flyf15

Closed Airports

Sat Feb 02, 2002 8:17 am

Is there anywhere that I can find information on closed airports in the US? At the least, where they are, but information on runway sizes and diagrams would be great.

citation501sp

RE: Closed Airports

Sat Feb 02, 2002 12:41 pm

that would be an interesting collection on information, yet often when an airport closes it is either swallowed up by the local government and turning in to an industrial park or in a few rare instances it is still an airport but it lacks the people, sounds and so on. On Sectional charts there are a few closed airports listed, I know one is out near Rhode Island, Charlestown. I believe is the name of it. Like I said a closed airport often get absorbed back into the surrounding community.
Smoke and Thunder! Stage 2 FOREVER!!!

LoneStarMike

RE: Closed Airports

Sat Feb 02, 2002 1:44 pm

You might try this site:

Abandoned & Little Known Airfields

http://members.tripod.com/airfields_freeman/

I'm not sure how up-to-date this site is. It does list Denver's old Stapleton Airport, but it doesn't list AUS's old Robert Miller Municipal Airport which closed on May 23, 1999.

Austin's old airport has not yet been absorbed into the surrounding community. I think a few of the hangers have been converted to sound stages that are used by the Texas Film Commission, but that's about it. The old terminal is still there and about half of the gates at the end of the main concourse still have their jetways attached.

I have 3 or 4 aerial shots I took in December, but I have to wait until I next visit my parents in Dallas so I can scan them.

LoneStarMike