airplanetire

Ever Bought A First Class Or Concorde Ticket?

Sun Feb 03, 2002 11:38 am

Have you, not for business, ever bought, out of your own pocket, a longhaul first class or a Concorde ticket. These tickets being for trips for your own pleasure, when you paid. I don't mean you got an upgrade, I mean you actually paid for the full first class ticket or Concorde ticket. Was it worth the money?

ILS

RE: Ever Bought A First Class Or Concorde Ticket?

Sun Feb 03, 2002 11:39 am

I fly first class a lot, but I just upgrade using FF miles or get automatically upgraded on CO or NW.

jhooper

Sun Feb 03, 2002 11:45 am

Good question. Does ANYONE do this?
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

airplanetire

Sun Feb 03, 2002 11:55 am

Unless they're rich, I doubt that it happens very often. They are probably mostly upgrades, frequent flyer tickets, or businesses buying the seats for their business people.

ILS

Sun Feb 03, 2002 11:56 am

Or Nonrev.

777-200

Sun Feb 03, 2002 11:57 am

ive flown in business on a DL MD-11 from CVG-LGW, my mom bought the Tickets it was ok but not the best Biz class in the world (this was before Biz Elite)
Another Day, Another Dollar.... Young Jeezy

ILS

Sun Feb 03, 2002 12:08 pm

HAHA I would love to see like a 7 year old on airliners.net asking their mom, "Mom, some guy named lainhol just called another guy a raging homosexual. What does that mean?"

bobcat

Sun Feb 03, 2002 12:12 pm

I bought full fare trans-Atlantic tickets
a couple of time.(JFK-LHR, BOS-FRA)
The reason was that my American Express
Platinum Card and the airlines offered
buy-one-get-one-free first class deals.

mariner

Sun Feb 03, 2002 12:53 pm

Airplanetire:

The short answer to your question is yes. I've bought First Class and Concorde, as my choice. I've been lucky in my life, and it's a perk I gave myself as a present.

Is it worth it? Mostly not. Sure, First Class on Qantas and Singapore is terrific, but not when it's your own money - depending on how much money you have.

Concorde is something else. Concorde is worth every dime of it. I did it once, and I won't do it again (it's just too expensive), but it is amazing.

You go through the sound barrier (no big deal, except that you're doing it). You get to see the curve of the earth. You get to see the blackness of space up above you.

And the landing? That is really something, maybe the best part. Those engines that took you to mach 2 go into reverse thrust and the plane vibrates with incredible power. A couple of Texas guys on my flight were yelling out: "Yeehaw!"

Do it one day. It's something you'll remember all your life.

Cheers

mariner
aeternum nauta

YWG

Sun Feb 03, 2002 1:27 pm

Norevenue passengers (like myself) rarelty get buisness elite on AC, becuase Air Canada's rule is that you have to fill the back up with people, like the higher priorities, and then the buddy pass people end up in buisness!  Pissed The only thing that would get me into 1st class is a full economy section, a winning lottery ticket, or an Department Of Defence with Air Cadets trip  Big thumbs up
Contact Winnipeg center now on 134.4, good day.

Sun Feb 03, 2002 1:53 pm

Never have bought a first ticket, but am upgraded for free three days before the flight everytime I fly on NW/CO.

teva

Sun Feb 03, 2002 5:33 pm

Never bought a first class ticket, but have been upgraded a few times as a compensation. (once for a delay due to the fog in DXB... the second time due to a check in agent mistake...)
Yes , it is a great experiience. I remember the taste of some wines, my personal DVD player, with a great choice of movies.
And the bed !!! First time I can really sleep on board a flight !! When you arrive, you feel the difference.

If one day I have enough money, it will be my choice for long flight (over 09 hours). And only if it is a real business class, not a "business/first". I remember my september flight CDG-STL with TWA. It was a business class seat, below the average (compared to AF, BA, SR, LH,...) But the price was really close to first class !!!!!
Luckily for me , this time, my company paid the ticket !!!

Nana....
Ecoute les orgues, Elles jouent pour toi...C'est le requiem pour un con

2cn

Sun Feb 03, 2002 6:35 pm

YWG- I wouldnt expect anyone to get into BizElite on AC since BizElite is only on Delta  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

and since I am replying.. I never have bought a first class ticket- only bought a ticket once, and that was in coach... the rest of the times have been non reving.

ILOVEA340

Sun Feb 03, 2002 7:23 pm

My parents bought full fare Biz. on a swissair (743) ZRH-LAX flight as Y was full and we needed to get back to next day due to a family emergency.

747-600X

How Do You Get The NW Upgrades?

Sun Feb 03, 2002 8:18 pm

Hey guys, how do you get upgraded with NW?

Sun Feb 03, 2002 8:29 pm

Yes, I have frequently bought myself First Class tickets for very long trips - usually Round the World ones though which offer considerably better value for money.

RE: How Do You Get The NW Upgrades?

Tue Feb 05, 2002 8:35 am

747-600X, since I am a Gold Elite with Northwest (fly 50,000 miles or more per year) then you can get an upgrade everytime you fly with them or Continental, three days before departure. Or you can be a Silver Elite (25,000 miles or more per year) also get them everytime you fly, but only 1 day before departure.