearing a SWA "Born to Ship" t-shirt. I asked him if he worked for SWA. He did, and he was very positive about his company. He used to work for Braniff 1. When they folded, he went to Southwest. So he had something to compare. He said the differences between the two companies was like night and day. No, SWA didn't invent travel privledges, but they happen to have a workforce that for the most part, ENJOYS their work and RESPECTS their employer, due in large part to the fact that their employer RESPECTS them. I was so impressed with the guy that I wrote Herb Kelleher. I got a response from Mr. Kelleher, along with a copy of the letter Herb sent to the gentleman. How often do rampers get a personal letter from the CEO at most other airlines? Maybe that's why their "Kool Aid" tastes so good.

2cn

Fri Jan 18, 2002 7:45 am

Ryu2- yes they are, and out of them all I believe Delta has the best flight pass benifits.

Fri Jan 18, 2002 9:07 am

>>but we are the only one hiring right now<<

Um, AirTran is hiring now too. If I remember correctly Travatl said like 500 new flight attendants trained by the end of April. Then that means that there will be more pilots, rampers, etc.

PS: Any update on that or some of the items in the large announcement Travis?

airfrancejfk

Fri Jan 18, 2002 11:19 am

Actually AF is also hiring this month. Anyone interested, go to www.AirFrance.com under the employment section.

UALfa@jfk

Fri Jan 18, 2002 11:28 am

>>I had the pleasure of free and nearly-free travel for many, many years, and a brief taste of it again when UA had the companions passes. I hope they'll reinstate them one day...<<

UABrat,

UA has already reinstated the companion pass program thru February. At that time they'll "evaluate" the program's "feasibility" to continue. If they don't have any problems of "abuse" with them (as they so claimed), they will continue them through the year.

OH-LGA

Fri Jan 18, 2002 12:10 pm

SJCguy: When you said SW, did you mean Southwest (WN) or SkyWest (OO)  Big grin

You're quite wrong when you said that Southwest is the only hiring... in fact we at SkyWest in San Francisco are hiring right now for PT Ops Agents, and I believe PT/FT CSA's and Ramp Agents as well (not sure though). Doesn't hurt when you're expanding into the main terminal... usually you need more people  Big grin

And those United Write-Your-Own's that UAX employees get (yes, 8C priority with day-of-departure seniority which bites big ones... but we turn around and smack United just as bad) are lovely... First Class to JFK was a delight. And also unlimited online travel (UAX & DLC SkyWest systems), plus those lovely things called station agreements... I couldn't work for anybody else... plus I love my co-workers, I couldn't bear to leave my friends.

But yes, go apply at an airline... if you love aviation it's the way to go  Smile

Kai
Head in the clouds... yet feet planted firmly on the ground.

nonrevman

Fri Jan 18, 2002 12:27 pm

It sure is nice, isn't it? I think that the travel benefits are the greatest benefit of working for an airline. True, it involves a great deal of flexibility. However, there is no way that any other job would pay me enough money to take at least one trip a month.

Looking forward to the next trip--tapas in Madrid!

dash8tech

Fri Jan 18, 2002 12:33 pm

AS and QX have some openings too...

Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Av8trxx

WN Benefits

Fri Jan 18, 2002 1:21 pm

While a few other airlines may be doing some hiring, SWA is the only major US carrier that is consistently picking up people in all departments- even after 9-11. While the newhire pay may be average at best at WN, the benefits are stellar!

All employees get UNLIMITED, SERVICE FREE pass priviledges from day one. So do all their dependants (spouse, parents, kids). In addition employess also get 2 RT FREE space available passes to give to anyone with every three months of perfect attendance (or 8 per year) and if unmarried, they can designate a "companion" who gets 4 RT free passes per year. In almost every station, the local personnel in each city have 'over the counter pass agreements', which basically allows ticketing for FREE on many other carriers in that station in exchange for free tickets on WN. (In SAN WN gets passes on CO, HP, US, AE, OO, HA, & F9 and AS & NW are $25 OW)

For those employees who are not crewmembers and work 5 days a week, (rampers, CSAs ect) they give one "free day" per month. This is basically a floating monthly holiday, bid by seniority, above ones yearly vacation that's given by the company. It's a freebie that's an incentive not to call in sick. Everyone always gets their one 'free day' off work per month (and it can usually be aligned with scheduled days off). This amounts to 10 extra vacation days per year courtesy of the company above your alotment! A new hire who workd at least 40 hours will get a paid day off their first month with the compnay! (After 1 yr of service, you get two weeks paid vacation. After 5 yrs you get 3 weeks.) In Nov & Dec everyone gets Thanksgiving & Christmas off then they let people bid to work. They only junior people into it if they don't get enough volunteers. These are the only two holidays SWA observes or gives holiday pay for.

In addition basic medical & dental coverage for the employee is all FREE, paid for by the company. There is also a 401K match and an ESPP program that lets you buy WN stock for a 10% discount. There is also a profit sharing program. (I have been given over $40,000 US in stock by the company since I have started. That ain't bad for free!)

Other airlines may fly to more 'exotic' destinations, or have bigger jets but it's hard to beat the benefits at SWA! When I got hired at AMR I had to wait for 6 months for any passes or medical coverage! Then when I got laid off, they took our I.D.s away ASAP while others got benefits for 60 days after furlough.

If ya ask me, every employee has a reason to rave about the generosity of this company- even if they don't drink the "Kool-Aid" or wear the free T-shirts.  Big thumbs up

acidradio
Crew

Fri Jan 18, 2002 2:02 pm

Mesaba at MSP is hiring for ramp and counter right now. Pretty good flight benefits (free on Mesaba, $20 on NW domestic, and those start the day you are hired, plus lots of other interline benefits that you pick up over time), flexible hrs, good shift trade policy (if someone will take your shifts, you have the day off, you can travel anywhere you want). Fun group of people. And if you love planes, there is no better place on earth to be than right there on the tarmac with them!
Ich haben zwei Platzspielen und ein Microphone

FutureFO

Fri Jan 18, 2002 8:46 pm

As far as flying for free. I work for ACA..dba United Express. The flight benefits we get are free unlimited passes worldwide on UAL and a slight charge for International First Class. We are also a Delta Connection airline and pay 30USD each way domestic and ID95 for International trips. So it pays to work for an airline in the long run the only downside is it is Standby.
I Don't know where I am anymore

HSVXJ

Sat Jan 19, 2002 12:39 am

Acidradio-

A poor coworker of ours had the misfortune of being chosen to work a week TDY on the ramp up there in MSP. Apparently, its hard to keep people up there in the winter time. He hated it. I hope I never have to do it.

But, yeah, Mesaba does give really good flight benefits. I love the self writes, the free flights on 9E, the Northwest 20 dollars, and our inter-airport agreements (I fly Delta 2X more than Northwest these days...)

I hear mixed reviews about WN, but I've neither worked for them nor have flown them. (More good than bad about working for them, more bad than good about flying on them) so I don't have an opinion. But, if I were to move to a WN city, I would surely consider applying there first.

chRis
http://www.spaldingcm.com
Nature forms us for ourselves, not for others; to be, not to seem.

UALbrat

Sat Jan 19, 2002 12:46 am

UALfa@jfk: Thanks for the news on UA passes. I'm glad I didn't toss my unused ones from 2001. I hope there are no more allegations of abuse.

JC5280

Sat Jan 19, 2002 1:16 am

All due respect, with Southwest you can fly anywhere, that is, just in the US. And if you want to go trans-con you will probably have to stop 5 or six times and re-standby.

Working with UA, my trips around the country are simple. Usually on a non-stop flight in a 757, Airbus, or a 777 or 747. A real trip is over to Singapore or Australia for the weekend...in First Class Sleeperettes.

Sure a Southwest employee can fly on almost any other airline, but it costs, and you get put at the bottom of the standby list, after all of our employees, parents, friends, pets, companions, etc.

Just stating the real truth. I have friends that work at WN, this is what they tell me. Of course, they get to wear khakis and tennis shoes!

Flyer732

Sat Jan 19, 2002 1:24 am

You aren't the only one hiring chief. Check jetBlue and better yet, check AirTran.

Ryan
AirTran/ATL

goingboeing

Sat Jan 19, 2002 1:42 am

All due respect, with Southwest you can fly anywhere, that is, just in the US. And if you want to go trans-con you will probably have to stop 5 or six times and re-standby.

Misconception number 1 - Southwest has 17 daily flights from BWI to LAX - 12 are one stop with a change of planes - sort of like flying thru a hub at ORD or DEN. They've got 16 daily flights from BWI - OAK, 3 one stop direct, 4 one stop with a change, and 3 3 stop directs.

Sure a Southwest employee can fly on almost any other airline, but it costs, and you get put at the bottom of the standby list, after all of our employees, parents, friends, pets, companions, etc.

Just stating the real truth. I have friends that work at WN, this is what they tell me. Of course, they get to wear khakis and tennis shoes!

With loads on most other airlines being what they are, being at the bottom of the standby list might well get one a first class seat.

barney captain

Sat Jan 19, 2002 3:57 pm

Hate to bust your bubble but..........when I worked for Skywest, we had MUCH better pass bennies then I do now at WN - we just recently got (sub-par) agreements with UA,AA, and DL. I love my job but the truth is, at Skywest we had unlimited online passes with Skywest as well as DL (now to include UA). Now, as a ground agent with WN, you may be able to do better with a local agreement, but this is not a company negotiated benny, it is only for those at that particular airport. Now, having said all that, there's more to the job then just passes  Smile
Southeast Of Disorder

JC5280

Sat Jan 19, 2002 5:45 pm

With loads on most other airlines being what they are, being at the bottom of the standby list might well get one a first class seat.

You haven't flown on United lately! Maybe on a Tuesday or Wednesday, but try to fly from Denver to Chicago (2 hrs) on a Friday or Sunday!

My suggestion for WN employees....

Get your company to make your interline passes easier for you to get! Right now, its a lengthy process where you have to come to our ticket counter, and hopefully an agent knows how to pull up the profile for WN. Then, the ticket may not be issued right away.

Again, with all due respect (because I admire WN and the employees' mentality), A few BWI-LAX trips is not what I consider transcon service. Try:
LAX-PHL, LAX-IAD, LAX-JFK, LAX-MIA, LAX-MCO, LAX-EWR, LAX-BOS, LAX-ORD, ... etc. just to start.

b747ca

Sat Jan 19, 2002 6:33 pm

Nobody mentioned what the wages are like $$$$$
ma va funk ulo

DeltaSFO

Sat Jan 19, 2002 6:40 pm

I don't mind flying for free at all. Delta, along with United, offers the industry's best travel benefits. Unlimited free travel in North America, Hawaii, the Caribbean, and South America. Nine free transoceanic roundtrips, with a $75 per leg service fee once the nine freebies are used up. All in the highest available class of service.

I like international travel and take full advantage of Delta's mighty transatlantic route structure. It amazes me how many people at Delta work for years and never go to Europe, even once.
It's a new day. Every moment matters. Now, more than ever.

Turbolet

Sat Jan 19, 2002 6:57 pm

Flying for free? No, I wouldn't mind at all, provided I wouldn't be shaken down at a security checkpoint for an hour and a half before the flight... x' affarijiet dawn!
-turbolet

skippy777

Sat Jan 19, 2002 7:30 pm

Just go to my site I give them for free also.

Only until June 2002.

goingboeing

Sat Jan 19, 2002 9:39 pm

B747ca - Wages are very competitve with the rest of the industry.

Herbman

Sat Jan 19, 2002 9:53 pm

Yeah I have flown together with my good friend Sabena332 from LAX to LAS and back with National. It was a very pleasent flight with them. The offer was $46.00 p.P.(incl. return ticket) but they charged nothing on my credit card. That was cool because we flown for $ 0.00!
Regards

Sebastian

L-188

Sat Jan 19, 2002 9:56 pm

I used to have passes when I worked for Reeve....I miss those
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos