ont 737

3rd Hub At Ord?

Thu Jan 24, 2002 1:44 pm

In reading the news about the possible expansion at ORD I remember Mayor Daley talking about getting a third airline to make a hub out of the airport. I'm sure many airlines would jump at this chance. If the expansion goes through and the new terminal is built what airline do you think will get this opportunity? How would they decide what airline gets the new gate space? I read someting about Jet Blue, but I can't find the article now. Any thoughts?

deltaflyertoo

RE: 3rd Hub At Ord?

Thu Jan 24, 2002 2:19 pm

A third hub at ORD seems highly unlikely. As it is now UAL and AA pretty much dominate O&D out of Chicago. And just south of ORD we all know WN, ATA and the others keep fares competitive to just about anywhere in the US as well. I'm not sure if Dailey doesn't know airline economics or was just trying to look good politically to push the airport agenda, but even 2 airline hubs at 1 airport is a bad idea.

OzarkD9S

Thu Jan 24, 2002 2:43 pm

could depend on the airline. JetBlue or AirTran might pull it off, but USAirways or Continental, no. would have to be a viable low-fare alternative to AA/UA.
Next up: STL-OAK-RNO-LAS-ICT-STL

ont 737

Deltaflyertoo

Thu Jan 24, 2002 2:45 pm

Do you think that most of the new capacity at ORD will be just UA and AA just adding flights? Maybe an airline/airlines might try to make a focus city out of ORD. But this would be a good opportunity for Jet Blue to get into the Chicago market. (even if they didn't make it a hub)

OzarkD9S

Thu Jan 24, 2002 2:50 pm

new capacity i think will be evenly distributed. AA/UA adding flights as well as other carriers who want to expand there. plus more foreign flights. could be a oneworld/Star mega fight in the making.
Next up: STL-OAK-RNO-LAS-ICT-STL