Airbus Lover
Topic Author

Detailed Scenery Description On SIN-LHR

Sat Feb 09, 2002 3:16 pm

I personally have flown a few times from South East Asia to Northwest Europe and vice versa. However, I have not experienced any great scenery on route.

I am wondering if anyone who have flown on such routes could tell me how the scenery is like and hopefully can emphasize the vegetation of poorer countries and the urban areas of some developed cities.

I am writing something for my Geography IGCSE about the vegetation and other developed places en route.

Thanks in advance.

Airbus Lover
Topic Author

RE: Detailed Scenery Description On SIN-LHR

Sat Feb 09, 2002 7:42 pm

anyone pls?

747-fan

Sat Feb 09, 2002 11:36 pm

Currently the flights are usually routed and pass over the arabian peninsula near dubai. On a clear cloudless day u can see the desert and its coastline..a mass of arid dry land.

mmmm...most of the time i'm glued to the ptv anyways  Smile

ryu2

Sun Feb 10, 2002 4:11 pm

SIN-LHR used to fly over Afghanistan. Due to the war, they changed the routes.

Are they flying over Afghanistan again, or is that still restricted?

Airbus Lover
Topic Author

Sun Feb 10, 2002 11:19 pm

thanks for the inputs. so even when they passed afghanistan they wouldnt have passed any agricultural property rite?

so the new route i belive goes via souther india , over there do we get to see vegetation lands? after mediterranean you mostly see urban areas rite? I kno over middle east it is mostly arid lands (deserts). before that we pass the indian ocean and i forgot do we overfly bay of bengal? any farmlands there?

Andaman Islands, Port Blair, any crops grown there apart from coconuts?

MAS777

Mon Feb 11, 2002 7:01 pm

Well - I have flown London-Kuala Lumpur for over 20 years now and boy has the route changed over the years.

On my last flight - MH8 from KUL-LHR. We left the Malaysian peninsula as we left the state of Selangor and headed over northern Sumatra with Medan in clear view. After Sumatra - it was blue seas until we overflew Chennai which tends to be more spectacular at night as the port lights 'welcomes' you to India. One thing I have always noticed about India when flying overnight is the fact that street lights never seem to end. Sure there are areas that are unlit but generally - you can follow a line of street lamps from coast to coast.

As mentioned - for a time - we used to head towards Central Asia but in December - we flew towards Muscat and the glorious Arabian sands are impressive particularly the coastline where the beige meets the blue sea. I tried following the roads to see where they led to and most seemed to join oases (where patches of greenery and towns exist).

As you enter Europe - usually over Turkey, if its clear you can often see the bridge linking Asia to Europe at Istanbul. Istanbul is pretty impressive from the air but as we headed towards Eastern Europe - the Balkan mountains were covered in snow. Finally - over western europe the scenery becomes greener but there always seems to be cloud cover here. Over the Netherlands (the lowlands) final preparations are normally made for landing at Heathrow after crossing the Channel.

cfalk

Mon Feb 11, 2002 7:08 pm

One route that was often used before Afghanistan became off-limits took you over Baku, and on the way you flew past Mt. Erebrus, which is on the border of Georgia and Russia, and is the highest mountain in Europe (Apologies to the French - the Mont-Blanc is NOT the highest).

Charles
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

Airbus Lover
Topic Author

Mon Feb 11, 2002 10:10 pm

Thanks people i really appreciate the info.