bobcat

What's The Longest Time You've Slept On A Plane?

Sun Jan 20, 2002 6:19 am

What's the longest time you've slept on a plane?
My personal "record" is 11 and half hours
on a flight from LAX to NRT a year ago.
I hadn't slept the previous two night.
As soon as the plane reached cruising
level, I fell asleep. My business class seat
was upright the whole time and I didn't
even open my eyes once. I finally woke
up shortly before the plane descended.
The flight attendant said she might have
assumed that I was dead, if I hadn't
moved while sleeping and some slight
snoring... I was just "dead tired"  Smile

RoyalDutch

RE: What's The Longest Time You've Slept On A Plane?

Sun Jan 20, 2002 6:29 am

I never sleep on planes...i enjoy the flight too much. I have only slept one one flight in my life...it was a AMS-PRG flight on CSA and I was wasted form lack of sleep the night before. I slept about an hour and a half total (woke for meal)...right through takoff and landing, too....I wil never sleep through landing again...my ears hurt for days.  Sad

Sabena332

Sun Jan 20, 2002 6:44 am

I agree with RoyalDutch. I never sleep in a plane because you have enough time to sleep on the ground. But one time, on a night flight from ATL to SFO I sleept for approx. 1 hour.

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

H. Simpson

Sun Jan 20, 2002 6:50 am

I can't sleep on a plane at all, the maximum time is 35 minutes on a 17 hour flight from NRT to JFK.

corocks

Sun Jan 20, 2002 6:50 am

I have a very hard time sleeping on planes. No idea why. Even the 18hrs+ flights in buisness class I maybe sleep about 1 hr straight through. Probably a few 10min naps here and there.

airplanetire

Sun Jan 20, 2002 6:54 am

I have slept on a plane only twice ever. Once, in the early 90s, my family and I had flown from CVG to ORD. We then got onto a flight from ORD to Rockford on American Eagle. It was the night time then, and I slept for the whole 20 minutes or so that the flight lasted. The other time was on a flight in June of 2000 on a flight from ATL to BRU. I was in economy (I've never flown anything higher) on the Delta MD-11. My mom insisted that I slept, so I took an Ambien (sleeping medicine). I got about 3 hours of sleep on that flight. That was amazing considering how cramped and uncomfortable it was! Otherwise, I have had no success sleeping on airplanes. On a flight from ATL to ZRH in June of 2001, I took one and a half Ambiens, got earplugs, and got one of those eye cover things, and didn't get a minute of sleep. I was in economy, but it was more comfortable than Delta.

Lt-AWACS

Sun Jan 20, 2002 7:15 am

well on the AWACS my max in the air time is over 21 hours (that was with 3 aerial refuelings). I go back to a bunk and sleep all the time. On average I am flying 12-16 hours missions weekly for operation Noble Eagle.

On a commerical flight my longest is around 8.5 hours for over water to Europe flights

My shortest Commercial flight has been several hops on the Ellington Field to Bush-IAH Continental Express service inter- Houston about 10 minutes.

Io voglio fica ogni giorni da mia bella moglie!

kl713

Sun Jan 20, 2002 7:23 am

7 hours, on a Air France flight from Fort de France to Paris CDG (742)
732 733 734 73G 738 739 742 743 744 752 763 77E 773 77W 319 320 332 333 343 388 M11 146 DH4

chepos

Sun Jan 20, 2002 7:32 am

I also can't sleep on airplanes, maybe cause of the excitement. I think maybe once may have sleeped for maybe 45 minutes on a flight but no more than that.
Chepos
Fly the Flag!!!!

BOEING747-700

Sun Jan 20, 2002 7:39 am

Chepos, I hear ya on that. I can't sleep on Airplanes at all too. I get to excited when I am in them. But I can't sleep in anymoving object. Plane Car boat bus train its all the same. I am awake all the time.

9V-SVE

Sun Jan 20, 2002 8:15 am

I hate sleep. The most I've slept is 1 hr and 15 mins. (Took A Break from playing games on SQ flight)

LOT767-300ER

Sun Jan 20, 2002 8:23 am

ORD-Rockford?
Dude how long was that flight? 10 minutes?

Arsenal@LHR

Sun Jan 20, 2002 9:35 am

15 minutes. Sleeping on a plane is something i will never be able to do. I've tried and it doesn't work

Arsenal@LHR
In Arsene we trust!!

artsyman

Sun Jan 20, 2002 10:16 am

I slept probably about 12 hours on the EWR-HKG flight on Continental a few months back, I also slept about 11 on the IAH-NRT flight. I used to be the same as most of the comments on here in that I would be to into the flight to want to sleep, but aftera while of flying all the time, and looking at white clouds, I get tired and want to sleep, especially as they force feed you in business first for the first 3 hours of the flight

jer

kaitakfan

Sun Jan 20, 2002 10:27 am

How on earth can NRT-JFK last 17 hours especially east bound? The most I have slept was after my third weekend flight down of last school semmester to Sydney Australia from San Francisco. I would fly out Thursday night, get in saturday drink heaps and be out in clubs until 5AM and do the same on sunday only until 3AM when the pubs start kicking us out. After hardly any sleep and alot of drinking (counting 5 beers before departure) On the monday flight home I went to sleep an hour into the flight... Woke up over the equator, then back to sleep until 30 minutes out of SFO. Thats the only time I usually sleep alot, after blowing myself out in Australia for 2 nights in a row! gota love the joys of standby travel!

UAL747

Sun Jan 20, 2002 10:30 am

The longest that I have slept was from PEK-ORD on UA850 (777-200). I was talking with a professor from Northwestern (Chicago), and we started drinking scotch. Drank for about 6 hours and then passed out. I slept for about 8 hours and woke up about 45 min out of Chicago. It was great. However, I was still kinda drunk when I left the plane.....got all the way through customs and then realized I left all of my carry on baggage on the plane. It was hell trying to get it back.

UAL747
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

Mark2102

Sun Jan 20, 2002 10:31 am

I don't like to sleep on a plane. The most time would be for aroound 10 minutes.

IMissPiedmont

Sun Jan 20, 2002 10:33 am

Maybe 10 minutes on a flight from DCA to PIT in June 1972. I had left RDU at 0600 the previous day, spent the day at IAD for Transpo '72, spent the night at DCA wandering empty halls and looking at Washington from the observation deck. On the NW flight in the morning only 6 people, maybe 7, showed up. We all got put in first class, with all the service included. After the meal and hot towel, I went out until my ears told me we were on approach to PIT. That woke me up. I've been more tired since but I just don't sleep on aircraft. I just love seeing the world pass by too much.
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

SIA_B777

Sun Jan 20, 2002 11:36 am

10 minutes on tpe-lax

Sun Jan 20, 2002 12:29 pm

I've never been able to sleep in a moving object. I've never slept in a car or a bus and even after being for almost a day I still couldn't sleep on my flight from YUL-AMS. I must have tried about 10 times but it just wasn't gonna happen.

Matt

desertjets

Sun Jan 20, 2002 2:46 pm

I may have dozed off for like 20, maaaaybe 30 minutes a handful of time in all my years of flying. I am one of those people that can only really sleep well in my own bed, maybe another bed if it is really comfortable.

It is the thing that makes me really hate flying longer flights. There is just nothing for me to do... I can only listen to CDs so much, do homework, read or write. Having a 5 hour night flight from Baltimore to Vegas was just awful for me. I really like flights that are around 2 hours max. I guess I will just have to get liquored up when I fly international I guess... then I won't know what the heck is going on.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

777-200

Sun Jan 20, 2002 3:00 pm

The Longest ive ever slept on a plane is about 4 hours on a CVG-LGW flight.
Another Day, Another Dollar.... Young Jeezy

spacecadet

Sun Jan 20, 2002 3:49 pm

My gf once slept from before takeoff until landing going from NRT-JFK. Around 16 hours.

Personally, I think the longest I've ever slept is about 5 minutes. Seems like every time I shut my eyes on a plane we hit severe turbulence and I'm wide awake the rest of the flight.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

astrojet

Sun Jan 20, 2002 4:16 pm

About 2 hours on a EZE - MAD flight. I only sleep on long flights just to kill the time.

cba

Sun Jan 20, 2002 4:27 pm

2 hours on an IAH-CDG run on a CO 777-200ER. Total flight time was about 9 hours. I was sitting in an exit row, and a f/a woke me up and told me I couldn't rest my foot on the exit door.

Salina Chan

Sun Jan 20, 2002 5:57 pm

Several hours on AC from and two FRA on numerous occassions and on EK from DXB to SIN and back. All the time in Economy and a few hours in AC Exec. Fst.
But i can sleep anywhere, and the good thing about sleeping on a plane is that unlike when you do it on a train you don't have to worry that you will miss your stop  Wink/being sarcastic
Once on an AC 330 i started sleeping during the deicing and next thing i remember we are on 15000ft.

I love flying as well, but after all, there isn't so much you can do anyways (since you can't visit the flt deck anymore) and once you are up at FL350 there isn't a lot to see (esp. when flying at night) so i sleep and it helps me to cope with the jet lag.

Sally

funny

Sun Jan 20, 2002 6:57 pm

On the flight back from Athens on an Iberia 757, to Madrid, i fell asleep shortly after take-off and woke up about 5 minutes from touchdown.
Of course, the flight departed from Athens at about 4 in the morning so that ment, no sleep the night before.

I never try to fall asleep intentionally, i always try to remain awake and listen to the sound of those engines and the views etc.
 Smokin cool

Jase

boeingnut

Mon Jan 21, 2002 1:12 am

Whoever said it's a 17hr flight from NRT to JFK is wrong. I did that flight back in May 2000 on JAL on my way back from PEK. Total flight time was around 13 hours. Might be 17 if you have to stopover somewhere, but that flight is definitely NOT 17 hours nonstop.

On the night before that flight, my friends and I were put up in the Nikko Narita by JAL (not bad, but not great either, just nice and clean), and we stayed up the entire night talking since we knew it would be the last time we would see each other for a while, and also to try and fight the jetlag that we knew would hit us if we didn't. So we stayed up till 4 in the morning, and woke up at 7 for breakfast and checkin in the hotel. My good friend and I wore some nice clothes (just because we didnt want to throw them into our suitcases and get them all wrinkled). I guess that Y was filled, so the nice woman and check-in offered my friend and I an upgrade to business. Flight took off at noon, and was scheduled to arrive in JFK around 11:00, so we decided to drink enough to enhance our sleep. We each toasted our time in China many times that flight, and as soon as we were done with our meal, we went to sleep. That was well before we crossed the International Date Line. The next thing I knew we were somewhere over Lake Michigan. Woke up in time to rehydrate myself enough so that I was feeling good walking down the jetway towards customs in T1 at JFK  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

-Boeingnut
Excuse me, but what does God need with a starship?

FRA_GIM

Mon Jan 21, 2002 1:57 am

I did only sleep once in a plane. It was on Varig Business Class from Rio to FRA; but only about 1 hour.

USAFHummer

Mon Jan 21, 2002 2:41 am

For me, I slept about 8 hours on SYD-LAX, I was dead tired because we had tried to pull an all nighter our last night in Australia, on the previous flight, CNS-SYD (a very early morning departure), I slept for about 2 hours and the final flight, LAX-PHL, I slept for 4 hours (that was in First so it helped a little).

I also slept about 7 hours on LAX-SYD while heading down to Australia...

I usually dont sleep on planes but those were the lone exceptions.

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

deltairlines

RE: What's The Longest Time You've Slept On A Plan

Mon Jan 21, 2002 7:17 am

2 minutes on a BA 777 BOS-LHR redeye. After about 2 minutes sleeping, I woke up, and an hour later we landed at Heathrow (only a 4h30m flight because of strong winds)

Jeff

Sabena332

Mon Jan 21, 2002 7:23 am

4h30min flight time from BOS (America) to LHR (Europe), that is cool. A flight within the US from BOS to LAX takes more time than this intercontinental flight. The shortest flight time for me on a flight from the USA to Europe was 7h50min (JFK-BRU).

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

donder10

Mon Jan 21, 2002 7:26 am

Longest I've slept on plane has to be about 6 hours YYZ-LGW with Royal Airlines on a 310.It was morning departure and I fell asleep over Montreal.Woke up as we were descending over the English South COast.Saw 3 ferries going into Portsmouth,routed over Brighton and turned North.
Alex

brains

Mon Jan 21, 2002 10:00 am

Never.
Brains

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos