Hamburger
Topic Author

Can Anyone Sleep In Reclining Seats?

Fri Feb 01, 2002 10:39 pm

There is hardly an airline left in the world that doesn't provide reclining seats on intercontinental flights in First and/or Business class, unless it provides beds.

Now, as far as I know..., people have been sleeping fully flat for millennia. And not at reclines of hundred-umpteen degrees, as all those ads depicting smilingly sleeping travellers, half sitting, half lying down, mostly in impeccably ironed dress shirts or blouses, imply.

Since I have never tried such seats myself, I would like to know whether these reclining seats are really relaxing/enable sound sleep, or rather let one wake up feeling cramped.

Frequent travellers, over to you...

Btw, this is not an attempt in any way to support BA's new Club World. If I remember correctly, that too has already been criticized (for its head-to-foot layout, among others) in this forum.

keesje

RE: Can Anyone Sleep In Reclining Seats?

Fri Feb 01, 2002 10:48 pm

As long as the cushions are OK and I have good head and leg support everything is OK. Many people sleep in economy class..I think until 200/300 years ago everybody slept sitting up... (afraid all the blood would flow to the head)

Earplugs, eye covers, warm sheet, enough knee room, adjustable headrest : I can sleep. In economy class you often have to wake/stand up to let a neighbour pass by, that's the problem.

cheers

"Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway

duggan

Fri Feb 01, 2002 10:52 pm

When you fly in business or first you usually sleep well after the good meal and fine wine they offer !!!!
Add a bit of champagne and you'll fall asleep anyway

keesje

Fri Feb 01, 2002 11:12 pm

Right Duggan,

1 or 2 Bailey's/ Amaretos / Marniers with the coffee can do miracles. Unless there is a well timed Blockbuster starting at the right moment of course .....  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
"Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway

carduelis

Sat Feb 02, 2002 1:05 am

BA's First seats are excellent @ 2metres length or 6'6". I did a BEJLHR last year. Great, and the generous champagne was suitably chilled!
The Club seats are less than 6' Not sure what that is in metres - haven't tried them yet.
Per Ardua ad Astra! ........ Honi Soit Qui Mal y Pense!

aking8488

Sat Feb 02, 2002 3:12 am

Large quantities of an adult beverage of your choice before the flight and you'll sleep soundly. That's what I do when I go to Asia. I hate being conscious for 12 hours sitting in a tiny little seat. Of course, this is not to imply this would be appropriate for everyone, it's not.

2cn

Sat Feb 02, 2002 3:46 am

I can fall asleep on a Business Elite seat easily- no booze needed... I can also fall asleep in a domestic firstclass seat, and even a coach seat.. so I dont have problems sleeping upright at all.

KKMolokai

Sat Feb 02, 2002 11:19 am

American's International First Class Flagship Suites are awesome ... fully flat sleeper seats ... drop down arm rests for added room/comfort ... swival seat capability ... Bose headseats. 1-2-1 seating in First.

AA's Flagship Suites are the only way to travel ... In fact, I'll be experiencing the Flagship Suite again in a few days on my way to/from Paris, France.

KK
We are the people of American Airlines. And we know why you fly.

Philly Phlyer

Sat Feb 02, 2002 11:43 am

As with most men, I often fall asleep watching TV in my easy chair (usually with one of my dogs in my lap). As such, I easily can fall asleep in the reclining seats in business or first class.

No Problem.

No Problemmmmmmmmmmmmm.....zzzzzzzz

IMissPiedmont

Sat Feb 02, 2002 12:04 pm

I think it's an airline rule that only people that paid for the seat are allowed to sleep in it.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

jessman

Sat Feb 02, 2002 12:28 pm

Yeah, I can sleep thru about anything, and sitting upright isn't even that big of a problem
I sleep in my car a lot between classes.

jesseycy

Sat Feb 02, 2002 3:49 pm

Well, I can't sleep. No way. Call me fussy, whatever.... But the seat is so small..... Give me an armchair, sure, I'll go to sleep in a few moments......

For fussy people like me, they invented sleeper beds.....

DeltaSFO

Sat Feb 02, 2002 4:50 pm

I can fall asleep with no problem in a BusinessElite seat. I have to be pretty tired to sleep in Domestic First or coach.
It's a new day. Every moment matters. Now, more than ever.

B747-4U3

Sat Feb 02, 2002 5:24 pm

I can only properly sleep on seats that fold out into a bed. As said before BA first class seats are wonderful. Last November I did LHR-JFK return in First and after some champagne, pasta and dessert I feel straight asleep.

However, I find that I did not get a good nights sleep in Economy or BA's old business class. The reason for this is that I always sleep on my side and therefore in those seats I cannot comfortably sleep on my side.

RayChuang

Sun Feb 03, 2002 5:34 am

Actually, if you can fall asleep on a reclining sofa like a Barca-Lounger you can fall asleep on most First Class seats that don't recline completely to a bed.  Smile

EIPremier

Sun Feb 03, 2002 6:14 am

Actually, I have NEVER fallen asleep on an airplane before--even when flying a transatlantic red-eye in Business Class. I always get very wired when I travel, and being a minor, the drinks trolley isn't really an option. However, I've never taken a flight that's lasted longer than 6 hours, so perhaps I might be able to sleep if the flight were long enough.

strickerje

Sun Feb 03, 2002 8:16 am

Same here-- There's just too much to see on a flight for me to sleep through it!