greenjet

Dublin To Get Low Cost Terminal

Wed Feb 06, 2002 3:28 am

It's about time!

From the Irish Times -

Construction of the proposed Pier D at Dublin Airport will proceed immediately following a decision by the Government this afternoon.

The Government said it took into account a report by Professor Rigas Doganis into Irish tourism and aviation issues in coming to the decision.

The new terminal will meet "the specific needs of all carriers operating at the lower fares end of the market", according to the Government.

The office of the Minister for Public Enterprise, Mrs O’Rourke, will monitor the project to ensure "Aer Rianta provide the facility at the lowest possible cost and have the facility available for the 2003 season." An offer by Ryanair to operate the facility has been rejected by the Government.

shamrock104

RE: Dublin To Get Low Cost Terminal

Wed Feb 06, 2002 4:23 am

Okay, we now must prepare ourselves for the moans of Ryanair and O'Leary about the fact that the terminal will be run still by Aer Rianta. I think the low-cost pier should be run independently, personally I wouldn't let Aer Rianta manage a dog-kennel, but that's just the way it's going to be i suppose. let's hope it brings new routes and airlines into Dublin.

greenjet

Wed Feb 06, 2002 4:28 am

I would be nice to see easyJet come along and give Aer Lingus a run for their money on the AMS route and also serve GVA. I'm sure Mr. Teahan would like to see GVA flights also. However, whether or not easyJet will come to Ireland remains to be seen.

Wed Feb 06, 2002 4:33 am

Sounds like it can only be good news!

Prof.Rigas is the author of one of my books "The Airline Business in the 21st Century"-excellent reading for 'beginners'!

Regards

kaitak

Wed Feb 06, 2002 6:16 am

Is this a terminal or pier? My understanding was that it was going to be a Pier D, stretching out past the old 1940s terminal to the remote parking area.

Is there any link to a design for it? Does it have airbridges? How many acft can it handle at once and will it be a cheaper version of Pier C, with only basic facilities?

Also, I have a feeling something like this would not go ahead unless there was a particularly strong "understanding" with a low cost carrier to begin operations there; that may be FR or, better still, EZY. Or you may be surprised to know it might be a new, low cost Aer Lingus . . .