BTVB6Flyer
Topic Author

What's Next For TPA (Route Wise)?

Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:04 am

As the title says what's next for Tampa INTL Airport (TPA)?

So many have previously doubted their ability to attain and retain INTL service, under Joe Lopano TPA has progressed immensely from its former CEO predecessor.

First came ZRH, then PTY, SEA, then FRA and recently SFO.

So what is next for TPA? I feel like a secondary UK route is due. MEX? SAN? PDX? AerLingus?

Amazon (PrimeAir) just started ABE and PHX routes today, as well.

Bahamasair is possibly starting TPA per OAG, but no formal announcement yet.

Thoughts...?

727LOVER

Re: What's Next For TPA (Route Wise)?

Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:36 am

I was going to say BUF, but apparently WN already flies it.
I think CLE is without a flight.

MEX has been tries several times. Who would fly it?

BTVB6Flyer wrote:

From TPA?
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

BTVB6Flyer
Topic Author

Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:41 am

Both F9 and NK fly to CLE.

MEX could be either AM or 4O.

And yes, Amazon Cargo with those routes. New cargo routes are always good.

Domestically, I think SLC, PDX, SAN would be TPA's wants now.

727LOVER wrote:
I was going to say BUF, but apparently WN already flies it.
I think CLE is without a flight.

MEX has been tries several times. Who would fly it?

BTVB6Flyer wrote:

From TPA?

727LOVER

Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:01 am

BTVB6Flyer wrote:
Both F9 and NK fly to CLE

Ah, yes..forgot about the ULCCs...I only checked UA & WN

BTVB6Flyer wrote:
Domestically, I think SLC, PDX, SAN would be TPA's wants now.

Quite surprised DL doesn't do SLC. For the longest time, they didn't fly it. Then they started it...and now it's gone again.
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

FLYKTPA

Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:20 pm

Back in April a news article said that the airport was currently re-evaluating their international plan to see if markets like BOG and GRU still make sense to target. The airport has also mentioned Aer Lingus and Paris as options for new flights.

I think the most realistic new European service opportunities for TPA are:
Icelandair/WOW air to KEF
Thomas Cook/Virgin Atlantic to MAN
Norwegian to CPH,OSL,CDG,ARN.
Aer Lingus to DUB
And if Air France and KLM go LH low cost then AMS or CDG.

MAH4546

Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:38 pm

Aer Lingus simply isn't realistic with it flying to MCO already and an MIA announcement supposedly forthcoming soon.
a.

FLYKTPA

Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:41 pm

MAH4546 wrote:
Aer Lingus simply isn't realistic with it flying to MCO already and an MIA announcement supposedly forthcoming soon.

LH makes MCO,MIA and TPA all work then why not Aer Lingus? I do think that if TPA happened it would be after MIA was added.

787fan8

Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:01 pm

IMO it's hard for TPA to attract foreign carriers with MCO just down the road. I think we will see more domestic growth from TPA than we will international.
Atlanta is an incredibly cool city - Andrew Lincoln

AC_B777

Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:14 pm

WS recently announced they will be starting YYT-TPA this winter. This route hasn't been flown since AC gave it up back in the 1980's.
This will be the second destination served by WS in Florida out of YYT. They operate YYT-MCO 2X weekly in the winter.
I suspect we will see AC Rouge add YYT-TPA eventually as WS has a monopoly to sun destinations from YYT.
In life, some days you are the bug..... some days you are the windshield!

AC_B777

Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:16 pm

WS recently announced they will be starting YYT-TPA this winter. This route hasn't been flown since AC gave it up back in the 1980's.
This will be the second destination served by WS in Florida out of YYT. They operate YYT-MCO 2X weekly in the winter.
I suspect we will see AC Rouge add YYT-TPA eventually as WS has a monopoly to sun destinations from YYT.
In life, some days you are the bug..... some days you are the windshield!

FLYKTPA

Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:26 pm

AC_B777 wrote:

I feel like AC Rouge and WS have more untapped potential in TPA.
WS could and YUL 1-3x weekly during the winter/spring as AC has a monopoly on the market. WS or Rouge could also add YYC, YHM or YQB all 1-2x weekly during the winter/spring season when Canada-TPA demand really grows. Hopefully YYT works out well for WS and gives them the confidence to try out other markets in the future.

MAH4546

Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:39 pm

FLYKTPA wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:

LH makes MCO,MIA and TPA all work then why not Aer Lingus? I do think that if TPA happened it would be after MIA was added.

Because Aer Lingus isn't the size of LH. LH/BA/AF work on entirely different economies of scale.
a.

BTVB6Flyer
Topic Author

Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:28 pm

I could for sure see more Canadian routes in the future, or a new airline in Air Transat.

Or more routes West of Toronto.

bayside319

Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:39 pm

From what I've read, it appears that SLC and PDX are the next domestic targets. As far as international service, maybe some secondary Canadian markets or a flight from one of the TUI carriers, but I think the airport has filled a lot of it's international potential. They management at TPA has done a great job the past few years bringing in a lot of new destinations, international and domestic.

11725Flyer

Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:23 pm

Just for the fun of it, wouldn't it be cool if DL flew TPA-LHR to compete with BA/AA to LGW?

FLYKTPA

Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:31 pm

11725Flyer wrote:
Just for the fun of it, wouldn't it be cool if DL flew TPA-LHR to compete with BA/AA to LGW?

That would be really cool. Potentially Delta could fill up a 767 and fly to AMS or CDG to connect to the extensive AF and KLM networks but they would rather you connect in ATL or JFK :( Hopefully if Air France or KLM ever start a LH low cost branch they add TPA.

MIflyer12

Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:21 pm

FLYKTPA wrote:
11725Flyer wrote:

That would be really cool. Potentially Delta could fill up a 767 and fly to AMS or CDG to connect to the extensive AF and KLM networks but they would rather you connect in ATL or JFK :(

DL gives connections TPA-DTW-AMS/CDG as well as a bunch via JFK or ATL, all of which are pretty efficient compared to Great Circle Routes. Unless you're convinced you can grow the market or get a fare premium for non-stops, why compete with your own services?

727LOVER

Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:22 am

Some may not be aware, but TPA's first European route was to AMS in the late 70's
http://www.departedflights.com/NA050179p16.html

readytotaxi

Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:18 am

11725Flyer wrote:

Suprised that Virgin Atlantic has not dipped a toe in the water.
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!

BTVB6Flyer
Topic Author

Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:07 am

Brining this back after Icelandair just recently announced KEF non-stop at 2x weekly, year round service.

VacationExpress via SwiftAir is also entering the Caribbean market by starting 1x weekly flights to CUN and PUJ come summer.

Per OAG, LH is increasing service as well come June.

I don't think many saw this one coming.

So I pose the question, what's next now?

I would have to assume TPA won't see a new European route for a bit. I would think focus would now be on Central America and domestically West Coast. PDX, SAN, Costa Rica, Jamaica, MEX.

FLYKTPA

Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:15 am

Back in April the airport said that they are working on a new list of target destinations. I assume cities like MEX, SAN, MAN & DUB will be on the list. I guess we will have to wait and see.
http://www.tbo.com/news/business/tia-of ... -20160409/

KTPAFlyer

Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:09 am

You know, I'm still surprised that no Spanish/Latin American carrier serves Tampa. Icelandair and Edelweiss are interesting, but the core is BA, LH, and one of the LA carriers. Between LAN and TAM, I'm putting my money on LAN. Here's to hoping that we see the first scheduled 787 service to TPA :)

FLYKTPA

Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:33 am

KTPAFlyer wrote:
You know, I'm still surprised that no Spanish/Latin American carrier serves Tampa. Icelandair and Edelweiss are interesting, but the core is BA, LH, and one of the LA carriers. Between LAN and TAM, I'm putting my money on LAN. Here's to hoping that we see the first scheduled 787 service to TPA :)

Sadly I think that TAM is a long shot since Brazil's economy is pretty bad, but it is getting better.... LAN only has a daily LIM and seasonal SCL flight out of MCO. Even though I hate comparing TPA to MCO, I think LAN would need a lot of convincing to add TPA. But hopefully I'm wrong and they can convince Avianca to add BOG or LAN to add LIM.

iFlyDTW

Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:30 pm

TPA needs more competition on the DTW route, I know it has both NK and DL but with how many pax use this flight both ways, I would assume F9 or WN would jump in the market, or for a long shot, JetBlue.
Home of the "Bare Fare" /// Banana Plane Republic

GVIIO

Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:08 am

Realistically I think TPA should try and work on Avianca or Aeromexico a few days a week, they seem like better options than LAN or TAM.

FLYKTPA

Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:02 am

GVIIO wrote:
Realistically I think TPA should try and work on Avianca or Aeromexico a few days a week, they seem like better options than LAN or TAM.

Have you heard any specifics on what international carriers the airport is in talks with or what carrier is showing interest in adding TPA service?
Also have you heard how Copa is performing? Any possibility of a frequency increase to daily? Your insight as an airport employee is greatly appreciated.

CITRUS737ROC

Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:12 am

Good Early Morning all!!

It was announced yesterday that Delta will be re-starting SLC on 12/21, so you can knock off another destination off the list. One thing that I have learned in aviation is that you never say never with regards to anything, especially when it comes to new routes. While I don't know what might possibly be announced next, keep an eye out for what TPA might do, for you never know what might be announced!

Cheers!
-Brian

GVIIO

Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:02 pm

I heard through my sources that SAN is in the works, not sure with who I'm guessing maybe Southwest or Alaska maybe? Also read not too long ago that Virgin America turned down a incentive pitch from TPA. Not sure why they would turn it down or what their concerns would be with flying there?

FLYKTPA

Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:23 pm

I heard from an A-net user that Alaska is looking at SAN. I wouldn't be surprise If it was added this year. I read a while ago that Virgin turned down a TPA pitch after Joe Lopano arrived. Virgin or Alaska adding SFO wouldn't surprise me either. Have you heard anything regarding international carriers?

SANFan

Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:23 pm

FLYKTPA wrote:
I heard from an A-net user that Alaska is looking at SAN. I wouldn't be surprise If it was added this year. I read a while ago that Virgin turned down a TPA pitch after Joe Lopano arrived. Virgin or Alaska adding SFO wouldn't surprise me either. Have you heard anything regarding international carriers?

GVIIO wrote:
I heard through my sources that SAN is in the works, not sure with who I'm guessing maybe Southwest or Alaska maybe? Also read not too long ago that Virgin America turned down a incentive pitch from TPA. Not sure why they would turn it down or what their concerns would be with flying there?

Interesting, guys.

I'm going out a limb here, and suggesting, due to lots of things being posted here and there recently, & some gut feelings, that we may very well see TPA-SAN announced soon by AS. I also think a fall 2017 start date is a strong possibility.

This year there has been what I would call a 3-way skirmish in SAN between AAG, WN AND F9. As of right now, AAG is actually in 'last place'. Both WN and F9 have been grabbing up new markets like mad - 6 for WN, 4 for Frontier, & 3 for AAG- and IMHO, many of those were going to be taken by AAG. I think now AAG has to make some grabs of their own for SAN before those routes are also snatched by someone else.

I think Tampa is definitely a possibility of a currently unserved market from their California focus city that AAG will go for, and quickly.

I would personally love to see a nonstop between Lindbergh Field and Tampa Int'l! Lets see what happens yet this month.

bb

njdevilsin03

Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:00 pm

How bout b6 to Fort Lauderdale 3x daily to connect to flights further south?
717, 727, 731, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 752, 753, 762, 763, 777, DC9, MD80, DC10, L1011, ERJ, CRJ, ATR, DH8, A300,

FLYKTPA

Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:36 pm

njdevilsin03 wrote:
How bout b6 to Fort Lauderdale 3x daily to connect to flights further south?

Not too long ago I found a map where B6 showed potential markets they could add from FLL. TPA was show as a growth possibility. 3 daily flights would perform very well.

afcjets

Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:01 am

I wonder if AA has some widebodies that could do turns from MIA like they do for MCO that would otherwise sit on the tarmac between long haul flights.

FLYKTPA

Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:16 am

afcjets wrote:
I wonder if AA has some widebodies that could do turns from MIA like they do for MCO that would otherwise sit on the tarmac between long haul flights.

I'm sure AA has the aircraft for it. The problem would be filling it. TPA has no where near the South American and Latin American demand that MCO has.

globalcabotage

Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:03 am

Hourly 380 service to DTW, BOS, and MIA!

FLYKTPA

Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:14 am

globalcabotage wrote:

Only hourly?! Why not 2x 380 per hour?

flymco753

Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:08 am

globalcabotage wrote:
You strike again with a useless comment that has nothing to do but dawg your lest favorite cities, at least, that's what it looks like in other posts.
Whether you're here on business, returning home, or visiting our world class attractions, welcome to Orlando and Central Florida...

thedetroitpole

Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:12 am

flymco753 wrote:
globalcabotage wrote:
You strike again with a useless comment that has nothing to do but dawg your lest favorite cities, at least, that's what it looks like in other posts.
No worries flymco, at least you are not butt hurt when a constructive idea is brought up about potential service DTW, than go around blasting it all over the site.

flymco753

Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:14 am

FLYKTPA wrote:
globalcabotage wrote:

Only hourly?! Why not 2x 380 per hour?
Y'all are going to have to take a chill pill or something, or lay off the keyboard for a few hours. :stirthepot:
Whether you're here on business, returning home, or visiting our world class attractions, welcome to Orlando and Central Florida...

axiom

Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:48 am

thedetroitpole wrote:
flymco753 wrote:
globalcabotage wrote:
No worries flymco, at least you are not butt hurt when a constructive idea is brought up about potential service DTW, than go around blasting it all over the site.

The phrase "butt hurt" is pretty obnoxious, not to mention the homophobic undertones. Constructive critique is far more compelling than juvenile name calling.

aemoreira1981

Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:48 pm

I'm surprised that BA doesn't consider LHR with a 787-8. New Orleans is going to get a 787-9.

FLYKTPA

Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:57 pm

aemoreira1981 wrote:
I'm surprised that BA doesn't consider LHR with a 787-8. New Orleans is going to get a 787-9.

Since BA already has daily LGW-TPA flights, they must be happy with only serving the O&D market between TPA and London. I feel like MSY is getting LHR because they couldn't fill the flight with people just going to London, so the connections LHR offers will help fill the flight.

GVIIO

Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:23 am

On a side note, I work the LH flight at TPA and have heard that the flight becoming mainline is a strong possibility. Not sure with what aircraft however

GVIIO

Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:24 am

And incase anyone is wondering, the loads for LH at TPA are incredibly full, with cargo included

FLYKTPA

Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:29 am

GVIIO wrote:
And incase anyone is wondering, the loads for LH at TPA are incredibly full, with cargo included

That's awesome news! If the flight becomes mainline would the frequency increase? Also, have you heard anything about other potential international carriers looking at TPA?

GVIIO

Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:19 pm

I actually just heard its confirmed TPA will become mainline LH when I asked when I was just told soon, and not sure if frequency would increase but they always say they are looking to go daily so we will see. New carriers are always being tossed around, Thomas Cook is the latest rumor I hear.

FLYKTPA

Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:52 pm

GVIIO wrote:
I actually just heard its confirmed TPA will become mainline LH when I asked when I was just told soon, and not sure if frequency would increase but they always say they are looking to go daily so we will see. New carriers are always being tossed around, Thomas Cook is the latest rumor I hear.

It's very exciting that the route has done so well for LH. It sounds like they are very happy with the business class loads. It seems like the airport is pushing hard for MAN service and Thomas Cook would be perfect for the route.

bfitzflyer

Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:15 pm

Just curious along these lines, does anyone know how the new UA flight to SFO is doing.

GVIIO

Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:49 pm

Not too sure on the SFO flight. But yes the LH flight has been a massive success I also heard from my superiors that they wouldn't be surprised of an aircraft upgrade also due to the huge success of J, he didn't say which aircraft again this is all speculation by higher ups.

FLYKTPA

Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:05 pm

GVIIO wrote:
Not too sure on the SFO flight. But yes the LH flight has been a massive success I also heard from my superiors that they wouldn't be surprised of an aircraft upgrade also due to the huge success of J, he didn't say which aircraft again this is all speculation by higher ups.

Have you heard anything regarding terminal expansion or a future airside D? What specific airlines have you heard being tossed around? Carriers like Aer Lingus, Avianca or Norwegian? Sorry for asking a thousand questions, I just enjoy talking to someone who has actual airport insight.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos