dabpit

Re: PIT Update Discussion Thread Part 34

Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:42 pm

phllax wrote:
So will they go to the open gates on D to help get more activity there or the gates on A to bridge the gap between UA and AC?

They will more than likely use the gates at the end of D.

GSP psgr wrote:
I've always thought that WN entering PIT-PHL or PIT-EWR would be a sign that WN's was starting to get serious about the PIT market. So far, they've mostly just added markets that are focus cities for them (BNA, LAX, STL) or are Florida (PBI). MSY was something of an interesting departure from their norms in that regard.

WN is starting to disappoint on not adding PHL/EWR(LGA)/BOS(PVD).

I hope NK is successful and grows PIT. Overall I think the ULCCs are finally finding PIT to be the place to go with G4 growing and adding a base, F9 starting flights but seems they aren't going to do to much, WOWair adding year round flights to KEF, and now NK announcing service to 7 cities.
Carpe Diem

fmi1

Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:32 pm

GSP psgr wrote:
PIT loses 4 RTs in the latest schedule update, all to Florida markets; PIT-RSW is dropped in August (seasonally?) and PIT-MCO/FLL/TPA all see 1 less RT.

Is this a seasonal cut? Will the flights come back for the winter months? We have adequate service to MCO, but I hate to see the decrease in frequency to FLL and TPA.

dabpit

Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:47 pm

fmi1 wrote:
Is this a seasonal cut? Will the flights come back for the winter months? We have adequate service to MCO, but I hate to see the decrease in frequency to FLL and TPA.

If the new NK flights do well hopefully they will increase FLL and add TPA. There is also a strong possibility of NK launching BWI, SFO, MSY, and a seasonal ACY.
Carpe Diem

flyPIT

Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:57 am

Qatar Airways posted another job opening in Pittsburgh for a Cargo Sales & Services Executive position:
http://careers.qatarairways.com/qatarairways/VacancyDetail.aspx?VacancyID=122538
FLYi

phluser

Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:18 am

dabpit wrote:
There is also a strong possibility of NK launching BWI, SFO, MSY, and a seasonal ACY.

I'd be pretty surprised if NK added PIT-BWI. It's about $20 in toll from Cranberry to I-70 on the PA Turnpike. That's the painful part, but once on I-70, it's generally a not so bad of a drive. It was interesting observation recently that I-70 does have elevation ups and downs, and when a tractor trailer struggles with the incline, it can delay a whole bunch of cars behind it. It's still much better driving PIT to WAS, than driving PIT to NJ.

All in, PIT-BWI can be done in 4 hours or a little more including a stop. One way car rentals can also be found for $75 or less. I don't know if NK can compete with the drive as it would be too short. I'd love to see PIT-PHL/ACY/EWR with any one of the latter, as the drive is longer and more painful, but it seems like Florida service from any Northeast NK market is always top priority.

NK also doesn't service SFO, but uses OAK. I'd think WN might have a better shot of a PIT-OAK than NK. WN services CMH-OAK which is slightly shorter. If WN augments it's PIT size, maybe with 3x daily PIT-PHL, perhaps it would have some connections with a PIT-OAK 1x daily, further bolstering the focus city. It was not too long ago that I did BWI-CMH-OAK. I'm sure most connections are past OAK but having some east of say PIT would help as well.

BobPatterson

Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:28 am

phluser wrote:
dabpit wrote:
There is also a strong possibility of NK launching BWI, SFO, MSY, and a seasonal ACY.

I'd be pretty surprised if NK added PIT-BWI. It's about $20 in toll from Cranberry to I-70 on the PA Turnpike. That's the painful part, but once on I-70, it's generally a not so bad of a drive.

There's a painful part on I-70 going downhill from Breezewood to the Maryland line. That's when you let your speed get up to about 80 mph and a PA State Trooper is sitting in the median smiling at the look of shock on your face as you whiz by. :-)

$130 when it happened to me about 10 years ago. I dread to think how much that costs today.
Facts are fragile things. Treat them with care. Sources are important. Alternative facts do not exist.

GSP psgr

Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:35 am

VX/AS announced a bunch of new routes out of the Bay Area, including a few that are PIT sized: SFO-IND/MSY/BNA. Is PIT the West Coast legacy leper colony or something? It can't entirely be terminal costs; IND itself has a new, shiny expensive terminal for example. Not to say that WN and NK to LAX aren't nice, but no legacy carrier to LAX, nobody at all to SEA, and spotty UA service to SFO speaks for itself.

Not being able to keep up with the RDUs and AUSs is one thing; those are hugely dynamic and booming economies. Not being able to keep up with the likes of IND, CVG, CMH, and CLE....is another (embarrassing) thing.

dabpit

Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:54 pm

GSP psgr wrote:
VX/AS announced a bunch of new routes out of the Bay Area, including a few that are PIT sized: SFO-IND/MSY/BNA. Is PIT the West Coast legacy leper colony or something? It can't entirely be terminal costs; IND itself has a new, shiny expensive terminal for example. Not to say that WN and NK to LAX aren't nice, but no legacy carrier to LAX, nobody at all to SEA, and spotty UA service to SFO speaks for itself.

Not being able to keep up with the RDUs and AUSs is one thing; those are hugely dynamic and booming economies. Not being able to keep up with the likes of IND, CVG, CMH, and CLE....is another (embarrassing) thing.

You are absolutely right, I am surprised that PIT hasn't gotten any service from AS/VX in this latest round of announcements. I think AS/VX would be good for PIT-SEA/PDX/SFO/LAX/SAN.
Carpe Diem

JohnPgh

Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:15 pm

dabpit wrote:
GSP psgr wrote:

You are absolutely right, I am surprised that PIT hasn't gotten any service from AS/VX in this latest round of announcements. I think AS/VX would be good for PIT-SEA/PDX/SFO/LAX/SAN.

Do you think they are spending enough time trying to recruit this domestic service? It seems like they put a lot of effort into the European flights, which is good, but what about the under or non-served cities here? And while OneJet is great with what they are doing for business traffic, the average Joe isn't going to pay $500-$700 to fly to Hartford, Indy and Cincinnati and the like. That's only for people with generous expense accounts and companies that don't care how much you spend on tickets. I definitely agree that any new service is great for us......I just wish more could be done to get us affordable service to more cities here.

flyPIT

Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:01 pm

A couple videos from the State of the Airport Address worth watching for those interested:
http://www.flypittsburgh.com/stateoftheairport

GSP psgr wrote:

As impressive as that round of expansion was from the Bay Area I believe it all was new service to existing AS/VX markets, so not seeing PIT added in that round is not a surprise. I'm actually encouraged that IND, BNA, RDU, and perhaps some of the other newer AS destinations now have service to more than just SEA, so when they do enter PIT (only a matter of time) I expect the same, namely SEA and SFO.

JohnPgh wrote:
Do you think they are spending enough time trying to recruit this domestic service? It seems like they put a lot of effort into the European flights, which is good, but what about the under or non-served cities here? And while OneJet is great with what they are doing for business traffic, the average Joe isn't going to pay $500-$700 to fly to Hartford, Indy and Cincinnati and the like. That's only for people with generous expense accounts and companies that don't care how much you spend on tickets. I definitely agree that any new service is great for us......I just wish more could be done to get us affordable service to more cities here.

OneJet is a very niche carrier, and $500-$700 isn't cheap but that was the norm when we were a fortress hub. I would love it if OneJet and Ultimate Air Shuttle could combine business plans. Specifically use OneJet's model of using main airports and airline terminals but use larger planes like the Do328 and bring fares down a bit to have greater appeal to the traveling public.

As far as spending enough time trying to recruit domestic service, make no mistake Ms. Cassotis and her team are working overdrive to address the lack of service to SEA and the Bay Area.
FLYi

GSP psgr

Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:02 pm

JohnPgh wrote:

OneJet is a very niche carrier, and $500-$700 isn't cheap but that was the norm when we were a fortress hub. I would love it if OneJet and Ultimate Air Shuttle could combine business plans. Specifically use OneJet's model of using main airports and airline terminals but use larger planes like the Do328 and bring fares down a bit to have greater appeal to the traveling public.

As far as spending enough time trying to recruit domestic service, make no mistake Ms. Cassotis and her team are working overdrive to address the lack of service to SEA and the Bay Area.[/quote]
----------------------------------------
The model I think might be a better fit is the GLO model that operates out of MSY and uses Saab 340s. That aircraft would be a reasonable fit for PIT-ALB/RIC/CVG/IND/BDL/SDF, though it wouldn't much work for MKE.

cvgComair

Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:42 pm

Note, "UE" is Ultimate Air Shuttle's IATA code, most have probably not seen it before:

PIT needs to actively pursue DL or UE for a PIT-CVG/LUK flight. As nice as it is to see OneJet expanding, their planes are too small and their prices are too expensive for most travelers. It was not long ago that DL operated 3x/day on PIT-CVG and its not a very drivable route for short trips. Connecting in DTW/ATL is also a pain for such a short route. Ultimate Air Shuttle is operating 2x/day, 30 seat flights between LUK-BKL, and DL dropped that route quite a while ago. I would think CVG-PIT could sustain even more than that since DL operated the route more recently. I would think UE would be great for a LUK-PIT route, however, they need to get more ERJ-135's before that will happen. DL is a logical fit as well and they have been taking some CRJ-200's out of retirement recently, however I bet a CRJ-700 could work as well. I know CVG has been pursuing DL, but leverage on both sides would help significantly. I worry that the OneJet service has pushed aside the efforts of both airports trying to get better service between Cincinnati and Pittsburgh.

As far as UE and their use of smaller airports, MMU is a frustrating airport that is way too far from New York (plans to use TEB will help this), but BKL and MDW are much more convenient compared to the other options. They operate into CLT, so they are not avoiding larger airports completely. LUK is a nice airport to use for Cincinnati, depending on where you are going, its normally closer. LUK is almost maxed out on parking, so UE is going to run into some problems, so I think a move back to CVG is inevitable in the next few years.
Next: CVG-BOS-CVG, Delta Air Lines
A319/320/332/333, B1900D, B712/722/732/733/738/739/752/753/763/764/772/773/788, CRJ-100/2/7/9, DC-9, ERJ-135/40/45/75, MD-88/90, S340

flyPIT

Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:37 am

Speaking of OneJet, in one of the videos I linked earlier today the OneJet representative stated they hope to serve 20 mid-sized markets from PIT (up from 7 today). That will be quite the operation at 2x daily. Again, too bad its not with Do328s or SF340s.
FLYi

acentauri

Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:40 am

flyPIT wrote:
Qatar Airways posted another job opening in Pittsburgh for a Cargo Sales & Services Executive position:
http://careers.qatarairways.com/qatarairways/VacancyDetail.aspx?VacancyID=122538

"You must have an excellent command of written and spoken English, and currently be legally eligible to live and work in France."

dabpit

Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:30 pm

JohnPgh wrote:

No, I do not think they are spending enough time recruiting domestic service. They worked hard for years to get G4 but now it seems they are happy with what they have and aren't pushing to get more service to undeserved cities. The airport authority is quick to say they have service to MKE or IND which is only part true as it is service with a niche carrier catering to the business market and not the majority of the PIT market. On the flip side you have an airline that started with EAS routes and is now flying non EAS routes.
Here is my list of airports (no particular order) with potential airlines I think the airport needs to put focus on:
*CVG - F9
*BDL - WN
*IND - WN
*SDF - WN
*MKE - WN
*MCI - WN
*SFO/OAK - AS or F9/WN or NK
*SAN - AS or WN
*SEA - AS or WN
*PDX - AS or WN
*SLC - DL
Carpe Diem

GSP psgr

Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:01 pm

What's the current line of thinking as to the ultimate fate of the Airbus heavy maintenance facility at PIT? Does it get sucked down to TUL or CLT or does it stay? While I'm sure AA'd prefer to move it, they do at least need some ongoing good will from the state of Pennsylvania for anything they need at PHL, and I wonder just how much they'd gain in synergies anyways.

dabpit

Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:07 pm

GSP psgr wrote:
What's the current line of thinking as to the ultimate fate of the Airbus heavy maintenance facility at PIT? Does it get sucked down to TUL or CLT or does it stay? While I'm sure AA'd prefer to move it, they do at least need some ongoing good will from the state of Pennsylvania for anything they need at PHL, and I wonder just how much they'd gain in synergies anyways.

IMHO they will more than likely move it and out of TUL or CLT I will guess CLT. AA management seems determined to shrink PIT to just hub flying and remove any shops (such as the maintenance facility).
Carpe Diem

GSP psgr

Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:19 pm

dabpit wrote:
IMHO they will more than likely move it and out of TUL or CLT I will guess CLT. AA management seems determined to shrink PIT to just hub flying and remove any shops (such as the maintenance facility).

I wonder what the "too good to walk away from" package from Allegheny County and the State of Pennsylvania would look like. I'm leery of such a thing after having US Airways walk away from Midfield as well as IND's experiences with United. On the other hand, it would be an enormous score if PIT were to become the maintenance base for the combined AA's narrowbody Airbus fleet. In such a scenario, TUL=Anything with Boeing on it, CLT=Airbus Widebody Maintenance, PIT=A320 family maintenance.

dabpit

Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:52 pm

GSP psgr wrote:
On the other hand, it would be an enormous score if PIT were to become the maintenance base for the combined AA's narrowbody Airbus fleet. In such a scenario, TUL=Anything with Boeing on it, CLT=Airbus Widebody Maintenance, PIT=A320 family maintenance.

Although that would be nice, I just can't see PIT getting to keep the maintenance facility.
Carpe Diem

pgh234

Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:27 am

It is my understanding that most of the real engineering and heavy check folks moved to CLT or DFW in the past year or two. AA did also renew their lease in the past two/three years....but it was mainly political and at a cheap price. I believe that only quick overnight maintenance is done at the moment. A skeleton of its former self.

GSP psgr

Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:17 am

pgh234 wrote:
It is my understanding that most of the real engineering and heavy check folks moved to CLT or DFW in the past year or two. AA did also renew their lease in the past two/three years....but it was mainly political and at a cheap price. I believe that only quick overnight maintenance is done at the moment. A skeleton of its former self.

Just like everything else.....

pitbosflyer

Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:29 pm

So does anyone know if we weathered today's WN schedule release without any cuts at PIT?

flyPIT

Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:14 am

Looks like PIT-MSY got extended again; IIRC this was supposed to be seasonal for only a couple months so this is good news.

"Trump budget proposal could ground some flights from PIT"
http://www.bizjournals.com/pittsburgh/news/2017/03/16/trump-budget-proposal-could-ground-some-flights.html
FLYi

Lemieux

Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:00 pm

pitbosflyer wrote:
So does anyone know if we weathered today's WN schedule release without any cuts at PIT?

Haven't seen anything regarding it, and I know this isn't a reliable source whatsoever but PIT's wikipedia page doesn't have any cuts listed, so I believe we're safe.
Full time internet idiot. A319/20/21/332/333, Boeing 733/734/738/752/753/762/763/77W, CR2/7/9, de Havilland DHC-8, Embraer 140/145/175/190, MD82/88.

flyPIT

Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:06 pm

Feb stats are out. Growth slowed but still up 1.7%
http://www.flypittsburgh.com/getattachment/Newsroom/Airport-Statistics/February-2017-Short-E-Mail-Report.pdf.aspx?lang=en-US

Looks like Vacation Express flights to FPO are off the table, but that's from all gateways not just PIT.
FLYi

flyPIT

Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:25 am

"County Executive Rich Fitzgerald was expected to leave this morning on a five-day trip to China along with Christina Cassotis, the airport authority chief executive officer, and other county officials on a mission to explore tourism and educational opportunities.

County spokeswoman Amie Downs said Mr. Fitzgerald and the others will meet with airlines and tour operators with the goal of building eventual airline service between China and the Pittsburgh region."

http://www.post-gazette.com/local/city/2017/03/28/Rich-Fitzgerald-Christina-Cassotis-China-pittsburgh-airport/stories/201703280200
FLYi

Cush

Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:08 pm

I can't believe I am the first one to post this, but PIT is landing flights to China!!!!!! http://triblive.com/local/allegheny/121 ... ernational
Fly me to the moon let me play among the stars.

dabpit

Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:21 pm

Cush wrote:
I can't believe I am the first one to post this, but PIT is landing flights to China!!!!!! http://triblive.com/local/allegheny/121 ... ernational

Charter flights...this will be interesting to watch.
Carpe Diem

Lemieux

Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:22 pm

Cush wrote:

I'm quite surprised, thought that Fitzgerald's trip was just a publicity stunt, incredibly happy to hear this! Any idea what equipment they'd use? Gotta be an 87 right?
Full time internet idiot. A319/20/21/332/333, Boeing 733/734/738/752/753/762/763/77W, CR2/7/9, de Havilland DHC-8, Embraer 140/145/175/190, MD82/88.

Cush

Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:29 pm

Which company do you think will provide the charter flights? Are we talking a Chinese carrier or someone else?

I thought the same thing as you Lemieux about the trip to China. I remember in the past administrations that business class trips to all these meetings were nothing more than an excuse to travel, but the new ACAA administration actually makes use of these meetings and provides results! Way to go!

Jshank83

Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:39 pm

So it sounds like this really will only be for people from China. People in PIT won't be able to book flights on it, except for possibly flights on the China-Pit one way route?

flyPIT

Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:52 pm

"As part of the agreement, Pittsburgh will be the arriving and departing gateway for hundreds of Chinese tourists who are visiting the East Coast. "
This should be very successful for a tour group operation as PIT is within a half day to one day bus journey from Washington, Philly, NYC, Toronto, Chicago, etc. PIT is simply the gateway airport in a central location, depending on how extensive the tours will be.

"the current agreement is of a multiyear nature. In addition, plans could include flights next summer to China."
http://www.timesonline.com/news/business/chinese-tourism-company-to-start-nonstop-service-to-pittsburgh-international/article_62781d76-1629-11e7-b806-4757cbd8c4a7.html

About Caissa Touristic:

Looks like they are affiliated with the NHA Group, which has a stake in Hainan Airlines.
http://www.hnagroup.com/en/business/hna-airlines/aviation-introduction/

http://en.hnacaissa.com/about/profile.html
FLYi

AaronPGH

Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:18 am

Woah! Surprising long term strategy. Start with charters, make them work, keep expanding until regularly scheduled flights?

flyPIT

Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:35 am

AaronPGH wrote:
Woah! Surprising long term strategy. Start with charters, make them work, keep expanding until regularly scheduled flights?

To add to this, of all the Chinese carriers Hainan Airlines is perhaps the most aggressive in terms of adding new routes to less than traditional markets. Going after this specific travel group is a very targeted move by the ACAA, just like going after Qatar Airways Cargo is from the ME3.

"House OKs tablet gambling for those flying out of Arnold Palmer, Pittsburgh International"
http://triblive.com/local/westmoreland/12157015-74/house-oks-tablet-gambling-for-those-flying-out-of-arnold-palmer-pittsburgh

"Flights from PIT to Cuba on hold"
http://www.bizjournals.com/pittsburgh/news/2017/04/04/flights-from-pitt-to-cuba-on-hold.html

A few more bits of information about the China flights:
-Flights may originate from several Chinese cities
-It will be a 3 year contract
-Regularly scheduled flight would be 7-10 years away
http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2017/03/31/non-stop-charter-air-service-from-china-to-pittsburgh/

http://triblive.com/local/allegheny/12141743-74/charter-flights-to-launch-from-china-to-pittsburgh-international

"Southern Airways Moves Back Timeline to Begin Flights at Arnold Palmer Regional "
http://www.aviationpros.com/news/123208 ... r-regional

Too bad about the Cuba flights. The gambling should make PIT more attractive as a gateway airport for just the type of charters they announced from China.
FLYi

Lemieux

Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:08 pm

I still think that PIT should be more focused on expanding domestically rather than expanding into niche markets like Cuba for example. It may just be that I'm 20 and naive, but I just don't understand.

Cush

Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:29 pm

I wouldn't sweat about the loss of a flight to Cuba. It was a long shot anyway that wasn't going to materialize. If service is being reduced from high traffic areas like Florida, what chance did PIT really have anyway? I think the strategy of focusing abroad rather than domestically is the right call. International flights provide feed, and that feed can justify domestic routes for connectivity. PIT doesn't have the O&D numbers for some flights, but add in some connecting pax and the numbers will be there.

flyPIT

Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:34 am

Lemieux wrote:
I still think that PIT should be more focused on expanding domestically rather than expanding into niche markets like Cuba for example. It may just be that I'm 20 and naive, but I just don't understand.

They can and walk and chew gum at the same time. Domestic destinations have increased by about 30 in the past 2+ years as they added a few int'l routes (which the likes of CLE, IND, CMH, BNA would die for). No doubt PIT-West Coast is lacking but they are working on it.
FLYi

Midwestindy

Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:58 pm

flyPIT wrote:
Lemieux wrote:

They can and walk and chew gum at the same time. Domestic destinations have increased by about 30 in the past 2+ years as they added a few int'l routes (which the likes of CLE, IND, CMH, BNA would die for). No doubt PIT-West Coast is lacking but they are working on it.

Haha I genuinely laughed when I read this. You are very mislead if you think that airports like IND and BNA would die to have added ulcc flights to ICELAND!, and LCC 2x a week June-September seasonal flights to Germany. Talk to me when PIT brings in 5.4 Billion dollars to the local economy, talk to me when PIT gets flights to SAN, SEA, SLC, OAK, MEM, or SAT, Talk to me when PIT gets airlines like VX/AS/WS to start service without giving them a million dollars. The service PIT has added really can't compare to the service IND and BNA have added in the past two years. Domestically for 2017, you are adding NK, the airline consistently ranked last in the US, and one G4 flight to VPS, congratulations! IND is adding a second nonstop to SFO on VX, nonstop to SEA on AS, nonstop to SAN on WN, nonstop to EWR on WN, and VPS and AUS on G4. BNA is adding nonstop to MSP on WN, nonstop to SEA on DL, third nonstop to bay area on VX, nonstop to RDU on DL, and nonstop to YYC on WS. Lemieux is right, PIT is so naive that they are throwing loads of money and charging no landing fees to ulccs and lccs to add weak int'l service with no guarantee that they will stay. Plus, this int'l service that you are adding will bring very little economic benefit to pittsburgh because most of these seats will be PIT tourists going to and from Europe. The only true business int'l service that PIT has is seasonal, and was added 9 years ago, and this year was pushed back 25 days later, and not to mention the PIT airport gave DL 9 MILLION dollars to start the route to CDG. Anyone of those cities you yourself mentioned could get a flight to CDG if they were willing to give outrageous sums of money with no guarantees after 2 years. All of this while IND and BNA are being patient and adding plenty of domestic routes with no money guaranteed to the airlines, and PIT is chasing flights to CUBA! Thank you but IND and BNA would in no way "die for" any of your recently added int'l routes.

TheGeordielad

Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:04 pm

How many spare gates are at PIT?

Midwestindy

Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:26 pm

TheGeordielad wrote:
How many spare gates are at PIT?

According to an article I read from the Milwaukee Business Journal from July 1, 2016 , Christina Cassotis, chief executive officer of the Allegheny County Airport Authority, said more than half of Pittsburgh’s gates — 40 of 75 — sit vacant. However, that might have changed a bit since the article is from 2016.

Here is the link http://www.bizjournals.com/milwaukee/ne ... ks-to.html

AaronPGH

Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:34 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
flyPIT wrote:
Lemieux wrote:

Haha I genuinely laughed when I read this. You are very mislead if you think that airports like IND and BNA would die to have added ulcc flights to ICELAND!, and LCC 2x a week June-September seasonal flights to Germany. Talk to me when PIT brings in 5.4 Billion dollars to the local economy, talk to me when PIT gets flights to SAN, SEA, SLC, OAK, MEM, or SAT, Talk to me when PIT gets airlines like VX/AS/WS to start service without giving them a million dollars. The service PIT has added really can't compare to the service IND and BNA have added in the past two years. Domestically for 2017, you are adding NK, the airline consistently ranked last in the US, and one G4 flight to VPS, congratulations! IND is adding a second nonstop to SFO on VX, nonstop to SEA on AS, nonstop to SAN on WN, nonstop to EWR on WN, and VPS and AUS on G4. BNA is adding nonstop to MSP on WN, nonstop to SEA on DL, third nonstop to bay area on VX, nonstop to RDU on DL, and nonstop to YYC on WS. Lemieux is right, PIT is so naive that they are throwing loads of money and charging no landing fees to ulccs and lccs to add weak int'l service with no guarantee that they will stay. Plus, this int'l service that you are adding will bring very little economic benefit to pittsburgh because most of these seats will be PIT tourists going to and from Europe. The only true business int'l service that PIT has is seasonal, and was added 9 years ago, and this year was pushed back 25 days later, and not to mention the PIT airport gave DL 9 MILLION dollars to start the route to CDG. Anyone of those cities you yourself mentioned could get a flight to CDG if they were willing to give outrageous sums of money with no guarantees after 2 years. All of this while IND and BNA are being patient and adding plenty of domestic routes with no money guaranteed to the airlines, and PIT is chasing flights to CUBA! Thank you but IND and BNA would in no way "die for" any of your recently added int'l routes.

Go take a walk outside. Get off the computer and enjoy the sunshine today.

msycajun

Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:56 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
flyPIT wrote:
Lemieux wrote:

Dude, you sound delusional. Service to Europe is highly sought after by mid-sized markets and I'm sure IND or BNA would be throwing a lot of money at a carrier if they started service. PIT will have service to three European destinations on a full service, lcc, and ulcc - a very impressive offering, even if some of it is seasonal, especially compared to IND and BNA's total of 0 scheduled carriers to Europe

And NK starting service is a much bigger deal than your realize - especially that they're starting 7 cities this year, mostly daily and year round. That's a lot better than a couple of twice weekly G4 or seasonal WN flights. The low-cost offerings benefit the airport by increasing and stimulating traffic and driving down the cost per enplanement. By the way WN's IND-EWR is replacing IND-LGA, so that's not an increase in service.

Flaps

Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:00 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
flyPIT wrote:
Lemieux wrote:

Dude, check your drawers, I think your diaper needs changing. Any airport will take any service it can get. The vast majority of the additions at PIT have been packed to the gills. Yields may be a different story but they always are. I understand that compared to living in PIT, IND can really give you an inferiority complex but that's ok. Nothing to get upset over. Sit back, watch and learn.

acentauri

Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:14 am

Personal attacks aside. A potential pitfall with these new low cost PIT carriers/flights is that they may so negatively affect the loads/yields on the single legacy international carrier (DL-CDG), that it is forced to leave. Hard to understand how PIT O&D can financially support 3 international carriers without connecting traffic, regardless of frequency.

Flaps

Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:10 am

The transatlantic market from PIT is kind of fragmented. CDG is not really the ideal/preferred connecting point from this market vs LHR or FRA, There is a very large German business community that has long desired nonstop FRA service. There is also a very large AA frequent flyer community that would prefer to see LHR. Either of those two theoretically would be preferable to CDG but.....CDG is what we have and that is much better than nothing. It is unlikely that either FRA or LHR will come as long as CDG stays.

The Condor flights to FRA are geared toward that German business community and it will be interesting to see how they respond. WOW is tapping into an entirely different market altogether and are primarily grabbing traffic that would not have gone DL to CDG anyway. WOW has already put a dent in the Caribbean and Mexico vacation markets as an opportunity for those travelers to try something different. They may not pull much at all from DL's traffic or yields. Its a valid concern though and again time will tell. It will be an interesting summer to be sure.

AaronPGH

Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:22 am

The airport is really marketing the hell out of all of these flights, especially on Facebook. Almost every time I log on, one of the euro destination ads is right in my face. I think these flights are going to do fine.

Midwestindy

Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:40 am

Flaps wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
flyPIT wrote:

Dude, check your drawers, I think your diaper needs changing. Any airport will take any service it can get. The vast majority of the additions at PIT have been packed to the gills. Yields may be a different story but they always are. I understand that compared to living in PIT, IND can really give you an inferiority complex but that's ok. Nothing to get upset over. Sit back, watch and learn.

Haha no one is upset, but Inferiority complex? what about PITTSBURGH would cause anyone to feel inadequate, pittsburgh of all places is losing population while virtually every other city in the US is gaining population. In fact the IND airport brings in almost double the amount of economic impact as PIT does to the local economy. Why would anyone want to watch and learn, BNA and IND are doing very well compared to PIT, and both have passed PIT in terms of passenger traffic and economic impact on its city.

Go take a walk outside. Get off the computer and enjoy the sunshine today.[/quote]

Thanks I really needed that, I haven't gone outside in weeks!

Dude, you sound delusional. Service to Europe is highly sought after by mid-sized markets and I'm sure IND or BNA would be throwing a lot of money at a carrier if they started service. PIT will have service to three European destinations on a full service, lcc, and ulcc - a very impressive offering, even if some of it is seasonal, especially compared to IND and BNA's total of 0 scheduled carriers to Europe

And NK starting service is a much bigger deal than your realize - especially that they're starting 7 cities this year, mostly daily and year round. That's a lot better than a couple of twice weekly G4 or seasonal WN flights. The low-cost offerings benefit the airport by increasing and stimulating traffic and driving down the cost per enplanement. By the way WN's IND-EWR is replacing IND-LGA, so that's not an increase in service.[/quote]

Sure you are right, service to Europe is highly sought after by mid-sized markets. And I'm happy that PIT is proud of their 3 european non-stops. Again, to my point I think great connectivity within the US is more important than low-cost offerings to Europe, because most people in mid-sized markets are likely to travel within the US before they travel internationally. Actually Indiana just passed a bill through the senate that allocated a certain amount of money for incentives for international travel, this was for various reasons including helping to prevent the IND airport from throwing around loads of taxpayer dollars chasing nonstop flights, that a vast majority of taxpayers will never fly. Anyway, congratulations on the PIT airport on NK, I personally don't like NK due to the quality of their service, but I guess one man's trash is another man's treasure. However, if I'm not mistaken all the routes that NK are adding are already served by another airline. I also understand that there are costs and benefits in low-cost offerings, but I was saying that low-cost offerings are less likely to generate economic impact on a city, which is one of the jobs of an airport. Finally, I never said it was in increase in service I said it was a new route.

Midwestindy

Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:42 am

The way you guys talk about PIT you would think USair still had a hub there.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos