Potential For Lagos-Houston Flight?

Thu Feb 07, 2002 8:39 am

Having heard that a lot of premium passengers on BAs flight to Lagos transfer and fly to Houston got me thinking.Would a nonstop Lagos-Houston flight be profitable?Even with the Enron drama I'm sure there are sill lots of people flying this route.

RE: Potential For Lagos-Houston Flight?

Thu Feb 07, 2002 8:54 am

Hi Donder,
I am from Houston and lived in Lagos for 7 years transiting between there and Texas, and I can tell you that there is great potential. With the 6 European airlines that fly to Lagos, I can back that there are 250 to 300 people daily traveling to Texas, Houston and Dallas especially. However, a few years ago and now even, security and political and civil unrest have caused any plans for flights to be delayed. One other note is that Enron was not involved in Lagos. ExxonMobil, ChevronTexaco, Halliburton, Shell, Amoco, and many other service companies had big operations in Lagos. If you notice, many of those are either based in Houston, or have big ties to the Houston market. Plus, most of the people traveling are either business or first class travellers, because of the normal company rule of 6 hours or more flight business class, 9 hours or more first. I think a Continental flight from Houston to Lagos, Dallas to Houston to Lagos, or Houston to Lagos to Port Harcourt would do very well.
Quick Note*The SAA flight is doing very well.
If you have any questions, I can answer most about Lagos or Africa in general. Hope this helps and hope it happens witha CO777-200.