bells

Premium Economy, Why Not The Whole Plane?

Fri Feb 08, 2002 3:23 pm

Quite a few airlines are now offering a kind of "premium economy" which is better than economy but not as good as business class.

Given the fact that many companies are cutting back on business travel and many economy passengers complain about cramped conditions on long flights, what do you think about the chances for an airline flying with an all-premium economy layout, ie single-class but better than normal economy?

Do you think that an airline that did this would be able to fly profitably in certain markets?

UALPHLCS

RE: Premium Economy, Why Not The Whole Plane?

Fri Feb 08, 2002 3:26 pm

What you don't like UA's Economy Minus  Laugh out loud
A little less Hooah, and a little more Dooah.

2cn

Fri Feb 08, 2002 4:26 pm

AA already does this... its called MRTC(More Room Throughout Coach)

bells

Fri Feb 08, 2002 4:33 pm

Actually I mean why not have premium economy throughout the WHOLE plane. That means no business or first class or economy, only premium economy.

That is what my original question was.

Thanks,

Bells

keesje

Fri Feb 08, 2002 6:26 pm

I think as long as there is a substantial segment that wants to pay for business class, airlines won't delete it.

Business travellers want rest, you can't offer that putting them between John, Joan and the children..

cheers

keesje
"Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway

Braniff Place

Fri Feb 08, 2002 7:59 pm

I fly premium tourist class/BR Evergreen Deluxe whenever I can, but i believe fitting the whole plane with these nicer seats would defeat that feeling of being a premium or a more special passenger that these full fare paying passengers want included in the price they paid. Here are some pics of the magnificient BR Deluxe Class on Eva Air:

The only airlines that i know of that have done the FULL premium tourist plane config are Midwest Express Southern Airlines Legend Airlines and ??Pro Air??

-BN

UK_Dispatcher

Fri Feb 08, 2002 8:07 pm

It didn't do Legend any favours, did it?
AA soon saw to that!