gr8slvrflt

AirTran Fleet Options

Thu Jan 31, 2002 12:16 am

Is AirTran only looking at new aircraft (AA/TW 717 excepted)? I heard a rumor a couple months ago that AirTran offered to buy USAirways' entire Super 80 fleet but US insisted that the pilots be included in the deal.

I keep hearing that 757s are likely but that seems to be a pretty large jump, capacity-wise. 737NG makes more sense to me.

IMHO MD90s would make an ideal fit. I imagine there is a great deal of commonality with 717s. Does the MD90 have ATL-west coast range? Delta's fifteen could make a great, relatively new, addition. I don't understand why DL would want to keep such a small fleet around in these times. Also, I'm sure the JAL/JAS merger makes them redundant there as well.
I work for Southwest, but the views expressed are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Southwest.

RE: AirTran Fleet Options

Thu Jan 31, 2002 12:59 am

From what I have heard from a friend at Air Tran is that they only are looking at getting more 717s for the fleet. The airline has over 25% fuel savings alone with the 717!

LGB

me

Thu Jan 31, 2002 1:18 am

As an AirTran employee I'm always amased at the attention we recieve on this site.

The 717's are coming at a rate of aprox 1 1/2 aircraft a month. Management has publicly said that "this is an excellent time to be a buyer of aircraft". Also, our V.P. of flight operations, Capt. Klaus Gorsch, is currently in France meeting with Airbus. Many believe this is just a ploy to twist the arm of Boeing to cut AirTran a good deal on some 757's or 737NG's.

While alot of people expect to see westward expansion, I wouldn't count on it anytime soon. The Atlanta paper quoted CEO Joe Leonard as saying to expect 5 new east coast cities this year. Management is trying to get local cities/businesses to comit to AirTran via 2 year guaranteed revenue contracts.

gr8slvrflt

Thu Jan 31, 2002 4:11 am

But can fuel and maintainence savings possibly offset the higher acquisition/lease costs?
I work for Southwest, but the views expressed are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Southwest.

Thu Jan 31, 2002 4:25 am

Air Tran got a sweet deal on the 717s, lower than what the airplane is going for and TWA got the same deal. That is part of the reason for them ordering 50 in the beginning.

gr8slvrflt

Thu Jan 31, 2002 4:33 am

Is it true that the AA/TW 717s have longer-range and over-water capabilities? Or is that the role the A318s were to fill?

Thu Jan 31, 2002 4:39 am

I don't think they have that, in fact non of the 717s have that I think. I have no idea why TWA ordered A318s originally.

gr8slvrflt

Thu Jan 31, 2002 4:44 am

I think I remember that the 717s did not have the legs for STL-west coast. The 318s could even fly transcontinental if needed.

A330300

Thu Jan 31, 2002 6:06 am

A banned user of this board says:

Joe Leonard made it VERY clear yesterday that the only aircraft type being considered in the near future is the 717. The fuel savings of the 717 over the DC9 is 24%. Also, when it comes to NEW markets, he stressed that the only new service being considered will be additional service to existing markets from other destinations. To enter a new destination will require either that an incumbent cuts back on service (eg. BWI) or that the local government provides a 2-year minimum revenue subsidy (eg. PNS, TLH).

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos