gr8slvrflt

AirTran's Been Very Busy....

Fri Feb 08, 2002 5:11 am

So far this week AirTran has announced the following service additions: ATL-MSP, a 4th daily nonstop; ATL-PNS, a 4th daily nonstop; CAK-MCO, daily nonstop (up from once a week); ROC-MCO, nonstop. This is in addition to the previously announced LGA-PHF-MCO routes and many increases out of BWI. Also, the 31st 717 was just delivered. What's next?

Big thumbs up
I work for Southwest, but the views expressed are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Southwest.

dutchjet

RE: AirTran's Been Very Busy....

Fri Feb 08, 2002 5:16 am

I agree, Airtran seems serious about filling niches in the market that other airlines seem to ignore; more nonstop service into Orlando is needed from "smaller" cities, there is demand from both leisure and business travellers.

AirTran is supposed to increase service out of BWI, add more destinations in the Bahamas out of ATL, and connect some cities it currently serves with destinations in Florida, according to rumors.

Do you think that they will take the ex-TWA 717s that AA no longer wants?

717fan

Fri Feb 08, 2002 5:23 am

ex-TWA 717's: very possible according to Airtran.

DCA-ROCguy

Fri Feb 08, 2002 5:30 am

AirTran is positioning itself for the bankruptcy of US Airways, which will probably happen in less than two years. THey're carefully choosing routes that don't involve direct competition with Southwest (except for BWI-Florida, where the sheer volume of traffic will support both carriers esp now that Metrojet is gone).

I'd look for a continued strong buildup at BWI, which has plenty of routes (like ROC) that WN doesn't fly. ALso, watch for more pullback at PHL which the dying US Airways will defend to the death.

AirTran's website doesn't say anything about an ROC-MCO nonstop; are you sure you aren't thinking of the CAK-MCO daily that was announced today?

Jim
Need a new airline paint scheme? Better call Saul! (Bass that is)

gr8slvrflt

Fri Feb 08, 2002 5:32 am

ROC-MCO was just announced this afternoon. It's on the website now under press releases.
I work for Southwest, but the views expressed are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Southwest.

usairways85

Fri Feb 08, 2002 8:08 am

do you think airtran will continue to drop flights out of philly and then if and when usairways goes bankrupt airtran would jump back in philly and pick up multiple routes?

Fri Feb 08, 2002 8:20 am

The only route I see FL dropping out of PHL is PHL-PIT. It is one of their worst performers and the traffic just isn't there. The Florida flights are profitable from what I heard.

usairways85

Fri Feb 08, 2002 8:23 am

yes i agree, most of the flights out of phl to florida are profitable, but what about phl-atl. how is that doing, will they decrease the number of flights?