Topic Author

AA Logo

Wed Aug 18, 1999 1:35 pm

I'm sure some of you in the flightsim community have read the press release from Well if you haven't then i will tell you that is says that may not use the American Airlines logo anywhere in their website or on any plane that is on the website. Who else thinks that this is insane. I mean wouldn't it be like free avdertisement to have the AA logo on a website. Give me some feedback!

RE: AA Logo

Wed Aug 18, 1999 2:00 pm

It has to do with legal crap. If they say they can use it then someone might do a naughty thing and AA can't do much about it because they said OK. Good old lawyers huh?

Wed Aug 18, 1999 2:03 pm

Not only does this apply to using their logo, but also to photographs. Here is an excerpt from the press release: "The lawyers involved are in the process of identifying and contacting other sites so other flightsim sites that have American Airlines planes or photos online should expect to be contacted." Does this include Our innocent aviation photo site?

Not looking good for us or AA.

What Kind Of Stupid Crap Is This?!

Wed Aug 18, 1999 3:42 pm

I cannot belive this! What harm is there in having FS aircraft and photos of American? How could this possibly hurt the airline's image? I think having photos and aircraft available on the 'net would BOOST AA's popularity. Well, AA will regret this, BIG TIME! They will lose popularity, especially if no pictures of AA are allowed on the 'net. I took a pic of an AA MD-83 in SLC a while back and WAS going to add it to airliners, but now I guess not.  
Booooooooo! AA!
I like American, but they need new lawyers. Maybe some with brains. Maybe someone who knows the value of the AA logo on the internet. Maybe a person who is an aviation enthusiast?
Who else thinks this is the worst move AA's lawyers could make?
I do.

DL 604

RE: What Kind Of Stupid Crap Is This?!

Thu Aug 19, 1999 8:13 am

Lawyers in this case, aren't the source of the problem. They're just doing what their superiors in marketing and finance tell them to. The latter think they can make more money by having absolute control over their logo and selling that control to an exclusive buyer.

It appears that AA -- oops, trademark infringement -- sold exclusive rights to their logo to an unnamed software company. I just wonder how much they paid since AA is going to be spending thousands of dollars every day chasing down websites and individuals providing AA aircraft for sim'ers.

"The word I'm looking for I can't say, because there are preschool toys present."
-- Woody in _Toy Story_

Fri Aug 20, 1999 12:40 am

I personally don't mind, as I don't like American Airlines, but as long as United's flying U is allowed, I am happy. United is the best & my fave.