lehpron

What Trade-offs Are Worth It In Aviation?

Sun Jan 27, 2002 2:46 pm

I thought of something two days ago and it made me laugh so hard I woke my mom up and she yelled at me to go back to sleep. I'll tell you guys later what I though about, but first this question:

Would you trade efficency for both noise and exhaust pollution?

If there was an engine that could somehow reduce the amount of noise it produces as well as the pollutants in it's exhaust at the same time yet be either as efficient as current engines or less; honestly for the sake of argument, how would you feel about that?

In other words would it matter to you?

The meaning of life is curiosity; we were put on this planet to explore opportunities.

VirginFlyer

RE: What Trade-offs Are Worth It In Aviation?

Sun Jan 27, 2002 2:58 pm

I would go for it, especially if it was as efficient, but even if it was less efficient - to a point. Less noise and environmental friendlieness are marketable qualities, and also ones which may help avoid pollution taxes, and in some cases allow operation where it would otherwise not be allowed. Provided the loss of efficiency is not too great, it would make sense.

V/F
"So powerful is the light of unity that it can illuminate the whole earth." - Bahá'u'lláh

Shawn Patrick

Sun Jan 27, 2002 3:27 pm

So what made you laugh so hard, that you thought of two days ago?

lehpron

Sun Jan 27, 2002 3:40 pm

I came up with the engine system that would do just that and I am so darnass sure that 1) it doesn't exist and 2) it is very practical -- I just have to make it work.

The issue that bites is that it is purely electrical and there is not chemical combustion what so ever, furthermore, at this point, it cannot go supersonic -- that's why it is economical as well. When it gets thrown into the market it'll go straight to private general aviation companies then to regional aircraft companies. Maybe in a decade, larger airliners and in another dacade possibly supersonic airliners. This damn engine has possibilites of space operation without many changes!

It is truly the "holy grail of aerospace!"  Wow!

I laughed because this is the break I've been waiting for. I'm already emailed my professor who is an electrical engineer and ask him how to make one of these things. Sadly, it looks better than my hypersonic project!
The meaning of life is curiosity; we were put on this planet to explore opportunities.

Shawn Patrick

Sun Jan 27, 2002 3:58 pm

It sounds too easy to be true, and I don't know if it would be the "holy grail of aerospace". Shouldn't somebody have already developed it by now?

But anway, go for it.

lehpron

Sun Jan 27, 2002 4:11 pm

Shouldn't somebody have already developed it by now?

Beware not to give the industry too much credit, otherwise we should have already had a Concorde successor by now as well.  Wink/being sarcastic

VirginFlyer

Sun Jan 27, 2002 5:33 pm

I hope you aren't talking about ion acceleration engines, Lehpron, because a) they already exist b) from what I understand they have absolutely useless acceleration (but will eventually reach high velocities). Their only useful application is in space exploration.

Also, don't forget that electricity isn't exactly clean - it has to be generated, and this usually creates somewhat more pollution/environmental worries than current jet engines. Not to mention the expense required to build new powerstations to cope with the increased demand.

I myself had thought about an electric aircraft that generates electricity through Lenz's Law (I am sure you understand what I am getting at). The only hitch is that one part of the loop would need to be isolated from the Earth's magnetic field. Oh well, there goes that idea...

One more thing: I would also be VERY wary of the oil companies - people have a tendancy to wind up bought out or dead over these great things that supersede petroleum products.

V/F
"So powerful is the light of unity that it can illuminate the whole earth." - Bahá'u'lláh