AMSMAN
Topic Author

Faulty Italian Parts On More Than 1000 A/c

Thu Jan 31, 2002 1:12 am

Hey guys,
Did anyone else here the news about the faulty Italian a/c parts being sold on to other Airlines around the world?

The parts are supposedly from old Alitaila aircraft that have been deemed unusable but taken by thieves and sold on again with fake papers. The fake papers confirm the goods are air-worthy. They reckon more than 1000 airplanes from over 160 countries worldwide have been affected!!!

They have suspicions that this is what might have caused the November 2001 Air crash in New York!

AMSMAN
Aer Lingus, Proud to be Irish.

Turin_airport

RE: Faulty Italian Parts On More Than 1000 A/c

Thu Jan 31, 2002 1:33 am

I've started a topic with the same subject 2 days ago:

http://www.airliners.net/discussions/general_aviation/read.main/720378/6/

I was a little bit surprised nobody replied...

T_a

Dufo

Thu Jan 31, 2002 1:40 am

Greedy bastards.
But like most of the time, no one will take the responsibility. Like Enron.. ring'n'run.

Jernej
I seriously think I just creamed my pants without any influence from any outside variables.

Thu Jan 31, 2002 1:51 am

it is a known and very frightening fact for years; there's a worldwide mafia dealing with false spare parts, in many fields. Of course, when it concerns civil airliners, the dangers are terribly high.
these false pieces are packed exactly as the real ones, and it is very difficult, even perhaps impossible, to identify them.
some years ago a passenger was killed when a Delta DC-9 engine exploded; the inquiry's result: a fake spare part had led to the engine's explosion.

(there was a in-depth analysis of that threat in Business Week 3-5 years ago)

Have a nice flight!