A330DAT
Topic Author

DAT Of Belgium To Start Long Haul Flights

Thu Feb 07, 2002 9:13 am

Belgian airline DAT has begun negotiations to "wet lease" aircraft to fly to Africa. Seven companies are in the running for the contract. Johan Vanneste of DAT said thay are in the final stages of making the deal. The aircraft will be leased from it’s chosen partner. DAT would supply the pilots, cabin crew and maintenance. According to Rob Kuijpers (CEO of DAT) it’s a way of starting long haul with little expenses.

The aircraft would fly daily to several African destinations. Kinshasa (Congo), Kigali (Rwanda), Entebbe (Uganda) and Nairobi (Kenya) would be the first. Willy Buyse, fleet manager at DAT hopes to make a final announcement by the end of the week.

British Midland ( BMI ) and the new Thomas Cook (who will start charter flights to Dakar, Senegal and Banjul, Gambia) are said not to have any plans to take part. Freddy Van Gaever of VG Airlines, on the other hand, is mentioned as a prime candidate.

Staffan

RE: DAT Of Belgium To Start Long Haul Flights

Thu Feb 07, 2002 10:03 am

Anyone know what a/c types will it be?

A330DAT
Topic Author

Thu Feb 07, 2002 6:38 pm

It is likely to be the A330 or A340 since that is what Sabena was using, but using other aircraft is not excluded (767, MD-11?) all options are being evaluated.

apuneger

Thu Feb 07, 2002 7:17 pm

I'd prefer the767, but yep indeed, I think they are going for some 330's...

Ivan
Ivan Coninx - Brussels Aviation Photography

Thu Feb 07, 2002 9:09 pm

I thought that Rob Kuijpers had already announced they were using wet leased Australian 767s?

Also, if they are going to take on the VG A330s then I assume that Van Gaever has dropped his plans for an independent airline?

SN-A330

Fri Feb 08, 2002 12:07 am

DAT would supply the pilots, cabin crew and maintenance

According to 'De Standaard', DAT would NOT supply pilots and maintenance, only the cabin crew, catering and commercial services.

You can find the article on http://www.destandaard.be/nieuws/economie/index.asp?articleID=DST07022002_083&Doctype=detail.asp
(sorry, only in Dutch)

Beste regards, SN-A330
I would rather be flying...

pressclub

Fri Feb 08, 2002 1:28 am

Two shareholders confirmed yesterday that most likely it will be a wetlease operation from BMI.

Can anyone give me some info on the legal aspects of this operation.Is it possible to fly with a not in Belgium registered lh aircraft to Africa????

Sabena 690

Fri Feb 08, 2002 3:09 am

Hey A330DAT - replyers,

I heard that and Aer Lingus and British Midland Airlines don't have plans for the flights from Brussels to Africa and that the only possibility is Van Gaever Airlines then!!

Regards,
Frederic

dutchjet

Fri Feb 08, 2002 3:15 am

VG Airlines has not even flown its first flight, is still working out details of its aircraft leases and required documentation and business plan, and they are now proposing to operate flights on the behalf of other airlines? They also announced a cargo subsidiary this week.

As a frequent traveller out of BRU, I truly hope that another long-haul operator sets up an operation at BRU, and was hoping that VG would be a success, but I am concerned. Shouldn't VG be focused on getting its first flight into the air before it gets involved with all of these other ventures?

afay1

Fri Feb 08, 2002 3:53 am

I was being facetious (sp?), by the way. If I had to speculate I would guess A330's and A340's as that is what the cabin crew training is on.

Flying Belgian

Fri Feb 08, 2002 6:13 am

The most favoured solution is the wet-lease of BMI A330 or Aer Lingus. VG is not even considered as it doesn't exist... DAT would supply flight attendants ONLY.

BTW, Globe Ground part of the the Lufthansa group is tipped to take over all ex-Sabena's ground operations in BRU including the catering (via LSG Sky Chief).

Hope this helps !!

FB.
Life is great at 41.000 feet...

Fri Feb 08, 2002 6:05 pm

Confirmation about the possible lease of an A330 from bmi to DAT comes from today's ATWOnline. The aircraft that would be used is the one that was returned early from SAS.

Bmi, DAT discuss lease deal for grounded aircraft
Dateline: Friday February 08, 2002

Bmi british midland told ATWOnline it is negotiating with DAT to lease out some of the aircraft it grounded while shedding capacity following Sept. 11.

DAT flies to about 20 European destinations but has said it would consider operating some African routes formerly served by defunct Sabena once costs are under control. Sources close to Brussels Airport said DAT is looking to start flights to Entebbe, Kinshasa and Kigali. DAT would opt for a wet-lease arrangement initially to cut its startup investment.

"We are talking to DAT and to other airlines to lease out some of the eight aircraft we parked for the winter," a bmi spokesperson said, although she emphasised that there "is nothing to confirm yet." She acknowledged that a wet-lease agreement for flights to Africa is part of the negotiations, but cautioned that "it all depends what's on the table." Bmi initially parked A320s, A321s and 737s but some of those aircraft will be used for its low-fare carrier bmibaby, which is slated to start operations next month.