klm617

Re: Detroit Air Service Discussion Part 5

Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:10 pm

globalcabotage wrote:
DFW is booming while DTW is recovering from bankruptcy. People are leaving DTW as fast as they are moving to DFW, why is that!

Detroit once had well over 1m people, now AUS, FTW, JAX, etc. keep growing and are bigger than DTW.

You say I hijack this 1 thread, while you hijack every thread. Me 1, you all. Get a life. This forum used to have great, open discussion, but it's turned into Airbus vs. Boeing, BOS/DTW/MIA vs. any airport with service said airports don't have.

Really and you compare AUS, FTW, JAX, to a metro area that is just about the same size as SEA and ATL. The people are still there they just moved outside of the city limits.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

flymco753

Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:10 pm

Did anyone notice the DL 744 that went to MCO and back yesterday?
Whether you're here on business, returning home, or visiting our world class attractions, welcome to Orlando and Central Florida...

flymco753

Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:16 pm

AM starts MEX tomorrow, I wont be there for the festivities, anyone else going or on the flight?
Whether you're here on business, returning home, or visiting our world class attractions, welcome to Orlando and Central Florida...

flymco753

Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:57 pm

Seat1F

Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:16 pm

I just checked on EF for the seat maps and fare bucket availability on the new AM MEX-DTW flight from today through next Saturday. It looks pretty dire with the vast majority of seats/fare buckets being still available. If they don't start selling more seats, I suspect this route will be short-lived for AM.

PSU.DTW.SCE

Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:08 pm

2 things on AM - I'm not seeing that you can yet book them on a DL codeshare so you can't see them when searching for flights on the DL website.

Also, this upcoming week is spring break week in Metro Detroit and a lot people with school-aged children out on vacation next week, and there is a noticeable dip in business travel next week.

flymco753

Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:38 pm

They did the same with VS, it took them 5 months after inaugural to add the flights to DL's website. Either it's something at AM or DL networking, and I've mentioned it several times.

flymco753

Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:12 pm

DL nonstops to MUC are on sale in May for $905. I mentioned it to a few German families I know that are in Detroit that go to that area. I feel like this will be a strong summer for MUC, some flights are already hard to find seats on in coach.

Did DTW used to have TLV charters? Of course it's unlikely DL will do DTW-TLV before ATL, but would it be possible to have El Al do TLV a few days of the week? How would this effect B6's flight?

klm617

Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:31 pm

flymco753 wrote:
DL nonstops to MUC are on sale in May for $905. I mentioned it to a few German families I know that are in Detroit that go to that area. I feel like this will be a strong summer for MUC, some flights are already hard to find seats on in coach.

Did DTW used to have TLV charters? Of course it's unlikely DL will do DTW-TLV before ATL, but would it be possible to have El Al do TLV a few days of the week? How would this effect B6's flight?

Yes EL AL used to fly them with a 744 but they only were operated like one or two days a year.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

flymco753

Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:21 pm

DL swapped the the PEK 332 for a 777, either PEK will become an A350 or it will remain a 777. PVG, ICN, and NRT are guaranteed 350's IMO.

shoelessjoe

Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:45 pm

All the usual suspects asleep this AM? Alaska begins nonstop service PDX-DTW effective 8/30. Already loaded in the AS schedule.

flymco753

Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:07 pm

shoelessjoe wrote:
All the usual suspects asleep this AM? Alaska begins nonstop service PDX-DTW effective 8/30. Already loaded in the AS schedule.
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/alaska-ai ... 00969.html My first thought was, I wonder how DL is going to respond if even to it. If anything DL will go year round since there is no need for them to add a 2nd daily.

klm617

Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:32 pm

flymco753 wrote:
shoelessjoe wrote:
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/alaska-ai ... 00969.html My first thought was, I wonder how DL is going to respond if even to it. If anything DL will go year round since there is no need for them to add a 2nd daily.
Delta doesn't need to respond at all. As I have been told over and over PDX-DTW is a money loser. Delta can just sit back and do nothing and watch AS bleed money until the retreat from DTW-PDX but on the other hand is Delta was just keeping capacity tight on this route so they could keep prices artificially high then we will see a response from them time will tell.

shoelessjoe

Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:45 pm

...the era of airlines flying routes that lose money has been over for a long time--even if it's to "defend" a hub. If PDX lost money DL wouldn't fly it...and if there was no reasonable prospect of AS making money on the route they wouldn't be starting it either.

compensateme

Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:53 pm

flymco753 wrote:
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/alaska-airlines-announces-long-haul-120000969.html My first thought was, I wonder how DL is going to respond if even to it. If anything DL will go year round since there is no need for them to add a 2nd daily.

Historically, DL carries around 20% of the market on the nonstop flight (and another 30% via connecting services). I've always found it puzzling why DL didn't offer twice-daily services (let alone suspend service seasonally); DTW/PDX isn't a high-volume market, but there's sufficient traffic for twice-daily services, given the hub to back it up.

AS's PDX/DTW is welcome news, but it's clearly utilization flying -- overnight flight, early morning return. Glad to see AS up to three daily in a market (DTW) many predicted wouldn't last.
You're not the CEO; you were a menial aircraft support mechanic intern, and that was four years ago.

SANFan

Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:21 pm

Today's AAG announcement of DTW-PDX starting this summer encourages me that DTW-SAN can't be too far behind. AAG is quite short on 737s this year so I doubt I'll see a SAN-flight in 2017 but my bet is on 2018 for sure. (Of course they could do like they are with PDX -- red-eye e/b and a morning return using w/c RON aircraft...)

Of course that gives NK a chance to sneak in there first.

In any case, I have a strong feeling, DL will have some company in the DTW-SAN market sooner rather than later.

bb

ANA787

Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:39 pm

SANFan wrote:
Today's AAG announcement of DTW-PDX starting this summer encourages me that DTW-SAN can't be too far behind. AAG is quite short on 737s this year so I doubt I'll see a SAN-flight in 2017 but my bet is on 2018 for sure. (Of course they could do like they are with PDX -- red-eye e/b and a morning return using w/c RON aircraft...)

In any case, I have a strong feeling, DL will have some company in the DTW-SAN market sooner rather than later.

bb

I would't hold your breath on AS adding DTW-SAN. I'd expect DTW to one of their LAX/SFO(VX) hubs next from the AS group if anything. Count on NK jumping in on DTW-SAN for sure. And DL already flies SAN-DTW, 4 daily as of this summer.

DTW-PDX was expected. PDX is an AS hub, unlike SAN, with many more connecting opportunities. Clearly a much higher priority(and DL only flies DTW-PDX 1x daily seasonally. another frequency was very much needed)

flymco753

Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:30 pm

SANFan wrote:

bb
I actually think NK is going to announce SAN this summer for the start of W17/18.

klm617

Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:17 am

So if FI were to add more routes from the USA to KEF what other cities not already served larger than Detroit would be viable with the 757 maybe ATL and FLL are there any others that would be of higher value before DTW for them to add.

flymco753

Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:28 pm

klm617 wrote:
So if FI were to add more routes from the USA to KEF what other cities not already served larger than Detroit would be viable with the 757 maybe ATL and FLL are there any others that would be of higher value before DTW for them to add.
RSW would probably be added to the top markets for FI, other than that DTW has to be close up unless they rank CMH, CVG, PIT, CLE and IND above DTW, but they could run daily from DTW and sub daily from those airports, the only way that'd happen is aircraft utilization.

I still think WOW will come before FI, the ORD announcement probably won't effect DTW because of the market DTW holds with bleed.

lavalampluva

Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:02 pm

flymco753 wrote:
klm617 wrote:
RSW would probably be added to the top markets for FI, other than that DTW has to be close up unless they rank CMH, CVG, PIT, CLE and IND above DTW, but they could run daily from DTW and sub daily from those airports, the only way that'd happen is aircraft utilization.

I still think WOW will come before FI, the ORD announcement probably won't effect DTW because of the market DTW holds with bleed.

I can't see RSW being anything more than seasonal, and even then maybe 2-3x per week. With the addition of the 767 that will allow FI to expand from the western US. I'm expecting them to start linking up from AUS, DFW, IAH.
Remind me to send a thank you note to Mr. Boeing.

Seat1F

Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:03 pm

shoelessjoe wrote:

DL have no-one to blame but themselves for this AS addition. For years, DL has pushed traffic going to PDX (whether DTW O&D or connections) via MSP. MSP gets 3-5 daily to PDX yet DTW to PDX is less than 1 per day except in high season? Glad AS is starting this service.

shoelessjoe

Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:44 pm

Excellent point Seat1F. SMF, SJC and a few other secondary western markets are similarly flowed over MSP/SLC.

flymco753

Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:54 pm

shoelessjoe wrote:
Excellent point Seat1F. SMF, SJC and a few other secondary western markets are similarly flowed over MSP/SLC.
ABQ, ELP, and TUS are flowed from ATL primarily too, markets that can easily do daily 319s/320s.

klm617

Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:10 pm

flymco753 wrote:
shoelessjoe wrote:
ABQ, ELP, and TUS are flowed from ATL primarily too, markets that can easily do daily 319s/320s.

I would say ABQ and TUS would flow more over SLC than ATL

flymco753

Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:54 pm

klm617 wrote:
flymco753 wrote:
shoelessjoe wrote:

TUS, SMF, SJC, and ELP all have over 100 PDEW in slow months. ABQ hits 100 in summer months where DAB is near 100 in winter months. I've seen news articles from about every single one of these airports that included DTW on their target additions. I've even seen GEG and BOI include DTW in their "wish lists".

lavalampluva

Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:47 pm

flymco753 wrote:

TUS, SMF, SJC, and ELP all have over 100 PDEW in slow months. ABQ hits 100 in summer months where DAB is near 100 in winter months. I've seen news articles from about every single one of these airports that included DTW on their target additions. I've even seen GEG and BOI include DTW in their "wish lists".[/quote]

Where are these wishlist? The only thing I've seen are the ones people post on a.net. :?:

compensateme

Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:21 pm

lavalampluva wrote:
Where are these wishlist? The only thing I've seen are the ones people post on a.net. :?:

Educate yourself.

Every single commercial airport in the country -- and many without -- have "wishlists."
You're not the CEO; you were a menial aircraft support mechanic intern, and that was four years ago.

johns624

Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:22 pm

klm617 wrote:
Nope. My wife flies to TUC quite a bit for business and is usually routed via ATL.

klm617

Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:44 pm

johns624 wrote:
klm617 wrote:
Nope. My wife flies to TUC quite a bit for business and is usually routed via ATL.

Just another example of how Delta forces many travelers out of their way over that hub from hell. I would hate having to fly 3/4 of the way to Florida to go west to TUS. AA and UA would be much better over ORD.

lavalampluva

Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:56 pm

compensateme wrote:
lavalampluva wrote:

Educate yourself.

Every single commercial airport in the country -- and many without -- have "wishlists."

Nice. Just asking for some assistance. :roll:

klm617

Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:14 am

lavalampluva wrote:
compensateme wrote:
lavalampluva wrote:

Educate yourself.

Here is Detroit's wish list. http://www.therouteshop.com/profiles/de ... o-airport/

lavalampluva

Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:17 am

klm617 wrote:
lavalampluva wrote:
compensateme wrote:

Educate yourself.

Here is Detroit's wish list. http://www.therouteshop.com/profiles/de ... o-airport/

Thank you. That's all I asked for.

flymco753

Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:55 pm

So far the only thing DL has done to respond to AS adding PDX is change the 739 back to an A321, ATL will have 2 daily 321's, PDX 1 daily, and LAX 2 daily. MCO is rumored to be next for 321's or SFO.

compensateme

Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:41 pm

flymco753 wrote:
So far the only thing DL has done to respond to AS adding PDX is change the 739 back to an A321, ATL will have 2 daily 321's, PDX 1 daily, and LAX 2 daily. MCO is rumored to be next for 321's or SFO.

DL doesn't have to respond; PDX is simply not that significant a market for them. Historically, DL carries about a third to two-fifths of the traffic between the markets at average fares below those of comparable distances. FWIW, DL did just upgauge the flight to a 757 for the summer, which is a gain of about 20 seats. Doubtful it has anything to do with AS.

Consider how DL's responding to UA's entry into SFO/DTW: it's cutting capacity (this year: 739, 4x753; last year: 2x739, 757, 753, 2x763 -- the reduction in capacity is equal to a 757).

- - -

One other schedule change I've noticed is that MIA is going to 717. Lots of cheap fares between DTW & FLL/MIA; DL clearly wants to keep the high-yielding stuff to MIA & route everything else to FLL.

flymco753

Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:20 pm

compensateme wrote:
flymco753 wrote:
One other schedule change I've noticed is that MIA is going to 717. Lots of cheap fares between DTW & FLL/MIA; DL clearly wants to keep the high-yielding stuff to MIA & route everything else to FLL.
Florida flights this summer are different. All M90 to FLL, M88 to PBI, as you said all 717 to MIA, M90 to RSW, an M90 to TPA, and 3 739's and and 2 A320's to MCO.

MCO's 320s and 757 can switch to the A321. Since both aircraft have been place holders for the 321. TPA has 2 daily 757's that can switch to the A321.

I posted before PEK is going back to the 777 which is welcoming. AF seems pretty determined for 777 service this fall. LH still has the 747 on FRA, it should be a good summer.

flymco753

Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:09 pm

flymco753 wrote:
compensateme wrote:
flymco753 wrote:
Florida flights this summer are different. All M90 to FLL, M88 to PBI, as you said all 717 to MIA, M90 to RSW, an M90 to TPA, and 3 739's and and 2 A320's to MCO.

MCO's 320s and 757 can switch to the A321. Since both aircraft have been place holders for the 321. TPA has 2 daily 757's that can switch to the A321.

I posted before PEK is going back to the 777 which is welcoming. AF seems pretty determined for 777 service this fall. LH still has the 747 on FRA, it should be a good summer.
My statement regarding the 321s this summer are wrong, they've pulled the 321 from DTW until August as of right now.

BigTexFlyer

Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:38 am

Good luck on your wish list! We have quite a few on our wish list for DAL/DFW, HOU/IAH, AUS/SAT, etc., but market realities impact this! We are geographically impacted to Europe and Asia compared to DTW, but LatAM is better for us.

Also, we don't have ORD, YYZ, IAD, and JFK/EWR to deal with.

Good luck with your crusade!

flymco753

Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:10 pm

Florida flights on DL this summer will be a T-Tail parade.
16JUN17:
JAX 1x CR9
TPA 2x M90 2x 739
MCO 5x 739 1x M90
RSW 1xM90 1x739
MIA 2x 717 1x M90
FLL 5x M90
PBI 1x M88

What's also cool is DL will fly the M90 to SLC and DEN too.

iFlyDTW

Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:13 pm

So nothing has hampered NK additions next month due to the parking of a few NEOs. OAK looks like it's going to be a hit. All is good for NK at DTW.
Home of the "Bare Fare" /// Banana Plane Republic

klm617

Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:50 pm

compensateme wrote:
flymco753 wrote:

DL doesn't have to respond; PDX is simply not that significant a market for them. Historically, DL carries about a third to two-fifths of the traffic between the markets at average fares below those of comparable distances. FWIW, DL did just upgauge the flight to a 757 for the summer, which is a gain of about 20 seats. Doubtful it has anything to do with AS.

Consider how DL's responding to UA's entry into SFO/DTW: it's cutting capacity (this year: 739, 4x753; last year: 2x739, 757, 753, 2x763 -- the reduction in capacity is equal to a 757).

- - -

More proof that DL is shrinking this market no to mention 26% of the O/D passengers out of DTW are now on airlines other than DL. Keep shrinking DL so the competitors can move in love it. By the way how is the ATL mega hub working for you these days.

iFlyDTW

Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:07 pm

F9 adds second daily MCO flight next winter on the A321.

flymco753

Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:09 pm

iFlyDTW wrote:
F9 adds second daily MCO flight next winter on the A321.
You beat me to it, starting 16 OCT.

DTW-MCO next winter will look like 3x NK (321, 2 320), 6x DL (753), 2x F9 (321) and WN 1x weekly (738).

flymco753

Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:18 pm

klm617 wrote:
compensateme wrote:
flymco753 wrote:

- - -

More proof that DL is shrinking this market no to mention 26% of the O/D passengers out of DTW are now on airlines other than DL. Keep shrinking DL so the competitors can move in love it. By the way how is the ATL mega hub working for you these days.
Actually per DOT DB1B, 48% are other airlines other than DL.

PSU.DTW.SCE

Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:32 pm

flymco753 wrote:
Florida flights on DL this summer will be a T-Tail parade.
16JUN17:
JAX 1x CR9
TPA 2x M90 2x 739
MCO 5x 739 1x M90
RSW 1xM90 1x739
MIA 2x 717 1x M90
FLL 5x M90
PBI 1x M88

What's also cool is DL will fly the M90 to SLC and DEN too.

DL has had MD90s on DEN for 5+ years.

The 757s go on more of the East-West routes in the summer, in places like SEA, SFO, LAX, etc that were seeing more 738 & 739 s during winter months.

Roughly 50% of DTW O&D is on DL-branded service, the other roughly 50% is other airlines.
75% of enplanements and about 75% of movements is DL-branded service.

compensateme

Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:49 pm

As I've repeatedly mentioned, more competition is a good thing, and that competition doesn't have to equate into growth. For example, with UA's entry into the DTW/SFO market, there's plenty of ~RT$350 up for grabs this summer. Even during the first half of the 2000s, when cheap fares were commonplace, ~RT$350 DTW/SFO nonstop was unheard of.

flymco753

Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:36 pm

compensateme wrote:
As I've repeatedly mentioned, more competition is a good thing, and that competition doesn't have to equate into growth. For example, with UA's entry into the DTW/SFO market, there's plenty of ~RT$350 up for grabs this summer. Even during the first half of the 2000s, when cheap fares were commonplace, ~RT$350 DTW/SFO nonstop was unheard of.
MCO used to be the same way in the later 2000s. Between 3 airlines, AirTran, Delta and Spirit it was hard to find a round trip less than $300 for the distance.

iFlyDTW

Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:19 pm

flymco753 wrote:
compensateme wrote:
MCO used to be the same way in the later 2000s. Between 3 airlines, AirTran, Delta and Spirit it was hard to find a round trip less than $300 for the distance.
NKs MCO flights are full all of the time, even back when yields weren't as low we still were full.

flymco753

Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:34 pm

iFlyDTW wrote:
flymco753 wrote:
compensateme wrote:
NKs MCO flights are full all of the time, even back when yields weren't as low we still were full.
It's a price war now between NK and F9, both are selling RT's for $107, it'll be interesting to see how it pans out.

ANA787

Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:27 pm

compensateme wrote:
flymco753 wrote:

Looks like DL just responded to AS: DL is adding another DTW-PDX flight making this market 2x daily starting just 1 day before the new AS PDX-DTW flight. Daytime PDX-DTW flight and morning DTW-PDX flight.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos