Airstud
Topic Author

Cracking The Myster Of Canadian Codes

Wed Jan 23, 2002 5:42 am

So once and for all, why are Canadian codes so similar and yet so goofy?

Someone once 'splained to me that they're based on the 2-letter city codes once used by a major Canadian railroad company. If this is true though, it still doesn't make sense - I thought "TO" was the rail code for Toronto, but its airport is YYZ. And YEG for Edmonton? Why would the railway use "EG" for "g"-less Edmonton?

Moreover, if for whatever reason those 2-letter codes were in fact used by the railways, is there any reason why "Y" was chosen as the first letter, or was that random?

And if I'm wrong about this whole railroad thing, then I'll need the whole thing 'splained to me from square one!! YHZ for Halifax? YCG for Charlottetown?
Pancakes are delicious.

Airstud
Topic Author

RE: Cracking The Myster Of Canadian Codes

Wed Jan 23, 2002 8:54 am

OOPS - I meant to say "Cracking the Mystery," not "Myster" in my title. Sorry.
Pancakes are delicious.

polaris

Wed Jan 23, 2002 9:14 am

This has to do with radio frequencies and call letters. I explained it a while ago. Try to do a search. If not, I'll explain again...but give me some time!

slawko

Wed Jan 23, 2002 10:50 am

Infact Toronto's three letter code is YTO but because toronto has 4 airports they sprlit it up, don;t know why Pearson airport got YZ, but the city code is TO, just like montreal's city code is YML or ML but because of two airports they gave on YUL and the other YMX.
"Clive Beddoe says he favours competition, but his actions do not support that idea." Robert Milton - CEO Air Canada

yow

Wed Jan 23, 2002 1:53 pm

This topic was discussed in-depth awhile back. Airstud just to let you know Charlottetown is YYG not YCG, which is actually Castlegar BC. Also, I'm pretty sure that it's YMQ to designate all of Montreal and not YML.

Also some of the small to very small regional airports in Canada, have their codes begin with an X or Z, like ZBF for Bathurst NB. Likewise some non-Canadian airports use the Y code, like YNG for Youngstown, Ohio.