jhooper

College Station Easterwood Airport (KCLL)

Sun Feb 03, 2002 10:42 am

Anyone fly into CLL? It's a small airport about 80 miles NW of Houston, TX. Continental Express and American Eagle fly there. I'd be interested in hearing about your experiences flying into or out of this airport (good or bad, pilots and non-pilots).
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

RE: College Station Easterwood Airport (KCLL)

Sun Feb 03, 2002 10:53 am

Nothing too exciting -for me at least. Typical small college town airport. Reminds me alot of Ithaca, NY (without the scenery or the jets).

Used it when they still had the old, one room terminal to board my Britt Air Metroliner to IAH for a CO conenction.

I would guess in the future it will see RJs.

ILS

Sun Feb 03, 2002 11:00 am

Yep, I have been there for a few football games on a CO EX B1900D. Nothing too fancy. It was just, well a small town airport.

Minuteman

Sun Feb 03, 2002 11:01 am

The best thing about Easterwood is the five-minute drive to Freebirds!

ILS

Sun Feb 03, 2002 11:04 am

Freebirds is the best ever! Have you been to the one in Austin? It is awesome, I order the super monster with guacamole, rice, and black beans. It is incredible.

KAUSpilot

Sun Feb 03, 2002 11:08 am

Never flown into it, but driven by it a lot. Don't they have a few runways with surfaces in disrepair?

jhooper

Sun Feb 03, 2002 11:42 am

Great! I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one on a.net who has been in CLL. KAUSpilot, runway 4/22 isn't in the best condition, but it's usually closed in favor of runway 16/34.

ILS

Sun Feb 03, 2002 11:45 am

Here is a picture of the airport kind of. See the plane (what type?) in the background?

jhooper

Sun Feb 03, 2002 11:49 am

I try posting pics from Easterwood on this site, but they have always been rejected. I went out one time with my brand new digital camera, but security chased me away. I'll probably try again soon. Anyway, your pics is probably a single Piper or Mooney, I'd guess.

ILS

Sun Feb 03, 2002 11:53 am

AND

View of George Bush Library from approach end of runway 22.

Waiting for Rick Perry.

These are the aircraft that CLL has gotten:

AH-64 EMB 120
B-17 P-40N T-34

CH-46 SAAB 340
C-9 RC-12 T-37

CH-53
Boeing 737
C-17 T-1 T-45

UH-1
C-130 T-2

UH-60 C-141 T-6

SU-26

Pitts

Big thumbs up

ILS

Sun Feb 03, 2002 11:56 am

More detailed.

Big thumbs up

jhooper

Sun Feb 03, 2002 11:58 am

Wow! Thanks for posting all the pics!

ILS

Sun Feb 03, 2002 12:00 pm

I have more of all of the aircraft ever to visit CLL if you want those. Just specify which ones.

jhooper

Sun Feb 03, 2002 12:04 pm

I'm interested. Where did you get this information?

ILS

Sun Feb 03, 2002 12:09 pm

Oh, just some photos I find here and there. I find all of the photos in the Photo Requests Forum for people. I guess you can just say I have some connections. So, do you want any of the aircraft types I listed?

jhooper

Sun Feb 03, 2002 12:58 pm

I haven't ever seen a CO 737 in Easterwood. How often does this happen?

ILS

Sun Feb 03, 2002 1:19 pm

Almost never, it was charter I think. I think when the Aggies played U of H in Houston and they flew.

koopas

Sun Feb 03, 2002 1:42 pm

I live in College Station and fly out of easterwood airport...I did my private pilot training at United Flight Systems on the east side of the airport.

Easterwood airport is operated by Texas A&M University from which I should graduate this May (anyone looking for a good aerospace engineer?). American Eagle and Continental Express serve the airport. The reason you see CO 737's is that the KCLL is a diversion airport for Continental. Normally, we only get Embraer 120's , Saab 340's, private jets (there's an outfit with 2 falcons), and charter aircraft for visiting college sports team (such as Planet Airways 727)

The longest runway is 16/34 (north/south). When I trained this summer, I exclusively used 16.

It's a neat little airport, with a 2-story terminal on the West side for commercial traffic and a modern GA terminal on the east side.

Koopas
Gig'em!

ILS

Sun Feb 03, 2002 1:44 pm

Hey Koopas, we don't need to subject the innocent members of this forum to Gig Em.  Big thumbs up

jhooper

Sun Feb 03, 2002 3:44 pm

Koopas, it's a small world; I probably know you. Anyway, I find Easterwood to be an ideal training airport due to the good blend of civilian, military, and air carrier operations at the airport along with all the necessary instrument approaches. I have a hard time believing that the football team took a chartered jet to Houston to play U of H, but I supposed it's possible. Watch the university pay for a charter plane for us next time we take a Corps Trip and march in from out of town! Did the Aggie football team get a chartered jet to the GalleryFurniture.com bowl?

koopas

Sun Feb 03, 2002 4:02 pm

ILS: Let me guess...you fly out of Bergstrom  Smile

Jhooper: It is a small world indeed. The only Corps folks I am around are seniors in aero engineering....so unless you are one of them, I probably haven't run into you. I really like Easterwood: as you said, excellent blend of civilian, commercial, and GA traffic in Delta airspace. I was always #1 for takeoff during the summer...so you don't run the hobbs meter ($) waiting on the ground. The controllers are pretty friendly, except for one prick. It's amazing the amount of nice private jets on game day parked on runways 4/22 on game days.

Have you flown at Coulter Field in Bryan? Do you have your private pilot's license? I am waiting to take my checkride.

Oh..and no, I don't know if the Aggies chartered a jet for the bowl game in the Astrodome.

Koopas '01

KAUSpilot

Sun Feb 03, 2002 6:18 pm

Hey Koopas, good to hear from one of our counterparts to the east (I'm an ase major also).

Did you participate in the compition they have at Giddings every year between the various university flying clubs/aviation programs in the state? Sounded like fun, but unfotunately I was unable to attend on UT's behalf (not like could do much w/o the PPL yet anyway). I plan on being there next time, however.

Trivia: What's the Busiest day of the year for KCLL????

koopas

Sun Feb 03, 2002 6:36 pm

Busiest day of the year for KCLL? Must be when the Aggies are creaming the Longhorns at Kyle Field a few miles to the East of the threashold of runway 16.

Now that I got the greeting out of the way, let's talk aviation  Smile

No, I didn't participate in that competition...I didn't even know about it. I flew into KAUS at night and landed on 17L. Took me a while to see the runway though...I didn't see it until I was on short finals  Smile At first, thought that one of the major roads that runs by there was the runway. It was a great flight though...I could see the Austin tower beacon shortly after takeoff from CLL being such a clear night.

Do you fly at AUS or Georgetown (GTU)? A friend of mine flies at the latter...apparently a very busy uncontrolled airport.

What year are you at UT? How are classes?

Koopas

KAUSpilot

Sun Feb 03, 2002 7:04 pm

Yeah, the runways at AUS can be a bit tricky to locate from a distance, even for me, flying out of there 2 or 3x weekly. There are just too many other lights around the airport and the runway lights themselves are not all that strong. Even during the day I have to look closely to spot the pavement. Since Berg's runways are paralell and spaced pretty closely, AUS just isn't visible from a distance as are other airports with intersecting runways, IMO. San Marcos (KHYI), for example, is soooo easy to spot.

Like I said, I fly out of AUS; just finished my final requirement for the PPL checkride last night (dual night xc Austin-Temple-Austin). I'm hoping to get at least my CPL and MEI before I graduate......About GTU, I think there's a big school called "Lone Star Wings" up there which introduces a lot of traffic to the area.

Anyway, I'm a freshman and classes are very enjoyable thanks for asking! M408D (Sequential and Multi Var. Calculus), ASE 201 (intro to comp prog.), ASE 102 (Intro to ASE), Physics 306, and CC302 (History of Rome). Got screwed on the scheduling this semester so I got stuck with the Rome class. Gotta love this massive beauracracy.

If you don't mind my asking, what do you plan to do after graduation from A&M?

b757300

Mon Feb 04, 2002 1:11 am

KAUSpilot is probably thinking of the old Army Air Corp base that is just outside Bryan/College Station. Since he is from Austin, he would probably drive right by in since it is located on the road that goes to Austin. It now belongs to Texas A&M and is used by various parts of the Texas A&M System. I work out there so I've been out on those runways plenty of times.
"There is no victory at bargain basement prices."

Minuteman

Mon Feb 04, 2002 2:21 am

KAUSpilot,

The school up in Georgetown I recommend is Pilot's Choice. I got my PPL there, they're cheap, GTU is building a tower right now, and you don't have to fly to San Marcos to do touch and go's!

By the way, always nice to see a fellow Longhorn from ASE/EM.

redraider

Mon Feb 04, 2002 2:24 am

I'm surprised A&M has running water, much less an airport.
My wife can't wrestle, but you should see her box.

Mon Feb 04, 2002 2:39 am

During my time at A&M, 83-87, I saw a good many commercial airliners depart/arrive carrying college football teams. I vividly remember a United 727 banking away in the fall of '83 carrying the U.C. Berkeley football team back to Oakland - after beating narrowly beating A&M.

tripple7

Mon Feb 04, 2002 3:01 am

The best thing about College Station Easterwood airport is that it is only a 5 minute drive away from Fitzwilly's to have an awesome Cowboy's Choice  Smile/happy/getting dizzy. Freebirds is great too.....did anyone ever eat the whole super monster?!?!?

BTW I was on a CO RJ last December. In December I saw more CO RJ's at CLL, so I guess the RJ is a regular nowadays at CLL.

regards....ehhhm...GIG'EM AGGIES

tripple7

KAUSpilot

Mon Feb 04, 2002 3:13 am

B757300, I think you're right. From looking at the pictures, I don't think the airport I've driven by is KCLL.....the one I've been driving by isn't that close to the A&M campus.

Hoffa

Mon Feb 04, 2002 4:00 am

Two Aggie pilots named Bubba and Earl are flying a four-engine transport aircraft across country hauling a load of sheep.

When one of the engines conks out, Earl gets nervous, but Bubba manages to calm him. "We can still make it there on three engines," he says.

An hour later a second engine falters and stops running. Earl is sweating now and getting more nervous. "Calm down," Bubba says. "We're at 30,000 feet. We can still reach our destination by entering a shallow dive." And Earl returns to normal.

An hour later a third engine ceases to function. Earl is nearly frantic, but Bubba comes through again. "We're very close to our destination now, and we still have plenty of altitude. I promise you we'll make it!" And Earl is okay again.

Fifteen minutes later they're down to 5,000 feet altitude, 75 miles short of their destination, and the last engine quits.

Earl is in a frenzy of fear. And quite frankly, Bubba is too. "We have to bail out," he says.

"But what about the sheep?!" Earl asks.

"Fuck the sheep!" Bubba shouts.

"You mean we have time?" Earl says.

----------
Gag 'em Sheep.  Big grin

jhooper

Mon Feb 04, 2002 4:14 am

Koopas, Yes, I've flown out at Coulter. I'm a local CFI here in College Station. Are you still waiting for a checkride with Gandy (I think he's the only examiner in the area)? I scheduled a student for a checkride with him the other day and his backlog was two weeks. Anyway, you probably know Niel B. (he kept his biplane in my hangar in Brenham for a while) and Robert P. (he's one of my Corps buddies). Good luck with you checkride!

IAHERJ

Mon Feb 04, 2002 5:45 am

Good ole CLL. I used to be a regular there in the COEX EMB-120. I think we now use more ATR's than 120's and will probably go all ATR or be closed in the next year due to the all jet operation of Continental Express by 2003.

Fond memories are the great controler who has no radar and does a great job of moving airplanes in and out and mixing all types of traffic into the airport. Landing to the north at minimums in the rain and realizing that the runway is rather short for a fully loaded Embraer 120. I flew the EMB-120 for the first time in aircraft training in the middle of the night at CLL in 1998. What fond memories. And the overnight at the Holiday Inn where we would bum a ride to the Dixie Chicken for cold beer and eye candy.
Actually flown: EMB-120 EMB-145 B717 B737 B757 B767

ILS

Mon Feb 04, 2002 5:57 am

Yeah I fly out of AUS.  Smile I can eat an entire super monster too.  Big thumbs up Anyway, it is glad to see all of the central Texans here. I am kind of worried. I saw 10 police cars, 2 APD buses, and 3 APD choppers circling around 5 minutes ago. I wonder what happened?

koopas

Mon Feb 04, 2002 7:23 am

KAUSpilot: Well, I am hoping to get a job in the industry. Lockheed Martin is hiring lots of engineers in the wake of the JSF contract award. Northrop Grumman in California also is. So I am just waiting patiently. I interned at American in Tulsa during my junior year as a co-op engineer. However, given the state of the airline industry, it's doubtful that I'll hear from AA again.

I am also taking the GRE in two weeks, so graduate school may not be out of the question.

Oh..and that Austin Aero GA terminal sure is nice.

IAHERJ: When I was doing my PPL night landing requirement at CLL, there were a few COEX EMB-120's with rather cocky pilots (according to my CFI) who were shooting ILS approaches while making super wide patterns, with no particular consideration for GA aircraft...let's just say it was pretty difficult getting 10 landings in. They were also clogging up the CTAF with useless chatter. Maybe it's standard procedures. I guess we were all a little jealous.

Jhooper: I am waiting until the end of the semester to get back in the cockpit. I'll need some refresher lessons and then schedule my checkride. I may not even finish my training at CLL if I do get a job elsewhere. Are you a freelance CFI or do you work at a flight school like UFS or Preiss Aviation? What are your rates?

Koopas

b757300

Mon Feb 04, 2002 10:29 am

Here @ CLL, COEX flies all EMB-120's except there is an ATR-42 around 1:45 P.M. An ERJ-135/145 shows up on occasion but I would guess it is as an equipment substitution. AE is all Saab 340B's.

Here a 3 shots from CLL. I've tried to upload a few but they always die from a case of bad aesthetics.

http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/co757300/lst?.dir=/Pictures/CLL&.order=&.view=l&.src=bc&.done=http%3a//briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/co757300/lst%3f.dir=/Pictures%26.src=bc%26.view=l

jhooper

Mon Feb 04, 2002 10:40 am

I instruct out at the A&M Flying Club, but all of our work is considered freelance. I charge $18 an hour.

A few months ago I was using Flight Explorer and tracking an AA Eagle flight that was approaching CLL when we had a severe squall line right over the top of us. Somehow the ATR-72 punched through but did one go around and looked like they were going to divert to IAH, but they got it in on the second attempt in one of the nastiest Texas storms I've ever seen. I was also listening to the aircraft talk to Houston Center on my scanner.

IAHERJ, when you say "closed" do you mean that Co. Express is considering dropping Easterwood, or could we get regional jet service into here?

Koopas, I was out with a student last summer finishing up his night requirements and the RJ pilots who were up there with us seemed pretty cool on the radio. I really wanted to ask if they'd let us come for a ride while they did their approaches, but I wasn't going to ask them to put their jobs on the line for us. However, every now and then, I have encountered a EMB120 crew dart in like they own the airport with total disregard for the right-of-way rules. Realizing that they are traveling much faster and on a tight schedule, and I don't want to delay a planeload of airline passengers, I usually just get out of their way and circle for a while.

jhooper

Mon Feb 04, 2002 10:44 am

B757300, thanks for sharing those pics. Last time I tried standing right where those pics were taken, a security guard ran me off. Are you sure all Eagle flights are now SAABs, because I know they operated an ATR-72 in here not too long ago. Also, whenever I see an ERJ in Easterwood, they are just doing training.

b757300

Mon Feb 04, 2002 11:41 am

Well, I wouldn't be surprised to see an AE ATR now and then but I haven't seen one personally in a long time. As for the ERJ's, I know most are flying here for training since CLL doesn't have a massive amount of traffic, but I did see one bring in passengers when I was seeing a friend off.

As for those pictures, I was standing on the closed upper level driveway, just off to the left of the main doors. I did have a National Guardsman hassle me but I don’t think he expected me to refuse to leave. After I told him to prove to me it was against the law to take pictures, he left but told me not to come back. I’ve been back several more times and he hasn’t bitched again.

jhooper

Mon Feb 04, 2002 12:46 pm

How can I find out what Airlines have ever flown into Easterwood (charter, scheduled, or otherwise)? I know ASA once flew there, but has a Delta aircraft ever been into CLL?

IAHERJ

Mon Feb 04, 2002 1:29 pm

Well Koopas, when you consider that the night flying is all training, and the FAA examiner or company check airman is on board watching your every move, you bet there are long patterns and excessive chatter on the ctaf. You fly like you are in the simulator, not to mention that the check pilot is pulling engines to idle and simulating fires/failures while you are flying in the pattern. Cocky, some probably were. I was just a young scared 22 year old being checked by a veteran FAA inspector who was very intimidating. The instructor said little to nothing the whole 2 nights which confused the hell out of me and my new hire partner.

As for the pilots who disregard the other traffic in the pattern; I can recall many a time when we got slammed into the area by Houston approach. Our final approach speed was normally around 131 knots and even on a downwind fully configured and on speed we would be flying at the cruise speed of most singles. We are on a schedule and are running a business and the short hops like CLL-IAH don't give us much distance to make up time in the event we are slowed by atc or wx delays. The RJ is a different story but I don't think you'll ever see one in CLL. I hope I'm wrong. I've had to hold for up to 30 minutes due to a military training flight shooting approaches and not canceling IFR on the ground. I don't recall any close calls with any GA aircraft. I went around once but that was my call as we were overtaking an airplane on a long final to 16. Anyway, hope that clears some stuff up. Fly safe out there.
IAHERJ
Actually flown: EMB-120 EMB-145 B717 B737 B757 B767

Hole_Courtney

Mon Feb 04, 2002 1:56 pm

There is a long list of airlines that used to fly into CLL.

Among them are Rio Airways, Royale Air, ASA, and the current AE an Co Express.

I have been going out to easter wood since 1986! I remember the first Continental flight in the old colours when they first started service.

The old terminal was waht the General Aviation terminal is now. IT was hella cool cos you could sit at the railing and be about 20 feet from the airplanes. When they turned around to head towards the runway, you could smell the exhaust. it was hella cool.

anyhow, i wish i could have gotten into this topic sooner. i've watched that airport for years!

live forever and stay beautiful,
hole_courtney
"[He] knew everything about literature, except how to enjoy it." - Yossarian, Catch 22

b757300

Mon Feb 04, 2002 2:32 pm

I remember Rio. When I was 5 or 6, my Dad had a period where he used to fly a lot for TAMU so my Mom would take me to the airport to see him off or coming home. Also when I was little, I would drive my parents nuts with wanting to go see the planes @ the airport almost every day. I guess that is why I have such a love for commercial aviation today. I even have a pair of Rio wings that a pilot gave me almost 20 years ago.

Tue Feb 05, 2002 12:34 am

I worked for Rio Airways from Oct. 1982 to May 1983. We flew Twin Otters into CLL from both DFW and IAH. Prior to Rio Airways, an airline named Davis Airlines served the route from DFW; Love Field prior to January 1974.

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © John P. Stewart

Tue Feb 05, 2002 1:30 am

During the very early 80s there was an airline that had a nonstop from San Antonio...of course I can't recall the name..maybe Permian. It seems they flew a Piper using the OAG designator of "PAG" but I could be mistaken.

This service didn't last long to say the least. I remember calling to get a fare quote for my older brother.

From a 1960 Continental timetable, DC3 service was operated from Abilene via FTW-DAL-ACT-Temple-CLL-HOU

From a 1972 OAG...Texas International operated Beech 99s to DFW via Waco and Temple. A 1973 TI timetable lists Convair 600s from Houston and Waco.

From a 1976 OAG...Davis Airlines had 12 daily flights using Cessna 402 (DFW and IAH)

Who would have thought a College Station thread could generate this many responses?

b757300

Tue Feb 05, 2002 2:48 am

I'm shocked it got more than 10.