dl1011

Manchester

Mon Jan 28, 2002 6:23 am

Hi,
I will be flying into MAN next week and
was wondering if anybody has any info
about the airport and city? Will only have a couple of days in town, any must see/do
places of interest?
Thanks.

OA277

RE: Manchester

Mon Jan 28, 2002 6:30 am

There is almost nothing interesting to see in that city, although it's heard to be very metropolitan.

yyz717

Mon Jan 28, 2002 6:32 am

Well, I'm Canadian but was born in Man UK. So I know less than current Mancunians.

Rent a car...drive to the Lake District, Chester, maybe York. You'll see some countryside. Downtown MAN is being fixed up nicely. There are some museums & art gallaries downtown, although overall not much of a downtown. Nnot a great time of year to visit, but hey....there are many worse places.

Neil/Toronto

I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

BlueShamu330s

Mon Jan 28, 2002 6:40 am

DI1011

What "floats your boat" ??

Give us some guidelines and I'm sure you'll get some good responses.

Regards

Shamu
So I drive a 4x4. So what?! Tax the a$$ off me for it...oh, you already have... :-(

Demoose

Mon Jan 28, 2002 6:45 am

OA277, your profile says you live in Manchester, yet u have only heard about what the city is like? Have u ever ventured past your doorstep?

I live in Manchester. Most airport info is at:
http://www.manchesterairport.co.uk
As for things to do, places of interest include Old Trafford - Manchester United's home. The Trafford Centre for loads of shopping and places to eat. The Lowry Centre at Salford Quays which is an art gallery and exibition centre, just across from Old Trafford.
The city centre itself is very busy, loads of bars, clubs and restaurants, especially on Deansgate which is the main street through the city centr. Also its got a huge range of shops, and its really simple to get about manchester because of the Metrolink, which is a tram system that runs to the North, South and West of the city centre. The city centre itself has been almost completely rebuilt since 1996 when an IRA Terrorist Bomb exploded in the main shopping area. The result however, is a much better city centre. Theres now a big complex called the Printworks where theres an IMAX cinema, restaurants and clubs. Across from this is The Triangle, which has loads of desginer shops.
I could go on for hours but I won't, but theres plenty to do and Manchester is such a cool city!
If u want specific info just mail me or ask me on here
Cheers,
DEM
Take a ride...fly across the sky

David_itl

Mon Jan 28, 2002 7:54 am

Alternate websites include http://www.rebuilding-manchester.co.uk/links/ where you can click onto various sites (take out the "/links" to see what's been rebuilt!). The Manchester City Council site is http://www.manchester.gov.uk and I'll think I'll give a plug for http://www.commonwealthgames.com as well. Going to gives http://www.manchesteronline.co.uk the news for the region.

David/MAN: 179 and counting

dl1011

Tue Jan 29, 2002 7:59 am

Thanks for the info and links. Since I have not been north of the Cotswolds, I am really looking forward to the trip. I'll post a trip/pub/aircraft/airport update after I return!

bapilot2b

Fri Feb 01, 2002 10:41 pm

the airport is a must lol, i will b there on the 8th February for the day! If ya there stop by or drop me an e-mail b4hand!

E-Mail - jason@aviation-careers.net
Jason Nicholls - v1images

Demoose

Bapilot2b

Fri Feb 01, 2002 11:40 pm

I'm at Manchester on the 8th February also, look out for me as I jet off to Tenerife!!
 Smile/happy/getting dizzy
DEM
Take a ride...fly across the sky

dl1011

Manchester

Fri Feb 15, 2002 1:50 am

Great airport! Was expecting a small, boring place and found a modern 3 terminal airport bursting with activity. There is an outdoor viewing area on top of one of the buildings. Except for the 50mph wind, there was a great view. There is even a small shop up there selling airplane stuff. Will post more on the trip reports page.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos