Istanbul Airport

Mon Aug 16, 1999 8:14 am

The last time I was in IST they were busily building a new terminal.

Does anyone know:-

What is this terminal intended for (dom/int)?
Is it now operational?
If not when?

Regards

Bill.

flyaa757

RE: Istanbul Airport

Mon Aug 16, 1999 8:18 am

When was this? I havent been to IST since about 94 or 95. Then, there wasnt much construction under way, but both the intl and domestic terminals were extremely strained.

Mon Aug 16, 1999 11:57 pm

The new terminal is opening December 1999. It will have a 7000 car park, and is at least 3 times the size of the existing one. I was there yesterday when I tool a DL IST-JFK flight. The current int. terminal will become domestic

flyaa757

Tue Aug 17, 1999 12:49 am

What will become of the current doemstic terminal? As far as I remember, there wasnt much worth savig it for.

Tue Aug 17, 1999 1:04 am

Even tough it is a small terminal, it has been upgraded, so looks a little better now! I think there is a possibility to use it as a charter terminal or simply destroy it. A new airport is also bound to open in the Asian side of the city (Kurtkoy Airport)....it was intended for additional domestic destinations along with some European routes....

RE: Istanbul Airport-There Last Week

Tue Aug 17, 1999 4:29 am

Last week I was at the Istanbul airport. I was in the Charter terminal, which was empty except for my charter flight (operated by ATA for Renaissance Cruises). This terminal wasn't very nice! We did see a new sparking terminal when we took the busses to our plane. (the charter terminal doesn't have jetways) We also saw the overloaded current terminal, with many Turkish Airlines planes, in addition to Delta 767 and MD-11, Singapore 777, JAL 747, among others. Someone that we were on the cruise with flew home commerically on Air France, and he said the terminal was complete mayhem. Turkish Airlines and the other airlines definetely need that new terminal!

Fly US Airways

PS: The Renaissance cruise was excellent. I highly recommend it. Can't say many good things about the ATA charter, though!