Likesplanes
Topic Author

Westjet Gets New Planes...cuts Routes?

Fri Feb 01, 2002 4:41 am

For any Westjet fans out there, I read in our local Grande Prairie AB paper yesterday, that Westjet is sceduled to take delivery of 8 more 737-700's this year, with the possibility of 2 more for a total of 10. Sounds like they are replacing the entire fleet of 737-200's by the end of 2002. I wonder how this works out with the petition that Westjet is circulating to their passengers concerning the Canadian Government's 24 dollar round trip fee to pay for increased security. Clive Beddow is threatening to cut some of their short range service, as they feel that the increased fees will cause people to drive the shorter distances instead of flying. Anyone with any comments or thoughts on this?

jgardiner

RE: Westjet Gets New Planes...cuts Routes?

Fri Feb 01, 2002 5:53 am

Westjet had originally planned to get 6 new planes this year, but with the cancellations at Boeing after Sept 11, Boeing made them a deal they couldn't refuse, hence the extra aircraft. Even if they do not have any new routes, they will retire the -200s early because the -700 is more economical to operate.

The airport security levy is not a major issue to travelers, it is the increased time through security. By the time you have finished waiting in line, you could have already driven to some short-haul destinations.

The interesting thing about the levy is that it was decided on solely by the finance department. Transport Canada has no idea yet how this money will be spent. Also, there will be no way to track it because it will go into general coffers and not a dedicated account.

gmonney

Fri Feb 01, 2002 6:07 am

Just to let you know, WJ has 23 732's and they are really only adding to their fleet, they need the extra aircraft, they may take one or two out but i highly doubt it,

Grant
Drive it like you stole it!

dodgy

Fri Feb 01, 2002 6:29 am

WestJet will replace the entire -200 fleet, but not within this year - over the next 6 or 7. They will get rid of 2 -200's this year, one in the summer, and one in December.

As for cutting short routes - Clive said, that because of a $24 roundtrip fee - "should" traffic fall, and he thinks it will be on the short flights, YYCYEG - YVRYLW, they will take some flights away and send the a/c to more profitable centres.

With all the fees, a $1 fare YYC-YEG back would cost you $73 dollars.

Dash8King

Fri Feb 01, 2002 7:10 am

I support the petition I wish they had something online that everyone could sign. 24 dollars return is outragous and is not necessary.

fallingeese

Fri Feb 01, 2002 9:44 am

I've signed the petition. They are retiring 2 737-200's this year. The issue about the leasing other aircraft or buying some of Midway's aircraft is commonality. Westjet has different cockpit's, galleys, and are working with the Canadian Government to have HUD's in all their 737-700's. When Clive talked about cutting routes, it was meant reducing flights not completely scrapping the route.
Mark McWhirter...Contrails Photography

TWA902fly

Fri Feb 01, 2002 9:51 am

how can the USA get away with US$10 roundtrip and Canada want CAN$24 r/t? the US has many more passengers but also many more airports! (How much is $24 canadian in USA dollars anyways?)

twa902
life wasn't worth the balance, or the crumpled paper it was written on

fallingeese

Fri Feb 01, 2002 9:56 am

I think it would work out to be about $10 I think. Just a guess though. Westjet has a petition on all of it's planes. I think everyone on my flight supported it. So that's 140 passengers on one flight.

I personally think it's needed but it's too high of a cost in our pockets. The Canadian Government seems to enjoy screwing things up.
Mark McWhirter...Contrails Photography

Samurai 777

Fri Feb 01, 2002 9:59 am

Obviously, for WestJet to get rid of all 732's before 2003 does not make any sense whatsoever. WJ can't get the 73G's fast enough to warrant this!
Interestingly, I haven't heard anything about Beddoe threatening to scale back service on short-haul routes over some "security fee" being thought up those in the ivory tower in our nation's capital. However, some service might be cut due to lower passenger numbers down the road. But, I have heard about WJ wanting to accelerate its 73G deliveries. My guess is that's because of the airline preparing to serve YYZ and also to fill the void left by the now-defunct CanJet.

But I sure hope WJ doesn't cut down on the Edmonton-Grande Prairie service, though - I fly on that route every once in a while, as I have family in GP.

Fri Feb 01, 2002 10:06 am

24CDN is about 15USD. The current cap on the security tax on a r/t ticket is 10USD. I think that this is a total joke.

Is there a link on their website to sign the petition? As a WJA shareholder, I agree that this fee is outrageous!

Likesplanes
Topic Author

Sat Feb 02, 2002 10:54 am

Thank you all for the info.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos