jcxp15

AirTran's Next Move.. Well Future Actually?

Mon Jan 21, 2002 12:50 pm

Where do you think AirTran's next couple of cities will be? Do you think they're looking into smaller cities (since Rochester was just added)?
It looks like BWI is going to become a profitable market from them... Will AirTran move out of ATL as hub, and possibly into BWI. Having both as hub's seems unwise since they're so close together.

Also, AirTran has stayed for the most part in the Eastern 1/3rd of the country. I'm sure they'll eventually move west, but any ideas when and where?

LOL... a lot of questions.. I really like AirTran and would love to see them suceed even more so...
I guess in general, what do you foresee as AirTran's future?

RE: AirTran's Next Move.. Well Future Actually?

Mon Jan 21, 2002 12:53 pm

I've heard TUL, but I expect more growing in the east for a little bit. Some more point-point stuff, and a couple new airports, maybe IND or CLT.

5280AGL

Mon Jan 21, 2002 12:58 pm

I think they really need to start new service to some midwest cities (west of the Mississippi). Markets like MCI, OMA, and COS would be a great start. They have virtually no presence West of the Mississippi, tapping into that resource would hardly be a bad move.

MAH4546

Mon Jan 21, 2002 1:07 pm

5280GL, why don't you tell that to Midway.

airTran has a deal with the state of Florida to provide new intra-Florida routes, so definitley look for those. My money is on MIA-PNS.
a.

DeltaBoy777

Mon Jan 21, 2002 1:08 pm

I believe COS would be a good market since Vanguard and Great Plains moved in there!!
Thanks and Gig Em!

spinkid

Mon Jan 21, 2002 1:13 pm

I don't imagine they would abandon Atlanta as a hub, that is their bread and butter. They will be using BWI for it's O & D as well as connecting service.

Hoffa

Mon Jan 21, 2002 1:14 pm

A 717 or DC9 can only go so far from ATL or PIT. Colorado is impossible given the range of these jets. Food for thought.

jcxp15

Mon Jan 21, 2002 1:15 pm

Man4546... MIA - PNS sounds reasonable, and perhaps likely (with that deal). I mean, US has PNS - TPA..
DL has PNS - MCO... so AirTran's PNS - MCO wouldn't be too bad.

I've taken the TPA - PNS flight several times, and I talked to about 3 people who were coming from MIA (this is only one about 3 or 4 flights) and I know some people who live in PNS who travel to MIA frequently for business, and hate traveling to ATL / TPA / MCO to connect.

chepos

Mon Jan 21, 2002 1:20 pm

They should think of doing a MIA-MCO route, yes they would face a lot of competition but the fares on this route are outrageous. We need a low fare carrier on that route.
Chepos
Fly the Flag!!!!

DeltaBoy777

RE: AirTran's Next Move..-Hoffa

Mon Jan 21, 2002 1:23 pm

If they connected from Atlanta to Colorado Springs via Dallas/Fort Worth or Houston (existing cities operated by AirTran) I think it would provide competition with American, Delta, and Continental. And with their low fares it might be more appealing to customers, than jacked up fares on American and Delta.
Thanks and Gig Em!

Mon Jan 21, 2002 1:24 pm

>>A 717 or DC9 can only go so far from ATL or PIT. Colorado is impossible given the range of these jets. Food for thought.<<

More food for thought: the 717 can fly nonstop ATL-COS/DEN, but not ATL-LAS. It can barely do BWI-DEN/COS, maybe with a slight weight penalty.

jcxp15

Mon Jan 21, 2002 1:25 pm

Couldn't a B717 (AirTran's more specifically) make it from ATL to DEN while still meeting the FAA requirements for landing requirements etc...

DeltaBoy777

Mon Jan 21, 2002 1:26 pm

Very true, they could just run Non-Stops from ATL if they wanted to. COS I think would provide ample revenue if they tried it!
Thanks and Gig Em!

usairways85

Mon Jan 21, 2002 1:29 pm

anyone know what airtran will be doing at PHL. will they drop routes due to its relative short distance from BWI. will they keep the 4 gates at phl they had planned to used in a month or so?

MAH4546

Mon Jan 21, 2002 1:33 pm

Jcxp15, two of USAirway's TPA-PNS flights originate in Miami. I still find it just ridiculous that there is no non-stop service on the route. Miami in general lacks Florida flights (even though MIA-MCO and MIA-TPA are the #1 and #2 regional routes in the US), one large reason is American Eagle's reluctance to serve the intra-Florida market well (they serve MIA-TPA and MIA-MCO well; in fact AA has mainline MIA-TPA/MCO service; but others are lacking). MIA has no jet service/first class service to JAX, which is disgraceful, and pretty sad that the only jet service between Miami and Jacksonville is on Southwest.

Chepos, I am almost positive airTran did MIA-MCO until last spring.
a.

BonanzaFunjet

Remember Airtran is looking for an aircraft with legs. They will look west when they have all they want in the east. Look for JAX-MIA, SYR, and ICT. All will have travel banks involved.

BonanzaFunjet

DeltaBoy777

AirTran could most definently fly non-stop flights from ATL-COS, or ATL-DEN flights.
Thanks and Gig Em!

DeltaBoy777

Mon Jan 21, 2002 1:36 pm

Why would AirTran move to ICT in the future, when it has been proven COS, and DEN have been more profitable markets. And please don't tell me "It's underserved"!
Thanks and Gig Em!

747firstclass

Mon Jan 21, 2002 1:44 pm

I heard a very interesting story from a very very well placed source in BMI, where Air Tran has been for a few years. BMI recently lost service to Denver. There is also been considerable talk there of perhaps a BMI-BWI flight. That part of Illinois can use some direct service to the east, mainly the DC/BWI area. There has also been some talk of doing a BWI-BMI-Denver flight, for the reasons that were outlined above. Also it would be able to quickly get and in out of BMI, making it more competitive to other nonstop BWI-Denver flights.

John

Mon Jan 21, 2002 1:52 pm

I don't think Boeing is exactly ready to move forward with a 717-300. So, if AirTran is ready to expand west, what aircraft do you think they should use? Although, I think they should concentrate on markets that have been severely curtailed by their larger piers, I think they should remain somewhat conservative for the time being, given the depressed state of affairs in the air travel industry right now.

LoneStarMike

Mon Jan 21, 2002 1:56 pm

Y'all tell me what you think about this. How about AUS?

For one thing, we have two vacant gates, Gate 25 and the old TWA gate, Gate 3. Plus, Vanguard is currently at Gate 24 and if they were to move down to Gate 3 it would actually be a LOT closer to their ticket counter. Then that would leave Gates 24 and 25 vacant.

Delta has a monopoly on the AUS-ATL flights, so let AirTran do a few of those. Also, NO airline flies AUS-MSY or AUS-FLL/MIA nonstop, so if AirTran were to do those they'd have a monopoly. Or maybe they could even do AUS-MSY-FLL. Used to be, nobody flew AUS-MCI nonstop, then Vanguard came to AUS. I thought I had read earlier (in this forum) that their loads weren't too good, yet I see where they added a third AUS-MCI last month. Maybe AirTran could have the same success with MSY and FLL.

Also, if they wanted to get sneaky, they could also do one nonstop each AUS-MCO and AUS-TPA. Right now, Southwest has the only nonstops to MCO and TPA and they just have 1 per day. From AUS, they have a 5:55 p.m. departure to TPA and a 8:30 p.m. departure to MCO. If AirTran were to serve those city-pairs, they'd probably want to have a morning or midday departure to TPA & MCO to complement Southwest's schedule, much like their new Florida service out of BWI will do.

Coming back to AUS, Southwest's nonstops depart TPA at 7:20 a.m. and MCO at 3:20 p.m., so AirTran could do an afternoon/evening flight from TPA and and maybe a mid-morning flight from MCO.

I would actually like to see AirTran and Southwest pair up in more cities. Southwest serving some destinations, and AirTran serving other cities where Southwest doesn't fly. I think if AirTran and Southwest don't try to compete with each other too much, they can both do real damage to the other big guys' yields. All it takes is 1 low-fare carrier in a city-pair to cause the big guys to have to match prices.

And for all the above reasons, I think those same cities would work for SAT should AirTran decide to go there. Just my 2 cents.

LoneStarMike

jcxp15

Mon Jan 21, 2002 3:11 pm

BTW - How are they doing with their service to Grand Isle?

BA

Mon Jan 21, 2002 3:29 pm

There were rumors that AirTran is interested in serving DEN or COS. Not sure from where though....

I also heard MCI.

Regards
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

Mon Jan 21, 2002 9:21 pm

>>I am almost positive airTran did MIA-MCO until last spring.<<

Nope, they haven't. I looked in all my timetables from 1999-2001, and they never flew that route.

>>Why would AirTran move to ICT in the future, when it has been proven COS, and DEN have been more profitable markets. And please don't tell me "It's underserved"!<<

ICT slowly expands their presence in the West, plus there will be a travel bank sitting there waiting for them when they come in. A travel bank makes it a low-risk venture for them, whereas DEN/COS is farther west and much higher risk without a travel bank.

BonanzaFunjet

Mon Jan 21, 2002 10:36 pm

Why would AirTran move to ICT in the future, when it has been proven COS, and DEN have been more profitable markets. And please don't tell me "It's underserved"!

ICT seems to think that they are "underserved". The city is trying to get three, count them three, lowfare airlines to start service there. Frontier, ATA, and Airtran have all been approached to serve ICT with each getting a $5m travel bank. The money is slow to come in, but Airtran is said to have an estimated 40% of all funds collected so far.

http://www.newsalert.com/bin/story?StoryId=CpeER0aicv0KTquLsluzbuKu&FQ=airlines&Nav=na-search-&StoryTitle=airlines

BonanzaFunjet

Mon Jan 21, 2002 11:03 pm

LoneStar,

Any reasonable person (like you and I  Smile ) has to figure that San Antonio and Austin are both very high on AirTran's list if for no other reason than USAirways intention NOT to start previously announced Charlotte flights later this spring. I suspect you will be granted your wish in the not too distant future.

regards

BestWestern

Tue Jan 22, 2002 12:59 am

Ive heard a RIC hub mentioned many times recently. In this way they will attack the Washington catchment area from both sides, whilst benefiting from the strong Virginia local and inbound leisure traffic.

Plans were to replicate RIC and BWI route structure.
You are 100 times more likely to catch a cold on a flight than an average person!

me

Wed Jan 23, 2002 2:15 am

I don't think anyone knows where AirTrans next city will be, including AirTran management.

I'm sure management has spoken with every mid/large sized city within B717 range of BWI, MCO, PHL, PIT and ATL and they are just waiting for a travel bank guarantee to begin service.

Your guess is as good as mine, but in the 4 years I've worked here I've been wrong every time.

P.S. Klaus Gorsch, V.P. of flight operations, in in Europe right now meeting with Airbus, not a rumor but a fact. I imagine he is trying to work out a JetBlue type of deal.

rj777

Wed Jan 23, 2002 3:12 am

5280AGL,

I agree that Air Tran should start service to Omaha. I live there myself, and the last time we got a new airline was when Midwest Express made us their second hub. We need a new airline!

travatl

Thu Jan 24, 2002 10:01 am

As for Western expansion...this has been the source of MUCH speculation during the 6+ years I've worked here. DEN or COS have been off and on the boards for years, as has LAS, but have continually been put on backburners.

As for aircraft types = forget the 717-300. AirTran doesn't want it, and Boeing doesn't want to build it. Yep, Goersch is over with Airbus. The only problem, of course, is that AirTran currently only has FOUR gates in ATL that will accomodate an A320-family aircraft.

Everything currently points to a year of rapid growth for AirTran this. More (and bigger) airplanes, more cities (six new by year end is the current rumor), and so far the speculation of the new "hub" definitely points to a massive build up at BWI. Will probably soon wave goodbye to the PIT-MDW and PIT-PHL flights, to place those aircraft on other routes feeding BWI. The PHL - Florida flights will probably remain as they are consistently strong, and do not succumb to seasonal traffic. The biggest problem facing the carrier is of course 1) getting airplanes fast enough, and bigger yet 2) getting employees recruited, trained, and deployed. Average F/A classes are 25-35. The current class, preparing to graduate now, started with 94.

I think the second quarter will more clearly define the carriers plans for the coming year. Until then, it will be anybody's guess.

Travis

BA

Thu Jan 24, 2002 10:08 am

AirTran gonna get Airbuses, ehhh?

It will be interesting to find out.

There livery on the A319/A320 would look pretty good.

Regards
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

767-332ER

Thu Jan 24, 2002 10:09 am

I don't see them moving out of ATL. MCO might be a better idea.
Twinjets...if one fails, work the other one twice as hard!!!

usairways85

Thu Jan 24, 2002 10:52 am

i agree the phl-pit route wont stay around much longer, airtran already reduced it to 2 flights daily as of april, it will probably be discontinued by the summer. anyone know what gates airtran will be using at phl in a few months?

jmhLUV2fly

Thu Jan 24, 2002 12:24 pm

As far as service to PNS, I think in time it would be marketable for AirTran to begin nonstop flights
MCO-PNS or TPA-PNS also DFW-PNS. These markets would compete with Delta and Usairways.
Recently, Delta introduced regional jet service using SkyWest RJ's with service from PNS-DFW. My sence is they resumed this service so that they (Delta) could try and regain the revenue possibly lost with AirTran in PNS.
If AirTran started service to DFW they would do well.

Also, just a little side note. Im not an expert on jetways in Atlanta, but are the jetways utilized in concourse C the same jetways that were used by Eastern years back? Thus the jetways can rise up and lower to accomadate larger planes such as the A319/20?
I may be wrong, just an observation.
JMH

MAH4546

Thu Jan 24, 2002 12:27 pm

JmhLUV2fly, airTran does fly to DFW. DFW-ATL and they used to fly DFW-GPT.

PNS-MCO/TPA could work, but PNS-MIA would be so much better. Unlike MCO and TPA, there is no non-stop MIA-PNS service, which is, in one word, pathetic.
a.

FlyPNS1

Thu Jan 24, 2002 1:12 pm

MAH4546, though I would love for Airtran to start PNS-MIA, I have my doubts. PNS has begged American for years to start this route and AA has always said there wasn't enough traffic. Here are the 1st Qtr 2001 O&D numbers for PNS and major markets. Note: this is O&D traffic not connecting.

Number of Pax. daily
PNS-TPA 132
PNS-(DCA/IAD) 106
PNS-(MDW/ORD) 85
PNS-MCO 82
PNS-ATL 80
PNS-NYC 65
PNS-IAH 55
PNS-ORF 52
PNS-DFW 49
PNS-DEN 46
PNS-CLT 46
PNS-PHL 41
PNS-LAX 41
PNS-SAN 40
PNS-IND 40
PNS-MSP 39
PNS-STL 37
PNS-MIA 37
PNS-BWI 36
PNS-DTW 35
PNS-MCI 31
PNS-BOS 29
PNS-SEA 29
PNS-RDU 26
PNS-LAS 25
PNS-SAT 24
PNS-MKE 22
PNS-CLE 22
PNS-GRR 22
PNS-PHX 21
PNS-PIT 21
PNS-DAY 21
PNS-BNA 19
PNS-BDL 18
PNS-CMH 17
PNS-FLL 14

Granted, traffic would be higher with Airtran's low fares, but even still MIA-PNS would be stretching it. PNS-TPA would probably work better...much more traffic potential.

MAH4546

Thu Jan 24, 2002 1:20 pm

FlyPNS, American hates the intra-Florida routes, that's why. They dropped APF and SRQ last year. They do very well, and offer mainline service as well, to MCO and TPA, but overall intra-Florida is weak for them. Plus, remember, airTran is getting Florida government subsidies for new routes. 51 O&D passengers a day (I am including FLL), plus the connection oppurtunities it offers to the Caribbean, Europe, and Latin America? Why not. A daily, IMO, would work.
a.

jmhLUV2fly

Mah4546

Thu Jan 24, 2002 3:16 pm

I figured someone would catch what I said about AirTran's DFW service. I realized after I clicked the submit butten that I should have clarified.
If you read the sentence before I made the statement, I was saying AirTran would be wise to provide service PNS-DFW. AirTran flies to PNS and flies DFW but they do not provide nonstop service between the two which would, I feel be smart.
JMH

Boeingfan

Thu Jan 24, 2002 3:44 pm

JmhLUV2fly

I wish Air Tran flew DFW PNS too. AA used to use F 100's on the route. The route was a dog out of DFW (no revenue.)

Atlantic Southeast and Skywest both DL Connection airlines have begun n/s DFW PNS, and DFW TLH, with the regional jet.

Hope they do good on the routes. North Fla needs to market its self better as a tourist destination for N. Texans. The beaches are the best in the world.

As far as Air Tran intra Fla., wish 'em well, they will be following in the footsteps of AA Eagle, Continental 'Lite' (mid 90's), Eastern and Air Florida. Florida just can not support full size (99 seats or <) airliner service. The fares are too low to even breakeven.

MAH4546

Thu Jan 24, 2002 10:08 pm

Boeingfan, American Airlines flies A300s between Miami and Orlando. United flies 757s between the same pair. Delta recently introduced mainline 757 service between FLL and Tampa. Florida can support an intra-Florida market. The smaller markets? Of course they can't. That's the case everywhere. But they can support props or RJs.
a.

travatl

ATL Jetbridges

Fri Jan 25, 2002 1:58 am

JMH -

Yes, the C Concourse Jetbridges are the same Eastern used, and can all accommodate the A320-family aircraft.

However, I was referring to the gate ramp space on the concourse. Last year, desperate for more gates, AirTran added gates and jetbridges on the concourse by shrinking spacing between aircraft, to only accommodate the 732, DC9, and 717 wingspans. There were only four gates that were unaffected by this change, and therefore only those gates could accommodate the wingspan of a larger A320 or 757 aircraft.

Travis

Flyer732

Fri Jan 25, 2002 3:51 am

OK...now let me tell you all about AirTran's plans.
Right now we have no plans for a "large" aircraft...possibly down the road a 737NG could come in, but we're too involved with the 717 right now to be able to worry about it. I have heard rumors around the water cooler of Denver or Colorado Springs, but nothing lately. ROC was a surprise to all of us, we were looking for something like, STL, CVG or CLT. Starting Feb. 14 we will have Miami Air flying the 737-800 to FLL for us three times a day. This will be only for the winter/spring since that is the major cruise season. Other than that there is nothing to report, our loads are fairly good...the only problems we have are behind the scenes things that the pax never see.
Thats about it!
Ryan Gaddis
AirTran/Customer Service/ATL

EA CO AS

Fri Jan 25, 2002 4:19 am

I'd be very surprised to see any Airbus Industrie aircraft on the property. AirTran has developed a good relationship with Boeing, and would more than likely look to the B-737-700 if their plans ever call for aircraft with longer range than the B-717.

It never hurts to kick the tires at a different manufacturer, just to see what they've got...but I'd imagine any proposal from Airbus would be matched and/or beaten by a Boeing deal for the 73G, which is, IMHO, a superior aircraft.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

srbmod

Fri Jan 25, 2002 5:38 am

With American's decision to retire the TWA 717s, AirTran could be the first airline to be contacted about these aircraft. With 30 of these aircraft to appear essentially out of thin air could give them the ability to start a west coast arm. The toughest part would be where to hub out of. COS is the immediate choice due to lack of service by other airlines, it worked for WestPac until the Denver debacle that did them in. Portland could work considering Delta has essentially abandoned PDX for LAX. Any airport in the LA area is out of the question, too high of costs. LAS, no. SFO, no. East coast wise, I see them operating more point to points bypassing ATL and BWI. As for additional cities out of ATL and BWI, I see them trying out Montreal, Toronto, and possibly Ottawa. As for the comment that ATL and BWI are too close, they are about a 90 minute flight from one another, no exactly close. The additional gates at ATL were constructed between November 1999 and February 2000. I know because I was a ramper there when they constructed the new gates.

Flyer732

Fri Jan 25, 2002 6:44 am

747firstclass,
The 717 can't do BWI-DEN nonstop. That is why there is not an ATL-DEN right now. We need somewhere to stop. (Think of the summer with a full plane departing from DEN...won't happen) Secondly, I don't see a BWI-BMI ANY time in the near future. Near being next few years. There are other things to do before anything like that. Bloomington only has 3 flights a day from Atlanta, and I can't say that they are anywhere near full. Being one of the agents who works the BMI flights frequently, I can vouch for that.
I'd look for more of the BWI-Florida, and BWI-MDW, POSSIBLY a BWI-FPO, I've heard that more than once from various people...
If we go to DEN/COS anytime soon is really anybodys guess right now...but I haven't heard anything recently about it, and I'm not expecting to hear anything soon about it. We have bigger fish to fry.

Ryan
AirTran/CS/ATL

usairways85

Fri Jan 25, 2002 7:07 am

right now i am guessing airtran will steadily increase operations at bwi. i think they will end up switching the pit-mdw flights to bwi-mdw, maybe switch the phl-pit route to bwi-pit and maybe add phl-bwi.

jcxp15

Fri Jan 25, 2002 11:17 pm

How much of their operations will they move to BWI. Some routes from BWI just don't make sense (like BWI - PNS). But would it be profitable for them to use both ATL and BWI as major hubs?

Fri Jan 25, 2002 11:28 pm

Let's get serious for a moment...AirTran isn't going to go "hog wild" at BWI. They will have a healthy operation at BWI, however butting heads with Southwest is not in their game plan.

travatl

Sat Jan 26, 2002 1:22 am

The ATL hub is busting at the seams right now.

A secondary hub is exactly what AirTran needs right now to ensure future growth. BWI fills that need as it is a great O&D market, and well suited for an East Coast "hub". And the massive decline of USAirways there, leaves space for any airline's expansion.

AirTran has no intention of going "Head to Head" against Southwest, but is simply moving in to fill the void left by USAirways, and to give some breathing room to Atlanta.

Think of all the northeast markets you can run into BWI to connect to Florida destinations, or to Dallas, or to New Orleans. And instead of running four flights a day into Atlanta, can move two to Atlanta, two to BWI (i.e. Rochester). A second hub also helps preserve some of the schedule when delays effect one hub. If you only have one major hub, and it is socked in with weather, or a runway is closed, or massive traffic saturation, etc., it can bring your entire operation to a halt. Frontier and AirTran know this well.

In the 6-plus years I've worked for this airline, I think it's one of the smartest things we've done.

Travis

Flyer732

Sat Jan 26, 2002 1:22 am

Plans are to have BWI as a new crew base. NOT replacing ATL, but just a second crew base. BWI will be more than huge, anticipate more than 100 flights by the end of the summer, if not sooner. BWI will fly to some of the same cities already served, and it will also indroduce new cities that will be all its own.
I know most of the BWI crew, and this is all stuff I've gotten from them, and general knowledge around the company.

Ryan
AirTran/CS/ATL