sushka

How Old Do Rampers Have To Be?

Mon Jan 28, 2002 10:54 am

I would like to apply for a ramp position at Salt Lake City Intl. Airport and I was wondering how old rampers have to be. Im 16 and soon will be 17. Does anyone know the age limit for some of the airlines that are there?

Thanks!  Big thumbs up
Pershoyu Spravoyu Litaki!

CcrlR

RE: How Old Do Rampers Have To Be?

Mon Jan 28, 2002 11:01 am

You have to be 18 I think and have a High school Diploma. If there is more then someone will let you know.
"He was right, it is a screaming metal deathtrap!"-Cosmo (from the Fairly Oddparents)

CO 757-300

Mon Jan 28, 2002 11:03 am

i know somone who once worked as a ramper at Cedar Rapids Airport at age 17. hope that helps
Lou

Av8trxx

Mon Jan 28, 2002 11:40 am

If you want to work for an FBO or some contract service outfit, they may hire you at 17 but to work for an airline you must be 18 years of age. If an FBO will hire you, it would help you get an airline job in the future as you would already have line experience by age 18! You should contact any of the FBOs at the bottom of this site- SLC Airport Info

QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS:
At least 18 years old
High School diploma or GED
Valid driver’s license and excellent driving record
Able to lift up to 70 pounds repetitively
Must be able to communicate using a two-way radio
Ability to climb, bend, kneel, crawl, and stoop often
Well groomed and physically fit
Available to work shifts, weekends, holidays and overtime
Able to read and write English; bilingual skills encouraged but not required
Must have authorization to work in the U.S. as defined in the Immigrations Act of 1986.

First year pay: $8.75/hr
Second year Pay: $10.18/hr

from the SWA Ramp Agent careers page

lasbagman

Mon Jan 28, 2002 12:39 pm

At GlobeGround North America in SLC, you must be 18 years old and have a high school diploma.
GlobeGround is owned by Lufthansa German Airlines, and they do provide flight benefits.

ILS

Mon Jan 28, 2002 12:42 pm

I thought at America West you had to be 16 and possess a valid drivers liscense.

Mon Jan 28, 2002 5:39 pm

To be a Fleet Service Agent(Ramp) with America West you have to be 18 years old, High School graduate, pass a drug test as well as a 10 year back ground check, able to lift up to 70lbs. These are just the basic requirements.
Starting pay is 7.50 hr with a .25 raise after six months then you get a raise once per year.

Alaskaairlines

Mon Jan 28, 2002 6:16 pm

I would think 18.

-Dmitry

FutureFO

Mon Jan 28, 2002 7:31 pm

For ACA you must be 18 years old, have a high school diploma or equivalent. Possses a valid drivers liscence, pass an FBI fingerprint background check, a 10 year employement and residency background check, able to repetitively lift 75 lbs.
I Don't know where I am anymore

Fleet Service

Mon Jan 28, 2002 7:36 pm

Not to mention being exposed to the elements for extended periods of time.Nothing like having wet feet for ten hours. Yeah sure
Yes, I actually *do* work for an airline,how about you?

sushka

Tue Jan 29, 2002 2:18 am

Ok thanks for the answers. Is there any competition at all?
Pershoyu Spravoyu Litaki!

KAUSpilot

Tue Jan 29, 2002 2:41 am

I've been trying to get a job as a ramper/FBO attendant here in austin, and it has been exceedingly difficult. I'm a 19 year old college student looking for a part time/summer job. To put it bluntly, No one is hiring, at least around here. Just check all the airline's website. You'll see that there are no openings for 99% of the positions.

Expect a REALLY hard time right now unless you have connections to someone farther up the hierarchy for whoever you wish to work for.

OH-LGA

Tue Jan 29, 2002 4:20 am

Sushka:

My company (SkyWest) is hiring for Ramp Agents in SLC... but you do have to be 18 and have a high school diploma before applying at SkyWest. But it's definately a very cool company to work for!!! (And there's my plug...  Smile)

Kai
Head in the clouds... yet feet planted firmly on the ground.

srbmod

Tue Jan 29, 2002 5:09 am

As a general rule, any ramp service employee has to be at least 18 years old, a high school graduate, possess a valid driver's license, pass a drug test, and pass a 10 year background check. This isn't just some requires the airlines came up with, these are the requirements set forth by the FAA. Some airlines also require the ability to lift 50 lbs or more with no real strain (some of those bags get pretty heavy), and have no criminal record (other than traffic tickets). I would not be surprised if the FAA strengthens those requirements in the wake of 9/11.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos