TheGeordielad

Re: What's Next For TPA (Route Wise)?

Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:40 pm

FLYKTPA wrote:
GVIIO wrote:
I actually just heard its confirmed TPA will become mainline LH when I asked when I was just told soon, and not sure if frequency would increase but they always say they are looking to go daily so we will see. New carriers are always being tossed around, Thomas Cook is the latest rumor I hear.

It's very exciting that the route has done so well for LH. It sounds like they are very happy with the business class loads. It seems like the airport is pushing hard for MAN service and Thomas Cook would be perfect for the route.

That's what I was thinking Thomas Cook Airlines and Possibly Level to Barcelona
however not sure if level will work.

FLYKTPA

Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:57 pm

Tampa doesn't seem to have much of a market to Spain. Level might work with extensive connections but even then...... I can defiantly see Thomas Cook adding TPA along with SAN.

TheGeordielad

Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:16 pm

FLYKTPA wrote:
Tampa doesn't seem to have much of a market to Spain. Level might work with extensive connections but even then...... I can defiantly see Thomas Cook adding TPA along with SAN.

Ok I thought there was a market.

BTVB6Flyer
Topic Author

Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:21 pm

Well, TPA can now cross SAN off their list.

Of their original domestic 4 list (SLC,SAN,SFO,PDX); they have nailed 3 of the 4. Next up is PDX, presumably with AS/VX.

Lots of talk recently on several forums about Thomas Cook doing MAN-TPA.

Domestically, after PDX they will have to start focusing on smaller secondary cities one would think other than going for a second airline on routes like LAX,SEA, etc. But cities like SJC, OAK, OKC, BTV/PBG, PWM. F9 has stated COS-TPA will start this winter.

What could we all see coming next?

avi8

Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:06 pm

I wonder if TPA could be DL's next focus city. Could AS start an eastern focus city there with their E-jets? I feel like WN has peaked at TPA and it's time for someone else to make a run for their money.
avi8

Medschool student

flymco753

Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:10 pm

DL has a heavy presence at MCO already, and MCO is focus worthy with the amount of flights and connection opportunities they have to the UK and GRU, so I don't think DL would build TPA like that. Most airlines have built up at MCO which makes it hard for TPA to grow another airline, but I'm sure F9 or NK could possibly go for it one day.
Whether you're here on business, returning home, or visiting our world class attractions, welcome to Orlando and Central Florida...

jplatts

Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:12 pm

Southwest adding nonstop service from TPA to OAK, LAX, and CVG.

jplatts

Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:22 pm

Will AS or VX even add nonstop service to TPA from SFO and LAX? AS does serve TPA nonstop out of its main SEA hub, and SFO only sees nonstop service to TPA on UA. In addition, TPA only sees nonstop service out of LAX on DL. SFO-TPA and LAX-TPA are not served nonstop by any LCCs and are two of the largest routes that are served nonstop by only one legacy airline, despite a significant LCC presence at TPA, LAX, and the San Francisco Bay Area.

FLYKTPA

Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:14 am

GVIIO wrote:
I heard through my sources that SAN is in the works, not sure with who I'm guessing maybe Southwest or Alaska maybe? Also read not too long ago that Virgin America turned down a incentive pitch from TPA. Not sure why they would turn it down or what their concerns would be with flying there?

You were spot on with predicting SAN. With the thread about Thomas Cook looking to add MAN- TPA,MSY & SAN, it looks like you may be right about Thomas Cook too. Have you heard any other TPA rumors regarding new routes, increased service or new airlines?

Dominion301

Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:35 am

FLYKTPA wrote:
AC_B777 wrote:
WS recently announced they will be starting YYT-TPA this winter. This route hasn't been flown since AC gave it up back in the 1980's.
This will be the second destination served by WS in Florida out of YYT. They operate YYT-MCO 2X weekly in the winter.
I suspect we will see AC Rouge add YYT-TPA eventually as WS has a monopoly to sun destinations from YYT.

I feel like AC Rouge and WS have more untapped potential in TPA.
WS could and YUL 1-3x weekly during the winter/spring as AC has a monopoly on the market. WS or Rouge could also add YYC, YHM or YQB all 1-2x weekly during the winter/spring season when Canada-TPA demand really grows. Hopefully YYT works out well for WS and gives them the confidence to try out other markets in the future.

Pretty much any mainline WS and/or AC Canadian city within narrowbody range of TPA not already served, is a potential candidate for new winter seasonal service. If AC were to ever add new routes to TPA (unlikely), it'll be on mainline like YOW and YHZ have always been and not Rouge.

I'd also bet that any future Canadian ULCC would serve PIE instead of TPA. How many of the leisure UK carriers still serve PIE?

FLYKTPA

Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:10 am

Dominion301 wrote:
FLYKTPA wrote:
AC_B777 wrote:
WS recently announced they will be starting YYT-TPA this winter. This route hasn't been flown since AC gave it up back in the 1980's.
This will be the second destination served by WS in Florida out of YYT. They operate YYT-MCO 2X weekly in the winter.
I suspect we will see AC Rouge add YYT-TPA eventually as WS has a monopoly to sun destinations from YYT.

I feel like AC Rouge and WS have more untapped potential in TPA.
WS could and YUL 1-3x weekly during the winter/spring as AC has a monopoly on the market. WS or Rouge could also add YYC, YHM or YQB all 1-2x weekly during the winter/spring season when Canada-TPA demand really grows. Hopefully YYT works out well for WS and gives them the confidence to try out other markets in the future.

Pretty much any mainline WS and/or AC Canadian city within narrowbody range of TPA not already served, is a potential candidate for new winter seasonal service. If AC were to ever add new routes to TPA (unlikely), it'll be on mainline like YOW and YHZ have always been and not Rouge.

I'd also bet that any future Canadian ULCC would serve PIE instead of TPA. How many of the leisure UK carriers still serve PIE?

Zero U.K. Carriers serve PIE. Air Transat use to serve PIE, but announced they would add TPA in Feb.

GVIIO

Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:46 pm

Well without question with the amount of Intl service TPA has now is enough to justify a new terminal being that there are only 4 gates with customs. I believe the airport is drawing up the official plans right now but no start date has been mentioned. LH is still going to become mainline fairly soon. Aeromexico, Avianca and TAM are always in the conversation. TAM because on CEO Lopano's list of cities he vowed to get service to he has got every single one except Sao Paulo, he got SFO, SAN, SEA, PTY, FRA etc Lately they have had a lot of success with new domestic routes. However the airport as it has a lot of success the last 5 years is always working to land more intl service. Personally I would expect Aeromexico or Avianca eventually.

GVIIO

Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:50 pm

A friend of mine who is airport ops at PIE assured me they might be getting a long haul intl flight, I was rather skeptical on that nor would I guess who it could be. TPA getting Air Transat was interesting.

flymco753

Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:02 pm

Some airlines don't like to mimic markets tho because we have LATAM, AM and Avianca at MCO already, so I would say the next likely carrier could be Avianca, but they'd have to see if it'll do anything to their MCO service.
Whether you're here on business, returning home, or visiting our world class attractions, welcome to Orlando and Central Florida...

fsafsx

Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:07 pm

flymco753 wrote:
Some airlines don't like to mimic markets tho because we have LATAM, AM and Avianca at MCO already, so I would say the next likely carrier could be Avianca, but they'd have to see if it'll do anything to their MCO service.
Why are you so worried about Tampa stealing Orlando service?

Dominion301

Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:32 pm

GVIIO wrote:
A friend of mine who is airport ops at PIE assured me they might be getting a long haul intl flight, I was rather skeptical on that nor would I guess who it could be. TPA getting Air Transat was interesting.

Yeah interesting how TS are leaving PIE for TPA. WG still serve PIE.

FLYKTPA

Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:35 pm

flymco753 wrote:

While that's true, Copa, Lufthansa and Icelandair have all added TPA, even while serving MCO. Those airlines realized that adding TPA would complement their MCO service and provide more options to customers. Those carriers also realized that TPA has its own market that just wasn't being stimulated by nonstop international service. TPA is good at showing airlines the data needed to prove that new service can be supported. TPA doesn't waste time trying to attract flights that they don't wholeheartedly believe can be supported by the market.

GVIIO

Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:34 pm

Actually I agree If anything to some degree MCO being close to TPA could in some cases help TPA get more airlines too because if they do good at MCO they can add TPA to compliment the service to allow to offer cheaper flights to those on vacation in all of central FL ex they fly into MCO and fly out of TPA.

deltadudejg

Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:07 pm

Dominion301 wrote:
GVIIO wrote:

Yeah interesting how TS are leaving PIE for TPA. WG still serve PIE.

WG is the reason TS left PIE. Their competition pushed them across the bay.
Aviation Enthusiast working in Airport Operations

deltadudejg

Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:11 pm

As for little ole PIE. Nothing has been confirmed their is always the rumor mill going around. I have heard of Caribbean being thrown around. The given is Allegiant starting international out of PIE once the Customs is finished (Spring/Summer '18). If anyone has noticed G4's growth pattern whatever SFB gets we start within 12-18 months after. With PIE-IWA announced they are looking at longer routes. SFB has SJU which I wouldn't be surprised and G4 itching to start Canada/Caribbean/Mexico according to the internet and analyzing their charter flights.

FLYKTPA

Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:38 am

With the international terminal D starting construction around 2021 I think new European flights will have to wait till then. Airside F can only accommodate so many European flights in the late afternoon/evening. With BA, LH, WK and FI I feel like F might not be able to accommodate to much more in the evening. This will also give us some time to continue growing into the capacity we already have to Europe.
What I think TPA's international growth will look like over the next 4-6years until airside D is completed:
LH expands to daily service, at least seasonally.
FI eventually grows to 4x weekly service during the summer.
Edelweiss stays 2x weekly year round, 4x weekly during the summer.
Thomas Cook 2x weekly year round, 3x for summer.
That's about all I envision for Europe. I think we'll see our current carriers grow along with the addition of Thomas Cook. Norwegian is a possibility but I feel like there might be more attractive targets in the US besides TPA for new service(But I would love to be wrong about this). I think flights on carriers like KLM, Air France's Boost and Aer Lingus will have to wait until TPA has more international capacity too offer carriers. Two new routes I do see happening are Avianca to BOG and Aeromexico to MEX. I know TPA doesn't have enough O&D to make either work on their own, but these flights would be about the connections offered, not about the local market. With Brazil gaining momentum again and Copa's improved numbers out of TPA I wouldn't be surprised to see TPA-PTY be increased to daily service some time next year.

rajincajun01

Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:50 am

If PIE got a international long haul route, wouldn't it likely be Norwegian? G4 could add SJU. Domestically, hopefully G4 adds a DEN and LAS route.

What happened to Bahamasair coming back to TPA? It would be great to see AS add a second flight. Their load factor is something around 96% for SEA.

11725Flyer

Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:20 am

rajincajun01 wrote:
If PIE got a international long haul route, wouldn't it likely be Norwegian? G4 could add SJU. Domestically, hopefully G4 adds a DEN and LAS route.

What happened to Bahamasair coming back to TPA? It would be great to see AS add a second flight. Their load factor is something around 96% for SEA.

As you know, high LF doesn't equate to profitability. What's the source for your claim?

Dominion301

Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:21 am

deltadudejg wrote:
As for little ole PIE. Nothing has been confirmed their is always the rumor mill going around. I have heard of Caribbean being thrown around. The given is Allegiant starting international out of PIE once the Customs is finished (Spring/Summer '18). If anyone has noticed G4's growth pattern whatever SFB gets we start within 12-18 months after. With PIE-IWA announced they are looking at longer routes. SFB has SJU which I wouldn't be surprised and G4 itching to start Canada/Caribbean/Mexico according to the internet and analyzing their charter flights.

G4 could have started transborder ops a long time ago. With all their border towns, I'm not so sure they're in any hurry to come here.

deltadudejg

Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:29 am

That is what I am banking on is for Norwegian to come here. With them starting SWF/PVD, there was talks of them partnering up with ULCCs, ie Ryanair, Spirit, Frontier, Allegiant and Southwest.
Domestic routes LAS has been a top requested route since ATA went bankrupt. We were told that Allegiant isn't going to service that route until LAS has an all Airbus fleet. By the end of next month all of PIE's MD-80s should be gone, then our Airbus pilots will be able to do the PIE-IWA flight and once there do one or two more trips, and vice-versa for Phoenix crews. So that being said our MD-80s we were told are going to go to LAS from here and be based there until retirement. I heard more so Caribbean and Mexico being routes that had interest out of PIE, plus searching the webs uncovered some truth to it. Canada was a destination that the airline itself had announced months ago, interest in flying to. With IAG/OGS being two NY cities that serve as "Canadian" destinations I agree that I wouldn't put too much faith behind an actual international flight to Canada. Plus you figure with Canada having enough airlines to suffice any US market, and reading about their blocking of the ME3 airlines service to Canada, G4 to me would be a minor threat to their majors.

777PHX

Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:46 am

I don't see why Norweigian would fly to PIE. Norweigian flies to smaller airports with their 737s because those are smaller cities. Not because they think they're G4 and flying to secondary airports in large metro area is a good idea. There's no convincing reason to fly to PIE over TPA, so why would they try?

BTVB6Flyer
Topic Author

Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:46 am

TPA's Mayor is of Irish descent and I know locally DUB on AerLingus is a route that is being heavily pushed for and noted in the local media here.

I think MAN will come first then DUB if it were to come. No one was really expecting KEF, so can't rule DUB out really.

I would also say TPA compliments MCO. For one TPA is its own market, while it competes with MCO it's still a solid market on its own. Sure their catchment areas overlap and that benefits both MCO and TPA.

Avianca or AeroMexico IMO is bound to happen, at least one of them at some point. I would love to see Azul to Brazil, but seems the Brazilians specificailly flock to MCO and Disney.

As for PIE, I would love to see them diversify from G4, but I think G4 is also their future, and as P2P routes grow thinner, eventually G4 is going to have to go west and you see that with AZA flight and eventually LAS and so on. AirTransat moving to TPA, I don't think Sunwing had anything to do with that. Moving to TPA to compete with AC and WS over Sunning doesnt sound like a "lets get away from Sunwing" move, but more of a market move.

TPA's Airside D will help with INTL flights, F is getting full that's for sure.

Would love to see more Caribbean flights. VacationExpress is brining the PUJ flight back for 2018 so that mus have done well. MBJ, SDQ, SXM the like would be cool. Why I'm still surprised B6 hasn't added TPA-FLL to connect themselves to the Caribbean from TPA.

BTVB6Flyer
Topic Author

Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:54 am

11725Flyer wrote:
rajincajun01 wrote:

As you know, high LF doesn't equate to profitability. What's the source for your claim?

Numbers are pretty well known on Tampa Airport's website (http://www.tampaairport.com/sites/defau ... NDINGS.pdf), by simple math of dividing # of PAX by # of landings you get a # of PAX/per flight, using that number versus seats flown (via Flightaware and Seatguru) you get a LF%. This method works on said link on all single airline/single routes flown aka BA, WK, LH, CM, Cayman, AS.

rajincajun01

Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:36 am

11725Flyer wrote:
rajincajun01 wrote:

All you have to do is a little research...

"But the busiest carrier in April, Minner said, was Alaska Airlines (NYSE: ALK) with a 97.7 percent load factor, which refers to the number of people on a flight. "Alaska had very, very full flights," Minner said."

Source:
http://www.bizjournals.com/tampabay/new ... -jump.html

axiom

Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:50 am

Dominion301 wrote:
deltadudejg wrote:

G4 could have started transborder ops a long time ago. With all their border towns, I'm not so sure they're in any hurry to come here.

PIE is their third largest station in terms of traffic, and second in terms of destinations served. If they go international, they will do so from PIE too.

jbpdx

Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:37 am

rajincajun01 wrote:

All you have to do is a little research...

"But the busiest carrier in April, Minner said, was Alaska Airlines (NYSE: ALK) with a 97.7 percent load factor, which refers to the number of people on a flight. "Alaska had very, very full flights," Minner said."

Source:
http://www.bizjournals.com/tampabay/new ... -jump.html

Wow. I hope a lot of those passengers aren't having to connect to Portland on one of Alaska's 25 daily flights between SEA and PDX.

axiom

Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:49 am

^One would think there's surely enough traffic TPA-PDX to justify a daily. Would doubtless relieve pressure on the SEA route, and indeed PDX could probably absorb some of the connecting traffic handled over SEA today.

GVIIO

Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:08 pm

On a side note, would DL running TPA-SEA ever be a possibility?

FLYKTPA

Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:28 pm

GVIIO wrote:
On a side note, would DL running TPA-SEA ever be a possibility?

IMO that would be better for the market then AS going 2x daily. DL adding service would provide competition for AS and better stimulate the market. I see Alaska's next move in TPA either being service to SFO or PDX. I'm sure the airport is working hard on PDX now that it's their only domestic service target left with SAN being announced by WN.

rajincajun01

Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:37 pm

DL is probably considering SEA. AS did very well at RDU and DL just started their own service to SEA from there. The only issue may be constraints at SEA for continued growth.

AS has a restraint with their fleet growth at the moment, plus the VX merger. SAN and SFO were missed opportunities because of that.

UPS Pilot

Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:56 pm

Tampa is always going to be mid level airport. The city does not have the demand as Orlando and Miami. There is not much business' headquartered there. The sports teams are not very good so they don't draw out of town travelers to see games. The only amusement park is Busch Gardens which is right in the ghetto. The only thing that Tampa has going for it is it's the largest airport on the West Coast of Florida beaches. With is being an hour drive from Orlando, it will never have the presence that MCO or Miami has.

flyingcat

Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:17 pm

727LOVER wrote:

BTVB6Flyer wrote:
Amazon (PrimeAir) just started ABE and PHX routes today, as well.

From TPA?

Its makes sense since it can serve both warehouses in Ruskin and Lakeland and they are roughly equidistant from TPA. Otherwise PIE might have been better but why serve 2 airports for two warehouses when you can consolidate to 1.

avi8

Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:23 pm

UPS Pilot wrote:
Tampa is always going to be mid level airport. The city does not have the demand as Orlando and Miami. There is not much business' headquartered there. The sports teams are not very good so they don't draw out of town travelers to see games. The only amusement park is Busch Gardens which is right in the ghetto. The only thing that Tampa has going for it is it's the largest airport on the West Coast of Florida beaches. With is being an hour drive from Orlando, it will never have the presence that MCO or Miami has.

I wouldn't call 19 million passengers a year a "mid-level" airport. I mean, yes, MIA and MCO see 40+ million passengers a year. But like you said, they are at a different level. Considering that TPA has MCO right around the corner and still sustains the level of service it has is nothing to laugh at.
avi8

Medschool student

flyingcat

Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:29 pm

GVIIO wrote:

PIE may get a big boost if the caps on the Passenger Facility Charge come off. Smaller airports will be more attractive, as many major metro airports will undoubtedly move quickly to increase fees.

Of course it's just a proposed amendment and both parties are all over the place when it comes to FAA re authorization.

Flyingstump

Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:41 pm

UPS Pilot wrote:

Why, someone sure doesn't like Tampa! That's unfortunate, but if you were to do some simple research, you would find that the facts disagree with most of your statements.

Although Tampa won't be surpassing Orlando or Miami for tourism demand (and certainly not Miami for business), I don't think the Tampa Bay area's nor TPA's growth is contingent upon surpassing Orlando's travel demand. And implying that Miami hinders Tampa's ability to grow would be like saying New York City hinder's Boston's ability to grow. Tampa is 4 hours away from Miami; they're not remotely close to being the same market.

When it comes to business and economic output, Tampa Bay's GDP is larger than the Orlando MSA's GDP, and there are more Fortune 500 and 1000 companies headquartered in Tampa than than there are in Orlando. Also, the Tampa Bay area's population is roughly 25% larger than that of Orlando and growing at a faster pace. So to say TPA won't grow because it doesn't have the business demand is inaccurate and directly opposed to the reason flights were recently announced and started to SAN and SFO.

As for local sports teams, if you lived in Tampa, you would know that one of the problems that plague Tampa's sports franchises is the number of snowbirds and out-of-town sports fans that come to Tampa to see their team play for a much cheaper price in better weather. When it comes to local attractions, Tampa is not limited to building amusement parks; St Petersburg and Clearwater have some of the best beaches in the world, not just the United States, and if you drive 30 minutes north or south, you can be in state park with natural springs, wildlife, and outdoor activities. And, as a roller coaster and thrill ride enthusiast, Busch Gardens has Disney and Universal covered; they just don't have any special intellectual property (Mickey Mouse, Star Wars, movie themes, etc.)

So if TPA is already drawing 19 million passengers a year without being a focus city or hub for a major carrier, and the area is continuing to grow, why wouldn't you think TPA would ever be more than a mid-level airport? And what constitutes a mid-level airport? Baring another financial meltdown, I don't think there's any doubt that the Tampa Bay area will grow at a rapid pace (along with Florida as a whole), and at the very least, TPA will reflect the growth of the area. More likely, I think the leadership at TPA will continue to push for new or expanded service and lessen the leak of passengers to MCO. And, as many others have stated, Tampa and Orlando compliment each other; both markets and airports can continue to grow. This isn't an A vs B situation.

rajincajun01

Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:39 pm

flyingcat wrote:
GVIIO wrote:

PIE may get a big boost if the caps on the Passenger Facility Charge come off. Smaller airports will be more attractive, as many major metro airports will undoubtedly move quickly to increase fees.

Of course it's just a proposed amendment and both parties are all over the place when it comes to FAA re authorization.

PIE isn't really prepared for a big boost in terms of capacity. I think airport officials are under forecasting their growth in the coming 5-10 years. Would be awesome to see a legacy add a couple dailies (i.e. DL to ATL or AA to CLT). There could be enough North-South traffic to sustain it.

GVIIO

Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:27 pm

Wow no kidding, the user named UPS pilot really hates Tampa, funny thing is everything about that post was totally incorrect, and what does how good the sports teams have to do with possible growth of the airport?

deltadudejg

Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:11 pm

rajincajun01 wrote:
flyingcat wrote:
GVIIO wrote:

PIE isn't really prepared for a big boost in terms of capacity. I think airport officials are under forecasting their growth in the coming 5-10 years. Would be awesome to see a legacy add a couple dailies (i.e. DL to ATL or AA to CLT). There could be enough North-South traffic to sustain it.

There are two factors that are playing into PIE's growth. Allegiant gives the airport a growth percentage rate which if I remember from was something like 10% a year, they said to expect it to stay that way for another few years and to slowly start the lower that number in the next 5-10 years. With that in hand the airport has always had the plague where it banks on one airline to serve. In the past those airline's have failed (ie. Southeastern, ATA, USA 3000) and the airport has gone through slumps. Anyone in the area knows the history. So from those learning experiences the airport is playing its growth in a financially safe manner. All of the projects are mostly funded through grants meaning no debt. As it stands if G4 were to pull out tomorrow the airport could survive staffed as is for 2 years due to it's reserves. PIE is just playing it safe.

rajincajun01

Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:37 pm

deltadudejg wrote:
rajincajun01 wrote:
flyingcat wrote:

There are two factors that are playing into PIE's growth. Allegiant gives the airport a growth percentage rate which if I remember from was something like 10% a year, they said to expect it to stay that way for another few years and to slowly start the lower that number in the next 5-10 years. With that in hand the airport has always had the plague where it banks on one airline to serve. In the past those airline's have failed (ie. Southeastern, ATA, USA 3000) and the airport has gone through slumps. Anyone in the area knows the history. So from those learning experiences the airport is playing its growth in a financially safe manner. All of the projects are mostly funded through grants meaning no debt. As it stands if G4 were to pull out tomorrow the airport could survive staffed as is for 2 years due to it's reserves. PIE is just playing it safe.

I get playing it safe. I remember those days quite well. I even remember a proposed airline named FlyWho was going to start TATL flights from PIE. At what point though do you hurt yourself without enough opportunity to continue to grow? The whiny citizens around the airport don't help.

deltadudejg

Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:07 am

rajincajun01 wrote:
deltadudejg wrote:
rajincajun01 wrote:

I get playing it safe. I remember those days quite well. I even remember a proposed airline named FlyWho was going to start TATL flights from PIE. At what point though do you hurt yourself without enough opportunity to continue to grow? The whiny citizens around the airport don't help.

Oh I do remember FlyWho with the A310s. Overall there are projects being created for future terminal/airfield expansions. The entire landside parking lots are going to be redeveloped starting next month. It's a given that any construction takes time.

FLYKTPA

Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:34 pm

On Instagram a local plane spotter posted that while at the airport they met two TPA employees. Supposedly the two employees said that both Thomas Cook and Norwegian would soon announce service to TPA. Thomas Cook would send an A330 and Norwegian a 787-9. An official from Norwegian recently said new US routes would be announced soon. “New routes to the United States will be announced in a few weeks “, said on Wednesday Thomas Ramdahl, chief commercial officer of Norwegian.
https://forex-1.info/main/norwegian-bet ... -2018.html

BTVB6Flyer
Topic Author

Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:54 pm

Also have heard both Norwegian and Thomas Cook will be announced, heard it on a local fourm and have heard from another source as well.

A TPA Ops employee recently posted a photo on his personal Instagram (Username: undertow) of a Thomas Cook diversion that happened a month'ish ago and used a hashtag saying "comingsoontotpa".

FLYKTPA

Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:02 pm

BTVB6Flyer wrote:
Also have heard both Norwegian and Thomas Cook will be announced, heard it on a local fourm and have heard from another source as well.

A TPA Ops employee recently posted a photo on his personal Instagram (Username: undertow) of a Thomas Cook diversion that happened a month'ish ago and used a hashtag saying "comingsoontotpa".

Have you heard anything about what routes Norwegian might announce from TPA? I heard they might add a Paris flight.

axiom

Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:08 pm

All great news, but where are they going to park the planes? Even at two weekly frequencies each, I don't see where they can go without blocking two narrowbody gates when BA, LH, WK are around. Right now there's only one day -- Friday -- when all three are on the ground at the same time and they manage, but that really leaves TPA with limited options. FI will be joining the transatlantic evening mix too. Norwegian could slot in after BA leave, which is usually earlier, perhaps. Definitely going to put the squeeze on AA at some point.

axiom

Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:15 pm

From google maps, looks like gates 83, 87, 88, and 90 are striped for widebodies. 83W blocks 82, and 87W blocks 86. Not sure if 86, 88, 90 can handle widebodies simultaneously -- may be that only 2 of the 3 can. Assuming that's 3 widebody gates at one time, and each can only be used during one daily transatlantic push, that leaves the airport with 21 weekly spots. 15 are occupied by BA, LH, WK this week. That's a little bit of wiggle room for new entrants.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos