What Is The "Loss" Figure For Virgin Atlantic

Tue Feb 05, 2002 8:24 pm

We all have heard about the loss at British Airways and profit for Ryannair but what about the loss figure for Virgin Atlantic. Can someone shed some light on this airline as we sometimes forget about VS.

In a recent press conference by SQ Deputy Chairman and CEO, Dr Cheong expressed that SQ would have to carry the burden of Virgin's loss onto their balance sheet which will have a huge impact on SQ's financial figures for financial period ending 31st March 2002.

I am sure VS is operating at a loss at the moment and ever since and probably pre-September 2001 given 70 per cent of their business is trans-atlantic.

VgnAtl747

RE: What Is The "Loss" Figure For Virgin Atlantic

Tue Feb 05, 2002 9:38 pm

I haven't heard any numbers. Also remember that they stopped the Athens route. I would have thought that was a money maker for them too.

VgnAtl747
Creator.Moderator- VSFan
http://vsfan.uprootedtech.com
Work Hard. Fly Right. Continental Airlines

Ikarus

Tue Feb 05, 2002 10:06 pm

Virgin Atlantic is not a shareholder company, hence they can keep their financial status secret and do not need to disclose it publicly. Don't expect to hear any official or validated profit and loss accounts from them...

Yes, it's quite likely they're currently making losses. But my bet is that by the end of the year, they'll run reasonably stable again, with profits possibly already from next year onwards...

Of course, that is just speculation, like any other reply you're likely to get...

Regards

Ikarus

docpepz

Tue Feb 05, 2002 10:38 pm

Virgin may choose to keep it secret.

But SIA is a listed company. If they bear half the loss of virgin, won't it be reflected in their books? Won't their shareholders know? And thus won't we know the full extent of Virgin's lost?

Wed Feb 06, 2002 8:58 am

True, true...only time will tell what the loss at VS is when we hear from SQ in May 2002 about their own performance for the financial year ending 31st March 2002. Dr Cheong has indicated that they have to bear the pains from its investment in VS so things might are not looking too good for either SQ and VS.

padcrasher

Wed Feb 06, 2002 9:09 am

Why not join an alliance? Star, Wings, Skyteam, Oneworld?

This is the future of World aviation. Why the delay?

The longer they wait the more they will be left behind.

They're already gaining a reputation in the U.S for putting out rock bottom rates to lure traffic. What a sorry situation for an airline with good service.