Dalmd88
Topic Author

AA/BA Off

Sat Jan 26, 2002 4:12 am

Just read on YahooNews. The price was deemed to steep.

David_itl

RE: AA/BA Off

Sat Jan 26, 2002 4:16 am

The official BA press release:

In response to the US Department of Transportation’s regulatory conditions for the proposed alliance between British Airways and American Airlines Rod Eddington, British Airways’ Chief Executive and Don Carty, Chairman and Chief Executive, American Airlines, said:

"We will not do this deal at this price. We made it clear from the start that we would not conclude the deal if the regulatory price was too high. Regrettably this has proved to be the case.

"It is a disappointment for both airlines, shareholders, and for the many staff who have worked extremely hard to ensure that the deal would be a real success for the flying public.

"The conditions laid down by the US government do not make sense for either company. We will not acquiesce to unrealistic, and in our view, unnecessary demands. For us, the price is just not right.

"We simply sought to have the same commercial advantages and deliver the same consumer benefits that rival airline alliances and their passengers already enjoy. Consumers will now be denied the substantial range of benefits that would have arisen from a closer alliance between our two great airlines."

American Airlines remains British Airways’ partner of choice across the Atlantic. Both airlines pledged to continue to develop the bilateral relationships within the oneworld™ alliance, the grouping is as strong as ever and oneworld is still a central plank of the alliance strategy.

British Airways and American Airlines will continue to give passengers access to each other’s networks and will endeavour to deliver as much of the customer proposition as they can within the existing legal boundaries.

David/MAN

747firstclass

Sat Jan 26, 2002 5:11 am

My guess would be that, in an ideal situtation, that somehow the UK govt. guaranteed the slots for an openskies agreement and than BA and AA would not have to give up slots. In previous testimoney before cnogress executives of the various US carriers, they have said that neither BA or AA would have to give up slots if everyone was guaranteed slots. With time running out fast for the UK, perhaps discussions like that are going on behind the scenes. The reality is that the subject of slots at LHR is not going to go away and a future administration might even be tougher. It really is a mess driven by some very, arrogant, out of touch egos.

Arsenal@LHR

Sat Jan 26, 2002 5:22 am

So what happens now then?. Open skies talks are due in washington on monday, is that gonna be any success?. As far as i'm concerned, i dont see how new airlines can get access to LHR without AA/BA giving up slots.

Slots are the talking point at the moment

Arsenal@LHR
In Arsene we trust!!

747firstclass

Sat Jan 26, 2002 5:30 am

It is my understanding that the openskies talks have been canceled. There is talk that in the US Congress there will soon be legislation be introduced that will cancel the Bermuda II agreement. It should pass very easily and that will force the UK to negotiate a new agreement. Should be interesting.

Arsenal@LHR

Sat Jan 26, 2002 6:18 am

not looking good at the moment for the likes of CO, DL, NW, BMI
In Arsene we trust!!

2cn

Sat Jan 26, 2002 6:33 am

Arsenal@LHR- actually, it is looking good for them. They have what they want- AA/BA in check.. with out them giving up 200 slots, which is what DOT has required, AA/BA will not get approval, which is as good as getting slots in LHR right now.

Arsenal@LHR

Sat Jan 26, 2002 6:36 am

but how will DL,NW etc get the slots they badly want? LHR is pretty congested  Sad
In Arsene we trust!!

Sat Jan 26, 2002 6:49 am

From the sounds of it, the UK will not be negotiating any further with the US. Why? Read this week's Economist!!

The arguments ranged from any benefits being dubious, to the whole agreement being unacceptably in America's favour.

Let's not start a UK v US war please, I can see one bubbling already, as each nationality will begin to accuse the other's government of being 'arrogant' etc. etc.......let's keep the quality of the conversation good....

Ok, off my soapbox... Big grin

Regards

Sat Jan 26, 2002 6:54 am

Arsenal@LHR

Sat Jan 26, 2002 7:01 am

does this mean the whole deal is off?
In Arsene we trust!!

2cn

Sat Jan 26, 2002 7:08 am

but how will DL,NW etc get the slots they badly want? LHR is pretty congested

They will have to wait for either AA/BA to give up slots, or the Brittish goverment to force some slots out of them to get a open skies agreement done.

And yes, it looks like the entire deal is off... which I'm quite happy with.

greenjet

Sat Jan 26, 2002 7:41 am

Even if the UK and US agree to Open Skies it won't last that long as an EU-US agreement is not far away. Then there'll be the possibility of airlines from 14 other European nations looking to operate transatlantic from LHR....

Arsenal@LHR

Sat Jan 26, 2002 9:02 am

Greenjet:

So you mean that the likes of Lufthansa, Air France etc might want to fly transatlantic flights from LHR?
In Arsene we trust!!

2cn

Sat Jan 26, 2002 9:39 am

I really hop there isnt a EU-US agreement... I don't see any true benifit in abandoning the individule agreements for one main one... are there any?

Hoffa

Sat Jan 26, 2002 10:03 am

When the EU gets involved the debate over open skies will become extremely nasty and acrimonious.

Sat Jan 26, 2002 10:33 am

Taken from an article in the Financial Times...

'Negotiators were set to meet on Monday in Washington to work out details of a new "open skies" deal but the UK Foreign Office phoned US State Department officials on Friday night to tell them British negotiators would not make the trip.

"Ministers have told their US counterparts that we hope to re-engage with them soon," the Foreign Office said.'

That's all folks!!

Regards

blink182

Sat Jan 26, 2002 3:08 pm

The US government pisses me off.
I can't stand George Bush one bit(Gore in 4!).

I still can't see why Congress refuses to see that AA and BA want a level playing field, and congress should have had them give up the maximum they were willing to give up. That way, everyone is happy. US carriers and BMI get LHR access, and AA and BA get to work together.

blink
Give me a break, I created this username when I was a kid...

747firstclass

Sat Jan 26, 2002 3:14 pm

Please dont forget that they AA/BA had a better deal from Bush than they had from Clinton. Who knows at what future time and future administration, even this deal may look good. This issue will not go away until there is guaranteed access for all US carriers at LHR. EXACTLY as there is at FRA,FCO,CDG,AMS, etc. etc. etc. Until somone at BA and the UK govt. understands this, there will be no alliance with BA and a US carrier.PERIOD

2cn

Sat Jan 26, 2002 4:40 pm

Blink182- sorry, but the terms DOT was asking were not that big of a thing- 16 or 17 flights a day to be disperesed between three US airlines.. wow, thats unfair to AA/BA (note sarcasim). They actually got off easy with the request, especialy with both of them combined would have over 60% of the flights on this route... THAT is not a level playing field for anyone.

SegmentKing

Sat Jan 26, 2002 4:41 pm

blah... Al Gore would lead us off a cliff and we'd all be lemmings and follow....

have you hugged a tree today???

-nate
~ ~ ~ ~ pRoFeSsIoNaL hUrRiCaNe DoDgEr ~ ~ ~ ~

DL WIDGET HEAD

Sat Jan 26, 2002 6:06 pm

My guess is that BA will opt for "plan B" and shop other US airlines with which to form an allaince such as US, or NW/CO. I think NW/CO/KL might look good to them right now and the "Wings" alliance might finally get off the ground (pardon the pun). Sorry AA, but I think you're about to be jilted; just business really.

2cn

Sat Jan 26, 2002 6:29 pm

DL Widget Head- think BA might look at DL for an alliance? Now that would be an impressive alliance.. DL, Airfrance, and British Airways... I dont think it'd happen.. but, who knows.

DL WIDGET HEAD

Sat Jan 26, 2002 6:41 pm

I'm sure DL and AF would welcome that prospect but realistically, I think it would encounter the same problems that AA-BA did. SkyTeam is just too strong of an Atlantic alliance already. Adding the number one European airline to the mix would simply overwhelm regulators on both sides of the pond. No, a DL/AF/BA allaince is simply not doable. That narrows the field of players down to US, and NW/CO. My guess is a NW/CO link-up. I bet their (NW, CO) stock price spikes on monday.

greenjet

Sat Jan 26, 2002 7:23 pm

Arsenal@LHR - with EU-US Open Skies any EU (or US) airline can operate out of any EU airport to the US. In theory. It all depends on slots and the airlines themselves. At least with EU Open Skies it will mean the end of idiotic rules such as the Shannon Stopover.

RayChuang

Sun Jan 27, 2002 12:06 am

I think once a USA-EU Open Skies agreement is signed (which could happen within 18 months) expect a major scramble by AA, CO, DL, NW, UA and US on the American side and AF, AZ, BA, BD, KL, LH, SR's replacement, OA, OS, TP, VS, etc. on the European side to line up transatlantic schedules. In the end, the result will be terminal allocations where each terminal serves one airline alliance.

Watch all the surplus long-range airliners suddenly back in service, or at least close to it.

747firstclass

Sun Jan 27, 2002 12:13 am

There is such bad blood between US and BA from the failed alliance back in the 90s that I dont see that alliance going anywhere. US has also batteled for access to LHR for too long and that has even more bad blood. I dont see that option happening at all. I do believe that CO/NW/KL/BA is what will happen. However KLM has told and told again,the UK and BA they refuse to do anything with BA until the US/UK openskies isssue is dealt with. If KLM does something with NW/KLM without a UK/US openskies it will cause major problems for NW/KL and the US antitrustimmunity. That has proven far too successful for BA to casue trouble.

AA767400

Sun Jan 27, 2002 1:37 am

yes widget head, keep dreaming. BA with either CO,NW
OR DL. not going to happen any time soon.
"The low fares airline."

eg777er

Sun Jan 27, 2002 1:52 am

747firstclass, you won't see open skies until the US relaxes rules on foriegn carriers operating in the US market. Why should the UK concede it's most valuable asset (LHR) for nothing?

Until such protectionist policies such as:

- The 'Fly America' rule
- Restrictions on foreign airlines operating domestic US services
- Restrictions on foreign airlines owning US airlines

are lifted, there will be no open skies. US carriers can operate domestically in the EU, but there are no such rights for EU carriers in the US. The UK will bide its time until all such bilaterals are negotiated at an EU level, which will result in a stronger bargaining force.

And, please try and remember, you cannot guarantee something that doesn't exist. I'm talking about LHR slots - there aren't any. If more US carriers want to enter Heathrow, I'm afraid they are going to have to buy someone's operation, as UA and AA did in the early 90s. In fact, you could see SAS operating transatlantic from Heathrow as they have slots at T3 which can take widebodies.

Many people also argue that as BA are cutting shorthaul they can free up some slots for the US majors. Sorry, not possible. Have you ever tried parking a 777 in a gate designed for an A319!??

Sun Jan 27, 2002 2:03 am

Here is a prediction for you:

With all of UA's troubles, look for Lufthansa to ditch them and link up with American.

Who would have thunk it, American the US flagship carrier of Star.

The new makeup of STAR - Lufthansa, SAS, Air Canada, Cathay, American, Air Canada, Lan Chile, TAM, and, yes, Qantas.

Anything is possible...

747firstclass

Sun Jan 27, 2002 2:14 am

Possible but unlikely, it would cost much too much for LH to do that. In the alliance agreement there are all kinds of very heavy financial penaltieetc. for things just like that.

DCA-ROCguy

Sun Jan 27, 2002 6:21 am

Good for the US Department of Transportation! The DOT is no longer the lap dog for big airlines that it was during the 1980's. IF AA and BA don't want to divest slots at Heathrow, then they can forget about their alliance. Either all four of the other US Cartel carriers excluded from LHR get meaningful access, or *NO* AA-BA.

Heathrow is uniquely desirable among European airports, and it's got only two active runways. And due to psycho-NIMBY's it won't get any more. Yes, that isn't AA and BA's fault, but sometimes life stinks. Either everybody gets into LHR or AA and BA can continue within the existing codeshare/ oneworld framework.

US regulators seem to be developing balls at last--first nixing UA-US, now this.

Jim
Need a new airline paint scheme? Better call Saul! (Bass that is)

DCA-ROCguy

Sun Jan 27, 2002 6:29 am

Good for the US Department of Transportation! The DOT is no longer the lap dog for big airlines that it was during the 1980's. IF AA and BA don't want to divest slots at Heathrow, then they can forget about their alliance. Either all four of the other US Cartel carriers excluded from LHR get meaningful access, or *NO* AA-BA.

Heathrow is uniquely desirable among European airports, and it's got only two active runways. And due to psycho-NIMBY's it won't get any more. Yes, that isn't AA and BA's fault, but sometimes life stinks. Either everybody gets into LHR or AA and BA can continue within the existing codeshare/ oneworld framework.

US regulators seem to be developing balls at last--first nixing UA-US, now this.

Jim
Need a new airline paint scheme? Better call Saul! (Bass that is)

DL WIDGET HEAD

Sun Jan 27, 2002 7:59 am

AA767400, if you read my earlier post you would have noted that I don't think a BA/DL link is viable. Given NW/CO's close relationship with KL and BA/KL's interest in one another (in fact they just agreed to cooperate on routes to the middle east) it's seems likely that the four airlines might themselves consider an allaince that could challenge Star and Skyteam. No, it's not just a "dream" as you say. BA has lost 5 years in the alliance game pursuing the "impossible dream" if you will, of linking up with AA. Quite frankly, Oneworld is falling apart, especially the European part of the union. Aer Lingus is in bad shape, Sabena is gone, Swiss Air is all but gone (as we once knew it), Iberia is faltering, and LOT is not doing so well. AA palyed their trump card with BA too early and now they're in trouble. As far as US Airways and BA not forging and allaince due to "bad blood" as mentioned earlier; US Airways is in no position to be picky or keep account of injury from years ago. It's now or never for them and if they want to survive at all, they better show up at BA's door with flowers in their hands. I still think it's going to be NW/CO/BA/KL and "Wings" when all is said and done.

go canada!

Sun Jan 27, 2002 10:13 am

qantas in star alliance, yeah i can really see BA allowing that to ahppen, espeically when Ba has a huge say on the qantas baord, regardless of the recent diluting in share precentage.

Qantas being ion the same alliance as sia and anz would be seen as being anti-competive by the austrailian and nz governments.

Delta arent likely to ditch BA and you will never get BA in an alliance with AF, there is more chance of them senidng flowers to richard branson!

the americans are hyporcrites, its ok for delta and air france and its ok for lufthansa-united-bmi and klm-northwest, but AA/BA oh no, thats far to diffuicult to accept.

as for open skies, forget it, the uk government isnt impressed by this, it needs a strong BA for the econmy and doesnt need BA cutting more jobs, it isnt impressed by the us attitude of take take take without any give.

how dare northwest, delta and CO expected to be allowe dt heathrow when the Americans made no mention of allowing bmi into the deal, why should 4 extar us carriers be allowed without another british carrier.

the DOT wouldnt know competition if it went up and bit it, how can a massive advatnage to five us airlines(including AA) be fair and good for competition when on the british side, bmi gets no look in, neither does virgin and BA gets a load of grief?
It is amazing what can be accomplised when nobody takes the credit

klwright69

Sun Jan 27, 2002 11:03 am

I think the folks at BA and AA must be on some powerful drugs if they really think they wouldn't have to give up any slots to get their alliance approved. CO would get a couple flights to LHR from EWR, DL a couple from JFK and/or Atlanta, US from PIT and/or PHL. We are only talking about a handful of flights from these rival carriers. These giants, AA/BA, are Boo-Hooing that making this sacrifice would have meant the end of competition as we know it across the Atlantic (??). THEY are the ones being unrealistic. Get over it already! It's over!

aamd11

Sun Jan 27, 2002 11:24 am

I hope that if openskies does go through, that BA and AA do not lose any slots.
Also i hope open skies doesnt go through now amyway.
How come the Price for The second biggest Euro carrier, and the ex-largest US carrier could codeshare etc. without such a high price??
The answer is simple.... US carriers, and other majors love to / would love the fly to LHR, its by far the biggest transatlantic market: at 40% its piised on FRA and CDG....
Having access at LHR for everyone should not happen unless BA AA can share without such a loss of slots.

747firstclass

Sun Jan 27, 2002 2:50 pm

But with the expansion possibilities at AMS, FRA and CDG and the ability of other airlines to codesahre from the US, look for a big drop off in BAs connecting passengers via LHR. The fact remains that BAs reach in the US is about to shrink, becasue of their inability to codeshare in the US. In the not too distant future, BAs share of the trans atlantic market will start to drop again. The french just sigend an openskies agreemtn with the US, this past week. DL/AF now have US antitrust immunity. I still think that is what will somewho bring BA to their senses. As for job losses at BA, that has been going on and will continue to go on at an even great pace becasue of their drop in share of trans atlantic travel. You can be sure that all the other airline alliances are going to do everything to capitalize on this latest BA fiasco.

2cn

Sun Jan 27, 2002 3:11 pm

the americans are hyporcrites, its ok for delta and air france and its ok for lufthansa-united-bmi and klm-northwest, but AA/BA oh no, thats far to diffuicult to accept.

You don't get it at all. Delta and Airfrance alliance is not on a route where no other airline can operate. The Lufthansa-United-BMI again is not on any route that would not allow another airline. AA/BA were on a route that they would control over 60% of the flights on THAT ROUTE ALONE. That isnt counting anything else. Just the US to LHR routes. How is that fair to anyone else? No other airline can get into LHR to fly on these routes except BA/Virgin from the UK and UA/AA.

as for open skies, forget it, the uk government isnt impressed by this, it needs a strong BA for the econmy and doesnt need BA cutting more jobs, it isnt impressed by the us attitude of take take take without any give.
Umm.. I'm sorry, but the US attitude wasnt take take with out any give, it was BA. They wanted to the alliance with out giving an inch to allow further competition.

how dare northwest, delta and CO expected to be allowe dt heathrow when the Americans made no mention of allowing bmi into the deal, why should 4 extar us carriers be allowed without another british carrier.
What rock have you been under? BMI has slots into LHR.. they fly into LHR.. NO ONE SEEMS TO WANT TO ACKNOWLEDGE IT (sorry for caps, but this is frustrating me big time). BMI has slots into LHR already, they fly into LHR constantly. THEY just can not fly to the US from LHR due to the Bermuda II agreement. If open skies was agreed to between the US and UK, they could fly.

the DOT wouldnt know competition if it went up and bit it, how can a massive advatnage to five us airlines(including AA) be fair and good for competition when on the british side, bmi gets no look in, neither does virgin and BA gets a load of grief?

BMI has slots.. they could fly if the UK and US had an open skies agreement. Virgin has slots and already fly it. BA flies it. United and AA fly it. Delta, US, CO, dont because they cant get slots in LHR, and even if they had slots the current bermuda II agreement prevents it.

Could someone answer this- how did BMI get slots in LHR if suposedly they were already taken? Who did they buy out??

747firstclass

Sun Jan 27, 2002 3:18 pm

2cn I am glad somone else is getting frustrated with this LHR slot business too. They are not comparing apples and oranges at all. BMI has had slots at LHR for years and years. They have stated that they would juggle their schedule to work in a flight or 2 to the US, if given permission. Again, they have the slots but no permission. They also have aircrat parked somewhere in the UK awaiting approval to start LHR-USA service. On the other side of the coin, they were told to give UA slots to add a second flight from LHR-BOS if the AA?BA alliance had been approved.

2cn

Sun Jan 27, 2002 3:30 pm

747firstclass- didn't know BMI was asked to give up slots.. and I'm also glad I'm not the only one who realized/knew this about BMI... Its funny how so many people ignore this fact that they fly into LHR.

DL WIDGET HEAD

Sun Jan 27, 2002 3:54 pm

The days of LHR being such an important transfer hub are waning. Soon, due to British intransigence, airports on the continent such as CDG, FRA, and AMS will become Europe's premier gateways. If Londoners could only agree on more runways and infrastructure they would have a "superpower" of an airport and slots/competition would not be an issue. LHR will always be a great O&D market and to an extent a good tranfer airport but nothing like the afore mentioned airports (especially CDG with its virtually limitless expansion opportunities).

LJ

Sun Jan 27, 2002 5:47 pm

Both sides are not 100% right. The USA is wrong in not applying full open skies (thus also open skies on domestic flights and furtheremore increase the 25% ownership rule to 49%).

However LHR is the premier airport in London and controlling more than 50% of the most lucrative routes isn't fair. Allthough you can argue about the number of slots they should surrender it's for sure that BA/AA would have to surrender slots to make sure there is competition.

As for the future. AA will codeshare in Europe with DAT and/or Crossair. BA will find a codeshare partner in the US (probably AA).

Regards
Laurens

2cn

Sun Jan 27, 2002 6:01 pm

Lj- openskies talks were to be started this past Friday, but because BA/AA turned down the proposed terms from DOT, the talks were called off.. or at least, that is the word on this site going around.

kaitak

RE: It's All Just Posturing!

Sun Jan 27, 2002 8:02 pm

I really am surprised that a normally cynical media just accepts this as read: "AA/BA off" - just because the US DOT lays down conditions! Come on!

The two leaders have apparently discussed this (although before the announcement) and I feel sure that this is just the first salvo and that the two sides will argue over numbers and access and ultimately come to an agreement of about 170 or so.

Too much work has gone into this for it to be dropped now and given that Tony Blair has a good reputation in the US government, I am sure that personal intervention at the highest levels will allow a deal to be done. I can assure you that fairly high level lobbying is going on right at this moment; AA will be working on Bush and BA, on TB. Something will be done to get over this, mark my words . . .

747firstclass

Sun Jan 27, 2002 11:40 pm

Kaitak, I hope so. But must admit if that was the case, why did things get so bad and apparently AA/BA got blindsided. A friend thinks the DOT came out with this announcement to put horrific public pressure on BA and the UK. especially so after the french/US openskies and the DL/AF antitrust immunity. Personally, I think it is the latter that may in the end bring the UK and BA to their senses. More will be revealed.....

Arsenal@LHR

Mon Jan 28, 2002 12:25 am

I agree with Kaitak. Intervention from the highest level (Blair/Bush) could do the trick. Both sides lose out if there is no kind of deal which benefits both sides equally.

Arsenal@LHR
In Arsene we trust!!

go canada!

Mon Jan 28, 2002 10:16 am

perhaps i didnt make myself clear, nowhere in the dOT press release does it mention extra slots being gievn to bmi nor does the dOT judgement allow for other british carriers such as british european, ryanair and easyjet(FY would kill to fly transatlantic) to be allowed to fly to the usa.

as yes, thank you for stating the obivious but sicne i have flown with bmi from heathrow i do realise they fly from there!

bmi might fly to america but as far as i was aware they dont do heathrow to new york and i dont see anything to suggest the usa would allow it.

and what is the point is insiting in extra slots to co and the others if they cant bleeding fly there because of the closed skies.

next step should be bA buying klm, therefore owning schipol and flying pax out of there in a deal with AA and having it as a second hub, they can then release more slots to the americans and no doubt bmi will be left sidelined.

so its fine for the usa, but not for the uk, if the uk told american where to go and insited that all british carriers had preference they im sure you would be complaining!

and why cant AA give slots up at new york?

go canada!

Mon Jan 28, 2002 10:21 am

and another thing, the american carriers already fly to london gatwick which is approx the same difference in time to get to london city centre, they could even fly to london stansted and pax could get the high-speed rail link.

BA are cutting back at gatwick, there is space.

still dont see bmi flying to new york from gatwick thoug, unless their website is wrong of course?

747firstclass

Mon Jan 28, 2002 10:44 am

Please everyone keep in mind that BA CAN NOT BUY KLM becasue of the openskies that the Netherlands has with the US. The US anti trust immunity states that if the ownership of KLM is owned by other than a Dutch co, the openskkies with teh US and the accompanying anti trust will become null and void. PERIOD. In other words the US will NOT allow the british to do in teh back door what they cant or wont do in the front door.