CaribClipper
Topic Author

No Meal Service on DL ATL-SFO in F?

Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:12 pm

Happy New Year! In February, I will be flying ATL-SFO on Delta 936 in First which is slated to be operated by a 737-900ER and the flight leaves ATL at 9:16PM. According to the booking confirmation only refreshments will be served. I am shocked there is no meal service let alone snacks. Is this accurate?

The flight is 5.5 hours and covers 2,200 miles so I don't understand how the late departure time of 9:16 PM could be the reason for no meal. Would appreciate any insight.

Thanks!

KiloRomeoDelta

Re: No Meal Service on DL ATL-SFO in F?

Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:23 pm

What is there to understand? It is Delta policy (as annoying it may be) that dinner time ends at 8pm. Any flight departing after that is considered by them to be too late to be having dinner so they will serve you snacks and dessert.

flyfresno

Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:27 pm

This is true. Same for late departure to LAX.

Osubuckeyes

Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:28 pm

Delta doesn't serve meals after 9pm on domestic flights. There is a remote possibility that you might get a hot sandwhich, but I wouldn't count on that. More than likely you will get snack basket service+drink service and that's that. You could try to Same Day Confirm to an earlier flight.

CaribClipper
Topic Author

Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:29 pm

KiloRomeoDelta wrote:
What is there to understand? It is Delta policy (as annoying it may be) that dinner time ends at 8pm. Any flight departing after that is considered by them to be too late to be having dinner so they will serve you snacks and dessert.

I was hoping for clarity as refreshments sounds like only drinks and the policy didn't jive with what Delta has on their website for First Class meal service:

On flights ranging from 900-1,399 miles, enjoy a full chef-curated meal service. Find breakfast and lunch items on flights departing from 5 AM to 1:30 PM, dinner for departures from 4 PM to 8 PM and a hearty selection of snacks at most times in between.

For flights over 1,500 miles, you’ll find a fresh, full meal service — featuring a variety of healthy and local options as part of your meal. You’ll have several meal selections to choose from.
Last edited by CaribClipper on Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dcajet

Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:29 pm

Nothing new here. Airlines have had that policy for years now; same as with red eye flights
"Unattended children will be given espresso and a free kitten"

compensateme

Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:44 pm

dcajet wrote:
Nothing new here. Airlines have had that policy for years now; same as with red eye flights

Airlines have long served meals only during designated meal periods, even during the era of regulation.

I find it surprising the OP is expecting a full meal service -- it'd be well after 10PM before the meal was served; most people don't delay their dinner just because they're going to be on a plane for 5+ hours. If you're curious as to what's in the snack basket, Google is your friend.
You're not the CEO; you were a menial aircraft support mechanic intern, and that was four years ago.

aklrno

Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:13 pm

compensateme wrote:
dcajet wrote:

Airlines have long served meals only during designated meal periods, even during the era of regulation.

I find it surprising the OP is expecting a full meal service -- it'd be well after 10PM before the meal was served; most people don't delay their dinner just because they're going to be on a plane for 5+ hours. If you're curious as to what's in the snack basket, Google is your friend.

Not all airlines, circumstances vary. I just got back from lax-akl-lax on NZ. Depending on winds, those fights vary from 11.5 to 13.5 hours. All those flights are overnight. Since there are at least two a day each way the times change a bit but dinner is served about 1 hour after departure and breakfast is 2 hours before arrival. In my case a couple of days ago I got dinner around 8:30PM departure time and breakfast about 5:30 AM arrival time.

Rajahdhani

Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:39 pm

Question;

If flying in Domestic First - does the passenger have access to the on of DL's lounges? Understandably, the passenger has a higher probability of being a FF member, and may likely already be eligible due to status - however, access to the lounge for dinner prior to the flight might be a decent compromise. Enjoy dinner, on the ground (where it is a more pleasent experience anyway), and then snack on the flight over. It's not the food on board, as requested - but even a decent meal at a restaurant at ATL prior to boarding might be a decent remedy.

I can understand the frustration. I too would feel, perhaps 'slighted' of the experience. I can see where a passenger would expect 'First Class' to really be 'First'. That said, I can see it from DL's perspective here as well. With a flight so late, and wanting to cater to the majority of their passengers - what is the best way to serve them? DL has decided that, as I have seen it when I fly red-eyes; most sleep. Some drink. Those who are hungry can eat just as they would at 'home' on their own sleep clocks (aka the midnight pantry-run items - sweets, smaller items et al) - and so DL takes care of 90% of passenger needs and eliminates waste (having to cater a flight that most sleep through anyway).

United1

Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:54 pm

aklrno wrote:
compensateme wrote:
dcajet wrote:

Not all airlines, circumstances vary. I just got back from lax-akl-lax on NZ. Depending on winds, those fights vary from 11.5 to 13.5 hours. All those flights are overnight. Since there are at least two a day each way the times change a bit but dinner is served about 1 hour after departure and breakfast is 2 hours before arrival. In my case a couple of days ago I got dinner around 8:30PM departure time and breakfast about 5:30 AM arrival time.

On a long haul international flight DL, UA and AA would all serve meals well into the night (ie LAX-SYD) however on most domestic red-eyes they cut off full meal service and substitute a snack on most flights.
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!

atlflyer

Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:54 pm

compensateme wrote:
dcajet wrote:

Eating dinner at 10PM is perfectly normal in NYC or Miami.

rwsea

Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:58 pm

Rajahdhani wrote:
Question;

If flying in Domestic First - does the passenger have access to the on of DL's lounges? Understandably, the passenger has a higher probability of being a FF member, and may likely already be eligible due to status - however, access to the lounge for dinner prior to the flight might be a decent compromise. Enjoy dinner, on the ground (where it is a more pleasent experience anyway), and then snack on the flight over. It's not the food on board, as requested - but even a decent meal at a restaurant at ATL prior to boarding might be a decent remedy.

I can understand the frustration. I too would feel, perhaps 'slighted' of the experience. I can see where a passenger would expect 'First Class' to really be 'First'. That said, I can see it from DL's perspective here as well. With a flight so late, and wanting to cater to the majority of their passengers - what is the best way to serve them? DL has decided that, as I have seen it when I fly red-eyes; most sleep. Some drink. Those who are hungry can eat just as they would at 'home' on their own sleep clocks (aka the midnight pantry-run items - sweets, smaller items et al) - and so DL takes care of 90% of passenger needs and eliminates waste (having to cater a flight that most sleep through anyway).

Delta doesn't allow lounge access for domestic passengers flying in F, nor do they give lounge access for premium FF members. Not that it matters anyway, since the SkyClubs don't serve much more than bar snacks - certainly not enough to constitute a meal. Same applies for AA and UA.

I can understand the logic that these late flights are well past meal times and a full dinner isn't appropriate, but I think a more substantial snack plate should be offered. The 'snack basket' is a joke. Most other global carriers offer some sort of meal, even on red-eye departures (for example, all the flights leaving India/Middle East for Europe in the middle of the night usually have a hot snack after takeoff, and a full breakfast before landing).

sfoflyguy

Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:10 pm

I've worked this flight many times. A first class snack basket --typically--(bananas,peanuts,pretzels,biscoff cookies,chips, granola bar)are passed around for you to choose from. The dinner hour has long since passed. Most passengers tend to sleep because they had their dinner meal already. You are always welcome to bring something on board with you.

compensateme

Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:51 pm

aklrno wrote:

Domestically, meals at meal time has long been the norm (even during deregulation). There have been niche carriers & periods in which certain legacies tried to increase service standards, but those are outliers.

For long-haul evening flights, the standard has long been to provide dinner, regardless of the flight's departure. That's gradually changing -- many late departures from the East Coast to Europe now feature a light snack in lieu of the traditional dinner. Even QR has replaced the multicourse dinners with a light snack on most late departures under 8 hours (or so).
You're not the CEO; you were a menial aircraft support mechanic intern, and that was four years ago.

catiii

Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:11 pm

i think the issue the OP has raised here is that the DL website is ambiguous on this. On the one hand is says:

On flights ranging from 900-1,399 miles, enjoy a full chef-curated meal service. Find breakfast and lunch items on flights departing from 5 AM to 1:30 PM, dinner for departures from 4 PM to 8 PM and a hearty selection of snacks at most times in between.

It then calls out flights over 1400 miles by saying, without regard for time:

For flights over 1,500 miles, you’ll find a fresh, full meal service — featuring a variety of healthy and local options as part of your meal. You’ll have several meal selections to choose from.

compensateme wrote:
dcajet wrote:

I'm surprised you think 10P is a cutoff for dinner (which is 7P in California). Funny, because DL serves dinner on intl departures after 9P...

aklrno

Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:06 pm

atlflyer wrote:
compensateme wrote:
dcajet wrote:

At 10PM you could probably get the early bird special in Madrid.

CaribClipper
Topic Author

Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:07 pm

catiii wrote:
i think the issue the OP has raised here is that the DL website is ambiguous on this.

Exactly - I interpreted that to be anything over 1,500 miles a meal will be served. I should add that I am actually connecting via ATL coming off what will be a 4 hour flight so don't really have a lot of time to sit down and grab dinner.

atlflyer wrote:
compensateme wrote:
dcajet wrote:

AA has a 9:55PM departure MIA-SFO and JetBlue JFK-SFO at 9:20PM both serving a meal in F (yes I know JKF-SFO is a premium route and why don't you book that flight then) just saying.

compensateme

Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:12 pm

CaribClipper wrote:
AA has a 9:55PM departure MIA-SFO and JetBlue JFK-SFO at 9:20PM both serving a meal in F (yes I know JKF-SFO is a premium route and why don't you book that flight then) just saying.

The legacies offer a higher level of service on transcontinental routes; AA includes MIA in this.

catiii wrote:
I'm surprised you think 10P is a cutoff for dinner (which is 7P in California). Funny, because DL serves dinner on intl departures after 9P...

Please name me a DL domestic route that features, or has featured, meal service after 9PM (sans flights sold as DeltaOne). Longhaul flights have always had different service standards and that's been alluded to but it's not what's being discussed.

flyPIT

Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:18 pm

compensateme wrote:
it'd be well after 10PM before the meal was served; most people don't delay their dinner just because they're going to be on a plane for 5+ hours. If you're curious as to what's in the snack basket, Google is your friend.

People on the move delay their dinner for all kinds of reasons, not least of which could be a delayed inbound flight causing a tight connection on the carrier in question. For a First Class transcon flight, a full meal should at least be offered.
FLYi

compensateme

Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:22 pm

flyPIT wrote:
People on the move delay their dinner for all kinds of reasons, not least of which could be a delayed inbound flight causing a tight connection on the carrier in question. For a First Class transcon flight, a full meal should at least be offered.

Catering is expensive and that expense is spread into ticket prices. There's no doubt that a small minority of passengers schedule themselves tightly and would appreciate a meal (myself included), but that doesn't justify the large number of meals that are tossed aside or picked at and subsequently tossed out. I would rather see DL invest the catering budget into improving quality & choices.

XLA2008

Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:28 pm

American Airlines is the same, they offer no meal service on OGG-LAX in first (late flight), and American Airlines service no meals on DFW-OGG in Economy and that's a 10 hour flight, I don't fly Economy but I was shocked to find that a 10 hour flight to Hawaii from Dallas serves no meals yet a 9 hour flight from Dallas to London gets 2 meals and a snack service in Economy... go figure!! And it isn't like flight prices are much different for Hawaii and London, in fact I've seen more expensive tickets to Hawaii in comparison to London before on AA's site... that is Economy though! First you get full meal service on both flights!

KLDC10

Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:30 pm

I'm afraid that the snacks probably won't be anything substantial. Standard economy class peanuts and Biscoffs, with some bags of chips offered too. I had a similar experience recently flying ATL-BOS on Delta - during mealtimes, this flight is long enough to warrant a meal service, and I've enjoyed dinner on this segment before, as well as lunch when flying the opposite direction. On this particular occasion, I had a choice of two flights; one with dinner, one without. The earlier flight was operated by an A320 or 737-900 (I can't remember which) and the later flight by a 757 - being an aviation enthusiast, I chose the 757 flight in the knowledge that I wouldn't be served a full dinner. I did, however, expect that the snacks might be more substantial - I mean, a wrap, or some baked cookies wouldn't go amiss. It wasn't so bad on my segment, and indeed the snack basket was passed around multiple times, but on a transcon I do think that not having the option to enjoy a meal, or at least a snack of some substance, is somewhat hard to defend.
DC9/MD90/MD11/F70/BAE146/Q400/737/738/739/752/772/A320/A332/A333/E190

ASFlyer

Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:36 pm

CaribClipper wrote:
catiii wrote:
i think the issue the OP has raised here is that the DL website is ambiguous on this.

Exactly - I interpreted that to be anything over 1,500 miles a meal will be served. I should add that I am actually connecting via ATL coming off what will be a 4 hour flight so don't really have a lot of time to sit down and grab dinner.

If you're coming off of a 4 hour flight (assuming you're in First Class on both flights) with no time to grab dinner, and connecting to a flight after 9p, then you should have dinner served on the first flight.

compensateme

Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:38 pm

KLDC10 wrote:
...but on a transcon I do think that not having the option to enjoy a meal, or at least a snack of some substance, is somewhat hard to defend.

It's easy to defend. At 10PM, most people will either decline or just pick at their meal. That's a lot of food that goes to waste; catering is expensive and cost is spread across tickets. Thus, by limiting meals to meal periods, the legacies are able to establish some sort of standards while maximizing their catering budget. It was like this even before 9-11.

ASFlyer

Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:44 pm

compensateme wrote:
KLDC10 wrote:
...but on a transcon I do think that not having the option to enjoy a meal, or at least a snack of some substance, is somewhat hard to defend.

It's easy to defend. At 10PM, most people will either decline or just pick at their meal. That's a lot of food that goes to waste; catering is expensive and cost is spread across tickets. Thus, by limiting meals to meal periods, the legacies are able to establish some sort of standards while maximizing their catering budget. It was like this even before 9-11.

I'm just curious if the late night flights are less expensive than the earlier flights to reflect the catering deficit, or if the person at 10p pays the same as the person at 5p?

compensateme

Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:59 pm

ASFlyer wrote:
I'm just curious if the late night flights are less expensive than the earlier flights to reflect the catering deficit, or if the person at 10p pays the same as the person at 5p?

The catering budget is indirectly spread amongst all ticket prices. If airlines increased their catering budget, it's be reflected across the board in ticket prices or across the board in quality. Sucks to be flying at 10pm, but I doubt the average person is concerned with getting a full meal then.

KLDC10

Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:02 pm

ASFlyer wrote:

In my particular case, no, the later flight was not cheaper, but of course I can't speak beyond my own experience. I took the catering "hit" because nothing beats sitting in front of a PW2000 series engine at takeoff thrust ;)

compensateme wrote:

That's fair enough, but as I noted above, in my case there was no price difference. Perhaps a suitable option would be to allow passengers to choose in advance of their travel dates whether they would like a meal on such flights? That would allow the airline to cut waste, but also provide for those who desire to eat something. We don't live in a society anymore that adheres to rigid mealtime/work structure (I wish we did, but we don't), and flexibility is important when booking an airline ticket. Just my :twocents:

lawair

Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:03 pm

FWIW on a recent red eye flight from SFO to BWI in UA I was served a hot burger with a small salad (on the side, but intended as a burger topping) and a chocolate truffle. It was more than enough.

kgaiflyer

Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:14 pm

I remember being on a LAX to IAD United nonstop departing at 11:30pm back in September. I was in seat 1B. After an hour of flight, the FAs began to inquire who wanted a plated burger platter they had on board. Of the 16 passengers in the F cabin, only two of us hadn't eaten dinner. I eventually wound up eating two platters since no one else wanted one.

Otherwise, it was a tremendous waste of food and added weight the completely full plane didn't need.

But - I have to admit after two platters and two lagers, I got some great sleep. :)

clrd4t8koff

Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:24 pm

compensateme wrote:
The legacies offer a higher level of service on transcontinental routes; AA includes MIA in this.

1). DL is a legacy in case you weren't aware. So the fact that AA serves for a full meal on a 9:55pm MIA-SFO says that AA has a more premium F offering than DL.

2). According to the great circle mapper ATL-SFO is 2,139 miles vs. MIA-SFO at 2,585. So if MIA-SFO is considered transcon than why isn't ATL-SFO when they're only ~400 miles apart?

Seems pretty cheap on DL's part. Then again this is the same airline that can't even advance their technology enough to allow people to choose their meal ahead of times vs. AA who's had the technology for years.

brilondon

Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:26 pm

You stated the policy your self, no meals on flights after 8 pm. Not to sure what you are misunderstanding. You are arriving about 11 local time. If you are hungry, there are a number of good restaurants in the SFO area that will gladly separate you from your money for a meal at that time.
Rush for ever; Yankees all the way!!

clrd4t8koff

Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:27 pm

kgaiflyer wrote:
I remember being on a LAX to IAD United nonstop departing at 11:30pm back in September. I was in seat 1B. After an hour of flight, the FAs began to inquire who wanted a plated burger platter they had on board. Of the 16 passengers in the F cabin, only two of us hadn't eaten dinner. I eventually wound up eating two platters since no one else wanted one.

Otherwise, it was a tremendous waste of food and added weight the completely full plane didn't need.

But - I have to admit after two platters and two lagers, I got some great sleep. :)

I'd argue that there's a pretty big difference between a 9:16pm departure and an 11:30pm departure. We're talking almost 2.5 hours difference. Not a fair comparison.

ASFlyer

Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:05 am

clrd4t8koff wrote:
kgaiflyer wrote:

I'd argue that there's a pretty big difference between a 9:16pm departure and an 11:30pm departure. We're talking almost 2.5 hours difference. Not a fair comparison.

On Alaska transcons we offer a warm sandwich and salad on our red-eyes, or an appetizer plate with a warm component, like pita, hummus, olive salad and a warm chicken skewer. To be honest, while I don't see the need for a meal at that hour, I'm surprised Delta doesn't offer one. In terms of catering, Alaska First Class has taken a slide in recent times and Delta usually does a better job in terms of food - at least on competitive routes. Maybe that's the key though - if there's no competition to speak of then there's no reason to step it up? Delta seems to offer more on the west coast on shorter flights, but they have little to no competition on a majority of routes from ATL so they probably stick to their defined catering guidelines there.

johns624

Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:44 am

I've flown AF twice DTW-CDG in Business. The flight leaves after 9pm and they serve a full meal. To tell you the truth, I found it annoying because I just wanted to sleep.

AEROFAN

Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:17 am

CaribClipper wrote:
KiloRomeoDelta wrote:

I was hoping for clarity as refreshments sounds like only drinks and the policy didn't jive with what Delta has on their website for First Class meal service:

A meal will not be provided. You will not even receive a sandwich. The snack will be drinks, an apple or banana and those pretzels crap things you receive in coach.

Was on business in SFO a few months ago my flights was approximately same time as yours.

clrd4t8koff

Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:23 am

IPFreely wrote:
A lot of drama about a stale sandwich and some cut up pieces of overripe fruit. No doubt quite a hardship for the OP to endure. But I think he will survive the ordeal.

Honestly the only thing with drama is your post. Nothing dramatic about OP inquiring about meals. Completely logical considering how ambiguous dl.com is about meals, which was earlier stated. Thanks though.

MaksFly

Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:28 am

AEROFAN wrote:
CaribClipper wrote:
KiloRomeoDelta wrote:

A meal will not be provided. You will not even receive a sandwich. The snack will be drinks, an apple or banana and those pretzels crap things you receive in coach.

Was on business in SFO a few months ago my flights was approximately same time as yours.

that depends.

On my last Delta flight in Premium Econ that was also a redeye (LAX - JFK) I got a nice packaged sandwich. (that was with the new upgraded overnight kit too).
Traditionally redeyes in first you get the basket passed around which might have anything from the basic cookies and pretzels with a few bananas to a variety of breakfast cookies and other more filling snacks. It really depends.

(Delta Plat).

If you are in SFO, your best bet is to go visit the Amex lounge before your flight and have a proper meal. =)

MSPNWA

Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:19 am

I hadn't realized that DL's website has that false representation for flights over 1500 miles. Granted you can check each flight when you book, but it's still not right.

It's a shame that full meals aren't offered all long flights, no matter the carrier. It's very possible that with another flight connecting to it, a first class passenger could fly for 6-7 hours without a meal. One can book MIA-ATL-SAN leaving at 5:50pm, sit on a plane for over 7 hours, and get nothing more than a snack basket.

admanager

Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:04 am

rwsea wrote:
Rajahdhani wrote:
Question;

Delta doesn't allow lounge access for domestic passengers flying in F, nor do they give lounge access for premium FF members. Not that it matters anyway, since the SkyClubs don't serve much more than bar snacks - certainly not enough to constitute a meal. Same applies for AA and UA.

I can understand the logic that these late flights are well past meal times and a full dinner isn't appropriate, but I think a more substantial snack plate should be offered. The 'snack basket' is a joke. Most other global carriers offer some sort of meal, even on red-eye departures (for example, all the flights leaving India/Middle East for Europe in the middle of the night usually have a hot snack after takeoff, and a full breakfast before landing).

Actually Delta Diamond members get complementary Sky Club membership, a valuable benefit. The Sky Club in F serves a wide variety of hot food, not just bar snacks and in season has the outdoor skydeck - it's by far my choice of clubs in Atlanta.

catiii

Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:09 pm

compensateme wrote:
Longhaul flights have always had different service standards and that's been alluded to but it's not what's being discussed.

That's EXACTLY what's being discussed. The DL policy is a) ambiguous and b) illogical.

Remember you said:

"I find it surprising the OP is expecting a full meal service -- it'd be well after 10PM before the meal was served; most people don't delay their dinner just because they're going to be on a plane for 5+ hours."

So explain to me the difference in a customer in F flying JFK-KEF on DL, blocked for 5:46, and a customer in F on ATL-SFO blocked for 5:31?

It never ceases to amaze me the hills that the DL fanboys on this site choose to die on...

frmrCapCadet

Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:26 pm

Do not expect first class service in legacies in the US. There are a lot of food possibilities which would be easy to serve, think Tapas, panini sandwiches, seafood appetizers etc. If fact in Y many of us might be happy be happy to order and pay for such. But nothing in first? ......
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

JAAlbert

Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:31 pm

The last time I flew UA first on the red eye from SAN to EWR (I recall the departure being right about 10pm) we were offered a quesadilla type snack - not a full meal, but hot and appreciated (well, actually it wasn't very good).

My thought is that - sure if the airline doesn't want to serve a meal late at night fine - but reduce the fare to reflect the lack of service. With the price of first, many folks fly first to get all the amenities, not just extra legroom.

trent768

Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:22 pm

I don't get it. Most people here are complaining about how deteriorating the service on US carrier is and yet when someone is asking why there's no meal offered in a 5 hr flight in F (no, i don't think banana and biscuit are acceptable as a refreshment in F), most of the responses are:
1. eat at the airport
2. stop complaining and get over it

When I pay $800ish for a 5 hr flight in F, I certainly expect more than just a banana and some biscuit. No matter how late the flight is.

phluser

Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:51 pm

clrd4t8koff wrote:
2). According to the great circle mapper ATL-SFO is 2,139 miles vs. MIA-SFO at 2,585. So if MIA-SFO is considered transcon than why isn't ATL-SFO when they're only ~400 miles apart?

Seems pretty cheap on DL's part. Then again this is the same airline that can't even advance their technology enough to allow people to choose their meal ahead of times vs. AA who's had the technology for years.

The same reason CLE-SFO which is 30 miles longer than ATL-SFO, isn't a transcon.

It's certainly quite possible that AA also distinguishes it more premium and has more international connections and higher fared pax aboard. I'd guess ATL-SFO has a lot of domestic connections. In Y, fares tend to be cheaper on the late flights and maybe it's also the same with F.

757SanCam

Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:03 pm

I had a similar experience couple years ago on full fare 1st class from ATL to SAN with a departure around 8:30pm. They didn't even serve snacks. Delta lost me there, I have never flown them again. I've flown red eyes on UA from Hawaii to west coast, and have had a hot meal. Nice way to treat customers who pay over $1,000 on a flight and get nothing!

compensateme

Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:11 pm

catiii wrote:
That's EXACTLY what's being discussed. The DL policy is a) ambiguous and b) illogical.

Remember you said:

"I find it surprising the OP is expecting a full meal service -- it'd be well after 10PM before the meal was served; most people don't delay their dinner just because they're going to be on a plane for 5+ hours."

So explain to me the difference in a customer in F flying JFK-KEF on DL, blocked for 5:46, and a customer in F on ATL-SFO blocked for 5:31?

It never ceases to amaze me the hills that the DL fanboys on this site choose to die on...

I'm no DL fanboy, I'm just pointing out that traditionally (including the era of regulation) meals were served only during meal time. Longhaul flights have always had different standards. There's definitely a converge ongoing -- late dinner services are increasingly being replaced with a light snack -- but that's another topic.

drdisque

Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:20 pm

As a random datapoint, I once took the AA 8:15 PM LGA-ORD flight and got upgraded to F. Of the 16 F seats, only two of us ate the offered dinner. Granted it's a shorter flight, but it's also an earlier departure.

KLDC10

Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:22 pm

trent768 wrote:
I don't get it. Most people here are complaining about how deteriorating the service on US carrier is and yet when someone is asking why there's no meal offered in a 5 hr flight in F (no, i don't think banana and biscuit are acceptable as a refreshment in F), most of the responses are:
1. eat at the airport
2. stop complaining and get over it

When I pay $800ish for a 5 hr flight in F, I certainly expect more than just a banana and some biscuit. No matter how late the flight is.

757SanCam wrote:
I had a similar experience couple years ago on full fare 1st class from ATL to SAN with a departure around 8:30pm. They didn't even serve snacks. Delta lost me there, I have never flown them again. I've flown red eyes on UA from Hawaii to west coast, and have had a hot meal. Nice way to treat customers who pay over $1,000 on a flight and get nothing!

I'd second both of these comments. Paying a premium for first class service on a flight of such length should command more than just a bigger seat and an alternate receptacle (glass vs. plastic) for your drink.

I'm not bashing on Delta here - I'm generally a big fan and loyal to the airline and partners, but this is one aspect of their service that could use improvement.

TVNWZ

Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:36 pm

There is only Anet ambiguity. The DL site says meals up till 8. The flight is after eight. The booking statement for the flight that leaves after 8pm says refreshments. There is no mention of meals and that conforms with the time provisions. Pretty uniform and unambiguous to me.

milemaster

Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:56 pm

CaribClipper wrote:

Enjoy your "full chef-curated" meal service.