matt777

Delta's Pacific Routes

Wed Jan 23, 2002 10:08 am

Hi everyone,

Some weeks ago Delta Airlines cut off some of their Pacific Routes, leaving ATL-Tokio as the only pacific route.
Delta is currently expanding its Huge Atlantic network...

Now, wait a second ... United is not doing good, right. I am a strong United fan but I think that there is a trend, a trend that said bye bye to PanAm & TWA. I think that Ual has followed a sequence of events that are similar to Pan Am's ... This is pan am's... (correct me if wrong)
(After becoming the worlds biggest airline, made it inefficient, problems began to appear and people stop flying the airline. Then they began to sell their routes (Pacific=>UA Atlantic=>DA South A=>AA) finally in 1991 Pan am declared bankrupcy.)

Is Delta (or any other carrier) waiting for UAl to sell the pacific routes for a small amount of money insted of building it up?
Also, do you think that my theory is correct (about the trend)?

Note: I always have some hope that my favourite airline will survive, but  Crying this economic recession, the loss of customers that black summer (employee strikes), USAir merger fail, Sept 11 ... all those are events made United lose money, cut traffic etc...

Go UAL & DAL 777s!
Post your opinions please...  Big thumbs up
Regards from Argentina
Matt Vivaldi.

ContinentalEWR

RE: Delta's Pacific Routes

Wed Jan 23, 2002 10:29 am

Delta has been scaling back in Asia for some time. It used to fly from Atlanta, Los Angeles, and Portland to Tokyo and then dropped the PDX-NRT flight to open a JFK-NRT flight which was scrapped after 9/11. Delta also had Portland-Nagoya, Portland-Seoul. The Seoul route was dropped and the Portland-Nagoya flight was transferred to Los Angeles before it was closed. Delta also had an extension of its PDX-SEL flight to Hong Kong. That too, didn't last.

Delta's first transpacific flights were on the L1011-500 and then they switched to the MD11 from 1991 on.

ContinentalEWR

DL WIDGET HEAD

Wed Jan 23, 2002 10:38 am

It's an interesting theory an does exist within the realm of possibilities. Delta has been raising lots of cash lately (sale of bonds, stock, etc.) to be used for "general corporate purposes". That sounds a little cagey and secretive to me. Maybe they're preparing for some sort of purchase and we all know how inadeqaute Delta's route network is in Asia. Do I think it could happen? Yes. Do I think it will happen? NO. I don't think United would want to give up that cash cow.

MAH4546

Wed Jan 23, 2002 10:48 am

Delta also flew Portland-Fukoka until late 1999 and Portland-XXX??-Bangokok.
a.

PA006

Wed Jan 23, 2002 10:51 am

PDX-SEL-TPE-BKK
LAX-ANC-HKG then LAX-HKG

PanAm747

Wed Jan 23, 2002 11:03 am

Are Pacific routes that bad in the cash department?

With Pan Am, TWA, and probably United getting ready to sell their PAC routes, that is weird.
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

Trvlr

Wed Jan 23, 2002 1:39 pm

UA wouldn't and won't sell its Pacific routes. No airline nowadays would be stupid enough to repeat Pan Am's and TWA's mistakes in the area of route sales.

Aaron G.

Trvlr

Southwest Takes A Big Step...Chicago-West Coast

Wed Jan 23, 2002 2:08 pm

Southwest announced today that they will start several new Chicago (Midway)-West Coast nonstop flights in March of this year, among them MDW-SEA, MDW-OAK, and MDW-PHX. In my opinion, this is a major step up by Southwest in the Chicago market. Pretty much the one single area that the major carriers haven't had to deal with WN out of Chicago (besides Int. routes, of course) has been the West Coast. Granted, ATA has had low-coast flights to PHX, LAX, SFO, and I believe SEA for a long time now. However, WN's new flights I believe will have both a significant pyschological effect on those people travelling between America's 3rd largest city and the West, and subsequently shake up the market a little bit. I think we'll see lower fares from the majors on the new routes over the next few months as Southwest will undoubtedly launch a sale to herald these new routes. As I also believe that these routes will be very successful for WN, I think that in the future we'll see MDW-SJC, MDW-LAX, and MDW-SAN.

Comments?

Aaron G.

Trvlr

Wed Jan 23, 2002 2:28 pm

Okay...this is weird...I mean for my last post to be a new topic. Website mishap or something...I'll repost it on the full forum.

Aaron G.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos