polaris

Martinair Scheduled To Canada

Fri Jan 25, 2002 7:39 am

From April to October, 2002, Martinair will be offering scheduled services between Amsterdam and Toronto, Calgary, Edmonton, and Vancouver.

A short backgrounder: The bilateral agreement between the Netherlands and Canada allows the first designated Dutch carrier (the Dutch chose KLM) to offer scheduled services to Halifax, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Calgary, and Vancouver. The second designated Dutch carrier (the Dutch chose Martinair) can offer scheduled services to any two of these cities.

Martinair chose four cities instead of two and one of those cities wasn't on the designated list. They chose Toronto, Calgary, Edmonton, and Vancouver. The only intervention came from the Edmonton Regional Airports Authority in support of this request. No other interventions were received.

The request to serve the four cities was approved for the period mentioned above.

fallingeese

RE: Martinair Scheduled To Canada

Fri Jan 25, 2002 1:20 pm

That's awesome news for Calgary. Last summer we had MartinAir bring in their 767's every Wednesday I believe.
Mark McWhirter...Contrails Photography

VonRichtofen

Fri Jan 25, 2002 3:31 pm

Anybody remember when that Maritinair 767 had an engine blowout just after take-off from YYC? I remember wondering why it was so low as it went right over my house (at the time I lived directly under the path of A/C taking off Rwy 16, but I was far from the airport so if one was going over my it would have been quite high). Then I saw it turn around and head due North back to the airport to make a safe landing. I swear it was only like 2000ft above ground. I don't think it dumped fuel either, YYC's 16/34 runway is over 12000ft long so I don't think it was neccesary.

Regards,
Kris

superdawg

Fri Jan 25, 2002 11:29 pm

Dumping fuel has less to do with the length of the runway but with doing damage to undercarriage and plane's structure for being too heavy. The Martinair Plane may not have been full as it was to continue on to Amsterdam (its routing was Amsterdam-Calgary-Vancouver-Amsterdam) and maybe was to refuel in Vancouver.