donder10

First Class-profitable For Airlines?2/3 Class Bett

Tue Jan 29, 2002 7:34 pm

What is the usual % load factor in 1st class?I've heard that many people in ther are up-grades.This leads me onto thinking whether 2 or 3 class is best for long-hauls.Obviously it varies from carrier to carrier,and based on the economic conditions but how profitable is 1st ?
Thanks,Alex

Andreas

RE: First Class-profitable For Airlines?2/3 Class Bett

Tue Jan 29, 2002 7:39 pm

If you look at the new business class configurations of BA, CX, SQ (planned) etc. (seat pitch, legroom etc.), it seems to me that the days of First Class are over in the long run. Business and First are getting comparable comfort-wise, so there is really no need to pay 50-60% more than Biz airfare (which is expensive enough), just to get a few more inches or the good feeling to be part of an "elite".
Regards
Andreas
I know it's only VfB but I like it!

donder10

Tue Jan 29, 2002 7:42 pm

Good point Andreas.With the advent of flat-beds etc Business class is as good as 1st was a couple of years back.

carduelis

Tue Jan 29, 2002 10:20 pm

>>>Business class is as good as 1st was a couple of years back.<<<

The BA business class seat have attracted a tremendous amount of bad publicity - sitting closely, head to toe with your partner/other pax, with a really naff and flimsy 'divider' between you.

If you think business class is as good as first - have you thought how much first standard of service and delivery has been diminished in the extreme over the years?

Airlines are getting more and more like a bus service, and that's being generous. I doubt most cabin crew can even spell service, let alone deliver it. Airlines have had it too good for too long - and I'm sure SOME of them are at last waking up to that fact.

As for profitability, I doubt it. If major carriers reverted to the traditional First (half way between exiting F and J and fares accordingly) and Tourist, they'd probably do a lot better.
Per Ardua ad Astra! ........ Honi Soit Qui Mal y Pense!

keesje

Wed Jan 30, 2002 1:01 am

Business class is as good as 1st was a couple of years back.

I think the better business classses available today are comperable to F-class products ~5-6 years ago.

60 inch pitch (AA, KL, NW, DL) and a wide seat together with 4/5 step meals are what you had in F in those days.

DL, NW, KL and Co merged their First and Business class products in the mid ninety's and now seem to be (relative) succesfull carriers. Perhaps 18 spacious Business Class seats are more profitable then 12 First class seats in the nose of a 747 ...

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © George Polfliet

cheers

Keesje
"Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway