hkniceguy

The Most Powerful Reversers?

Mon Jan 21, 2002 9:03 am

Which airliner/engine type has the most powerful reverser thrust? Is the EPR of full forward equal full reverse? Or the EPR of full reverse are less then full forward? And what is "idle reverse" means?

TWAalltheway

RE: The Most Powerful Reversers?

Mon Jan 21, 2002 11:34 am

i dont know about you, but ive been in 757's with PW2000's and let me tell u, they slow down very quickly, extremely quick.

TWAalltheway

Skystar

Mon Jan 21, 2002 12:08 pm

It's often said that the reverse value of 'reverse thrust' is worth about 25% of its forward equivalent.

I was told by an NZ captain that the 732s had much better reversers than the 733s (not surprising if you look at the design).

Cheers,

Justin

fanofjets

Mon Jan 21, 2002 12:09 pm

Idle reverse is when the reverse thrust mechanism has been engaged but with the engine on idle. You won't hear the loud noise usually associated with reverse thrust. Pilots use this setting when, at touchdown, there is sufficient runway ahead not to warrant full reverse thrust, which adds wear and tear on the engines. The plane will slow down a little, usually enough for the wheel brakes to finish the job of decelerating.

As for strongest reverse thrust, I would bet on any of the three engines that power the 777.
The aeroplane has unveiled for us the true face of the earth. -Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Mon Jan 21, 2002 12:29 pm

The clam-shell type reversers found on turbojet engines, and some tail mounted turbofan engines are by-far the most effective—reversing all of the engines output. The bypass-thrust reversing type mechanism (found on most turbofan engines, and only on turbofan engines since turbojets don’t have any bypass) only reverses the cold bypass air (air going through the first big fan, not through the turbine combustion stage), allowing exhaust thrust to continue out the rear. The second type is still very effective, due to the fact the majority of the turbofan engines thrust comes from the bypass-air. And maintenance costs on the bypass-reverse system are presumably less.

Cam