United Airline
Topic Author

Will Air NZ Inaugurate Its LHR-HKG-AKL Soon?

Mon Feb 04, 2002 6:19 pm

I heard that Air New Zealand is STILL interested in this route. AKL-HKG-LHR. I heard that they wanted to start this route and have obtained flight rights between HKG and LHR sometime last year. However, that route hasn't been started yet.

Will they start up this route anytime soon? If yes, when?

TG992

RE: Will Air NZ Inaugurate Its LHR-HKG-AKL Soon?

Mon Feb 04, 2002 6:37 pm

When we have

a/ the planes to spare
b/ the cabin to compete with CX and VS

-

ZK-NBT

Mon Feb 04, 2002 6:44 pm

So what do they need to do that other than award winning service. PTV's in economy. I thought the aircraft would just switch from AKL-LAX-LHR to AKL-HKG-LHR, or do they now need to replace SUH?.

Mon Feb 04, 2002 7:42 pm

Air NZ would need new First and Business Class product as well as PTV in Economy Class to compete with the likes of Cathay Pacific on AKL-HKG and HKG-LHR route as well as the likes to Virgin Atlantic and British Airways between HKG-LHR route.

At present, CX and BA (through codeshare with CX on AKL-HKG) offers a AKL-HKG-LHR product with good connecting times. Therefore, Air NZ would find it hard to compete with CX and BA products on this route as both BA and CX have sleeper seats in First and Business Class on HKG-LHR route.

From my sources at Air NZ, they are far from launching a new First and Business Class product. There were talks prior to Ansett Australia merger in 2000 that Air NZ would align its product with Ansett International to streamline the product offering of the two carriers but with the subsequent events of September 11 and the collapse of Ansett Australia, the launch of new product is far from disclosure. Air NZ needs to focus its efforts on its survival and then consider the upgrading of its product.

However, the Economy Class product of Air NZ is excellent in that it is only missing PTVs.

rmm

Mon Feb 04, 2002 8:01 pm

I don't think BA is any kind of threat "service wise" on this route.

Rmm