DJSNOLA

Re: The MSY Thread - 2017

Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:07 pm

does anyone expect the new terminal to have self service baggage drop?

msycajun

Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:37 pm

DJSNOLA wrote:
SunsetLimited wrote:
BA + DE is a great lineup for a city the size of New Orleans.

DE's twice-weekly service is ideal for the leisure oriented nature of the airline. If aything, I'd like to see them extend the flight season to begin in mid-February so they can bring in tourists for Mardi Gras and Jazz Fest, but perhaps that will happen one day.

As the market to Europe matures, I think we'll see continued BA growth, and another discount carrier like Norwegian would not surprise me. BA has been doing gangbusters lately.

But right now...perfectly content with BA and DE. Many similar sized airports would love to have both of those carriers, let alone one of them.

I agree but i would like to see BA be a little more aggressive on their pricing.

Getting Norwegian to LGW would be the best we can hope for to address that. In every market where they've been challenged, BA has either upgauged or added frequency to defend their turf and prices have come down as a result.

jbs2886

Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:50 pm

DJSNOLA wrote:
SunsetLimited wrote:
BA + DE is a great lineup for a city the size of New Orleans.

DE's twice-weekly service is ideal for the leisure oriented nature of the airline. If aything, I'd like to see them extend the flight season to begin in mid-February so they can bring in tourists for Mardi Gras and Jazz Fest, but perhaps that will happen one day.

As the market to Europe matures, I think we'll see continued BA growth, and another discount carrier like Norwegian would not surprise me. BA has been doing gangbusters lately.

But right now...perfectly content with BA and DE. Many similar sized airports would love to have both of those carriers, let alone one of them.

I agree but i would like to see BA be a little more aggressive on their pricing.

They've got decent loads apparently and if they are at relatively high prices, that's a good thing for the sustainability of the route. I'm not sure what aggressive pricing gets BA. We may want better pricing, but our interests are very different.

LAX772LR

Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:59 am

DJSNOLA wrote:

They are. BA is often fairly competitive on 1stop itineraries, just not to LON... where they have no need (nor really, reason) to be.

jbs2886 wrote:
I'm not sure what aggressive pricing gets BA. We may want better pricing, but our interests are very different.

Thank you. They're not here as a charity; I think sometimes folks lose sight of that....
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

msyflyer

Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:52 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
DJSNOLA wrote:

They are. BA is often fairly competitive on 1stop itineraries, just not to LON... where they have no need (nor really, reason) to be.

jbs2886 wrote:
I'm not sure what aggressive pricing gets BA. We may want better pricing, but our interests are very different.

Thank you. They're not here as a charity; I think sometimes folks lose sight of that....

They are not charity. I'm thankful they are here. However, the prices they command for club world (business) is almost robbery. They have the nickname Club Thirdworld for a reason. I can fly (via a connection) on UA Polaris for significantly less than BA Club World with a far superior product.

Having said that, the BA premium economy (World Traveler Plus) is a great product and worth the upgrade fee.

DJSNOLA

Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:09 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
DJSNOLA wrote:

jbs2886 wrote:

Im only saying that from my point of view , but at the end of the day i paid the price. I know they are here to make money and certainly want them too.

DJSNOLA

Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:12 pm

September timelapse video of North Terminal

https://youtu.be/_mZ_7nkA3Xo

Last edited by DJSNOLA on Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jbs2886

Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:33 pm

msyflyer wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
DJSNOLA wrote:

jbs2886 wrote:

They are not charity. I'm thankful they are here. However, the prices they command for club world (business) is almost robbery. They have the nickname Club Thirdworld for a reason. I can fly (via a connection) on UA Polaris for significantly less than BA Club World with a far superior product.

Having said that, the BA premium economy (World Traveler Plus) is a great product and worth the upgrade fee.

Its not robbery if people are willing paying for it. :scratchchin:

DJSNOLA

Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:36 pm

jbs2886 wrote:
msyflyer wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:

Its not robbery if people are willing paying for it. :scratchchin:

True but im still going to complain anyways lol

msycajun

Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:55 am

IND had a good idea in tying their incentives for DL to CDG to passengers flown. The more people fly it, the more incentive money they receive. That way DL keeps prices reasonable and actually boosts access to Europe. Right now, BA has no incentive to increase gauge or frequency if there's a small group of passengers willing to pay high fares.

Nola

Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:18 am

I would guess that some kind of incentives were used to lure BA to MSY. Whether there's more money available for another European flight is another a question someone might be able to answer, although I cannot.

LAX772LR

Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:49 am

jbs2886 wrote:
Its not robbery if people are willing paying for it.

....and when you're the largest carrier in the world's largest single market by pax, you get a lot of those.

msycajun wrote:
IND had a good idea in tying their incentives for DL to CDG to passengers flown. The more people fly it, the more incentive money they receive. That way DL keeps prices reasonable and actually boosts access to Europe.

Not necessarily. It just depends on what kind of yield they can get.

They're not going to care about incentive amounts of $X, if charging higher fares on moderate capacity gets them $X+N.

msycajun

Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:23 pm

DJSNOLA

Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:52 pm

I asked a question about selfservice baggage drop off? anyone have a clue?

also in regards to customs area in the new airport.. will the new airport allow for connecting passengers to have their luggage rechecked inside customs for their connecting flights? just wondering if it will be an improvement from current setup which forces connecting passengers to go through checking in and security again for all connections

DJSNOLA

Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:57 pm

msycajun

Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:22 pm

Nola

Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:41 pm

MSY second fastest growing airport in America.

http://www.bizneworleans.com/October-20 ... n-America/

jbs2886

Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:49 pm

Nola wrote:

From 2006. As we have discussed in this thread before, using that year is really misleading (unfortunately) - even if technically correct.

DJSNOLA

Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:43 pm

jbs2886 wrote:
Nola wrote:

From 2006. As we have discussed in this thread before, using that year is really misleading (unfortunately) - even if technically correct.

true whats exciting to me is that nola seems to be growing its typically slow months... late july august and early september are just not what they used to be and thats a good thing

DJSNOLA

Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:45 pm

jbs2886 wrote:
Condor coming back

https://condor-newsroom.condor.com/en/u ... mmer-2018/

Slightly shorter season (May 17 - Sept. 30 v. May 3 - Sept. 27). Same size aircraft.

Re: adding competition for BA. While we would certainly like more flights and better fares, etc., I'd rather have successful BA service than competition to the degree that risks all carriers losing.

im confused about Condors season.. i definitely flew back on october 5th and condor was at the airport here... so why was that if their season ended september 27th?

DJSNOLA

Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:46 pm

jbs2886 wrote:
DJSNOLA wrote:
jbs2886 wrote:

true whats exciting to me is that nola seems to be growing its typically slow months... late july august and early september are just not what they used to be and thats a good thing

Don't pay too much attention to the August numbers, that was the DL meltdown last year. :lol:

im talking about the city in general the numbers seem to indicate a bit of an increase in the citys slower travel season

jbs2886

Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:47 pm

DJSNOLA wrote:
jbs2886 wrote:
Nola wrote:

Don't pay too much attention to the August numbers, that was the DL meltdown last year. :lol:

Nola

Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:09 pm

One of the changes is that hotels are doing better in July than ten years ago, but they are doing worse in September. (August pretty much sucks across the board). The trade is now following the hurricane season more closely. Having a festival pretty much every weekend has increased regional tourists driving in. I'm not sure what is driving flights, though.

Nola

Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:12 pm

jbs2886 wrote:
Nola wrote:

Yes, but if one goes beyond the headline and looks at the data from 2011-2016, an increase of 31% is listed. Given that the cites with higher growth are Love Field (end of Wright Amendment), Austin (huge economic growth and focus by Virgin America, Delta and Southwest), Hobby (again, Southwest), and Seattle (Delta expansion), 31% is REALLY healthy.

jbs2886

Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:15 pm

Nola wrote:
jbs2886 wrote:
Nola wrote:

Yes, but if one goes beyond the headline and looks at the data from 2011-2016, an increase of 31% is listed. Given that the cites with higher growth are Love Field (end of Wright Amendment), Austin (huge economic growth and focus by Virgin America, Delta and Southwest), Hobby (again, Southwest), and Seattle (Delta expansion), 31% is REALLY healthy.

I wouldn't discount DAL, HOU or SEA's economic growth though. They've had enormous growth as well.

msycajun

Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:49 pm

jbs2886 wrote:
DJSNOLA wrote:
jbs2886 wrote:

And August of this year had Hurricane Harvey, taking out 20+ departures to Houston for several days, so I think growth in the double digits is still impressive.

In comparison to other airports DAL is a unique situation because the altered Wright Amendment. DFW actually lost passengers year over year. Same with HOU and the international expansion for WN - IAH posted decline last year. AUS was more organic growth and SEA was a combination of organic and DL hub growth.

LAX772LR

Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:20 am

jbs2886 wrote:

We also discussed that there's nothing "misleading" about it.

There was no guarantee of return to previous traffic after Katrina: for all anyone knew at the time, 6-7million might've been the new sustained normal going forth. There was no guarantee that tourists would return in anywhere near those numbers. No guarantee businesses would return, or even the ones that remained would stay. Hell, the city and metro population still aren't what they were.

Yet the fact that the airport was able to not only rebound to previous traffic levels, then outpace growth that was predicted even pre-K (especially internationally) deserves nothing less than the laud that it's currently being given.

NolaMD88fan

Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:37 am

LAX772LR wrote:
jbs2886 wrote:

There was no guarantee of return to previous traffic after Katrina: for all anyone knew at the time, 6-7million might've been the new sustained normal going forth. There was no guarantee that tourists would return in anywhere near those numbers. No guarantee businesses would return, or even the ones that remained would stay. Hell, the city and metro population still aren't what they were.

Yet the fact that the airport was able to not only rebound to previous traffic levels, then outpace growth that was predicted even pre-K (especially internationally) deserves nothing less than the laud that it's currently being given.

This...all of this. A lot of people had written off New Orleans after Katrina. The fact that the airport has surpassed pre-Katrina passenger numbers along with substantially more destinations is something to be in awe of in my opinion. Even discounting the 2006 to 2011 period, a growth rate of 31% from 2011 to 2016 is pretty impressive. Great work done by the MSY staff.

The passenger growth numbers for July and August are fantastic. Over 16% increase in July and 13% increase in August from 2016. Simply astounding.

I did some rough calculations for the DE and BA flights (assumed Low J 767-300 config and 788 config). DE had a 75.5% load factor in July. The FRA-MSY leg had an 86% load factor, but the MSY-FRA leg was 65% full for the month. In August, the load factor was 69.3% with the FRA-MSY leg outperforming once again. For BA, 76.7% full in July, 67.7% full in August. LHR-MSY leg outperformed MSY-LHR. In July, LHR-MSY was 88% full. 72% full in August. The draw of using MSY customs is pretty evident in these numbers.

Concerning DJSNOLA's questions, complete unknown concerning luggage or customs design at this point from me.

DJSNOLA

Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:32 pm

NolaMD88fan wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
jbs2886 wrote:

This...all of this. A lot of people had written off New Orleans after Katrina. The fact that the airport has surpassed pre-Katrina passenger numbers along with substantially more destinations is something to be in awe of in my opinion. Even discounting the 2006 to 2011 period, a growth rate of 31% from 2011 to 2016 is pretty impressive. Great work done by the MSY staff.

The passenger growth numbers for July and August are fantastic. Over 16% increase in July and 13% increase in August from 2016. Simply astounding.

I did some rough calculations for the DE and BA flights (assumed Low J 767-300 config and 788 config). DE had a 75.5% load factor in July. The FRA-MSY leg had an 86% load factor, but the MSY-FRA leg was 65% full for the month. In August, the load factor was 69.3% with the FRA-MSY leg outperforming once again. For BA, 76.7% full in July, 67.7% full in August. LHR-MSY leg outperformed MSY-LHR. In July, LHR-MSY was 88% full. 72% full in August. The draw of using MSY customs is pretty evident in these numbers.

Concerning DJSNOLA's questions, complete unknown concerning luggage or customs design at this point from me.

wow I never thought of that and your right... thats a huge draw!

Guess

Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:17 am

Might be too obvious and I'm missing it, but looking at the numbers all of the US3 carriers have dropped significantly on the express side in MSY, but growing as a system meaning much more mainline service. Is that happening every where else or only in a few growing markets?

msycajun

Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:32 am

Guess wrote:
Might be too obvious and I'm missing it, but looking at the numbers all of the US3 carriers have dropped significantly on the express side in MSY, but growing as a system meaning much more mainline service. Is that happening every where else or only in a few growing markets?

This is a national trend as pilots are in short supply. AA for example recently went from 3 daily regional jets to ORD to 2 mainline, which was actually an increase in seats. DL has swapped more mainline service to DTW, MSP and JFK, as has UA to all of its hubs. MSY-IAH used to be 10 daily mix of regional and mainline and is now 8 mainline flights. This is one of the reasons that the new terminal actually has fewer gates than the current one. More space per gate is needed as the average number of seats per flight continues to go up. And the airlines which are adding many flights (WN and NK) make very economical use of their gates.

jbs2886

Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:37 am

msycajun wrote:
Guess wrote:

This is a national trend as pilots are in short supply. AA for example recently went from 3 daily regional jets to ORD to 2 mainline, which was actually an increase in seats. DL has swapped more mainline service to DTW, MSP and JFK, as has UA to all of its hubs. MSY-IAH used to be 10 daily mix of regional and mainline and is now 8 mainline flights. This is one of the reasons that the new terminal actually has fewer gates than the current one. More space per gate is needed as the average number of seats per flight continues to go up. And the airlines which are adding many flights (WN and NK) make very economical use of their gates.

Sorry to nitpick, but UA is not all mainline on MSY-IAH. For example, there were 3 E175s on MSY-IAH for UA today (of 10 flights). Tomorrow (Saturday) is 8 daily with 4 on E170s/E175s. Nevertheless, the general premise is correct!

Does anyone know how Virgin America/Alaska is doing on MSY-SFO?

msycajun

Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:04 am

jbs2886 wrote:
msycajun wrote:
Guess wrote:

Sorry to nitpick, but UA is not all mainline on MSY-IAH. For example, there were 3 E175s on MSY-IAH for UA today (of 10 flights). Tomorrow (Saturday) is 8 daily with 4 on E170s/E175s. Nevertheless, the general premise is correct!

Yes I misspoke, the UA IAH reduction is tied to the move from 10 to 8 banks at IAH which goes into effect on October 30.

Speaking of, I wonder if this opens up an opportunity for NK to go 2 daily to IAH and ORD, maybe even LAX. FLL is the only route with 2 daily NK departures.

LAX772LR

Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:47 pm

jbs2886 wrote:

It's only three weeks old. Heck, I doubt even the operators have conclusively determined how it's doing, at this point.

DJSNOLA

Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:42 pm

I recall someone asking about the airports website and if they would ever update it.. well heres your answer!

NolaMD88fan

Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:52 am

July domestic pax and load factors, and April international pax and load factors calculated for each route.

Domestically, WN's MSY-DEN route had the highest load factor at 94.9% in July. The lowest load factor was G4's MSY-CLE route at 63.5%. The overall domestic load factor for the airport in July was 83.9%...a 2% increase over 2016. The year to date domestic load factor was 82.0%. Year to date, the route with the highest load factor was WN's MSY-LAX route at 94.2%. GLO did not have data reported in July, and service ended on all routes on July 15th.

Internationally, BA had it's first full month of operating the MSY-LHR route and it had a load factor of 79.6% in April. AC had a load factor of 86.3% for the month, and 84.9% for the year on the MSY-YYZ route. CM also did quite well with a 27.6% increase in pax driving a 13.3% increase in the load factor year over year. The MSY-PTY route had a 74% load factor in April, and a 73.8% load factor year to date. DL's MSY-CUN route also did much better this year with the load factor improving to 79.8% for April compared to 60.5% last year. The overall international load factor for the airport in April was 81.4%, and the year to date load factor was 79.3%.

(Domestic)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19PfjR6hYCFDPcv6qhpAqs8JpN3_RRF85c2xiYRv3g98/edit?usp=sharing

(International)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yepoGdibyiVsViWrjIcouvFnmdUNzhYuBiOo9bBPV8Y/edit?usp=sharing

ADrum23

Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:45 am

msycajun wrote:
Guess wrote:

I wonder if this short supply of rj pilots will mean AA will eventually upgauge one of the 9 daily regional jets on BNA-ORD to mainline, something that I am shocked has not already happened.

jbs2886

Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:54 pm

ADrum23 wrote:
msycajun wrote:
Guess wrote:

I wonder if this short supply of rj pilots will mean AA will eventually upgauge one of the 9 daily regional jets on BNA-ORD to mainline, something that I am shocked has not already happened.

This is the MSY thread. What happens on BNA-ORD is pretty far off topic.

Nola

Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:26 pm

Kenner to vote on roadway improvements for North Terminal access.

http://www.nola.com/traffic/index.ssf/2 ... ncart_2box

jbs2886

Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:27 pm

Copa increasing gauge to 73G again.

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/air ... e-20171020

I can't help but think the C Series or E2s would be perfect for Copa and smaller cities in the US, like MSY.

NolaMD88fan

Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:31 pm

Nice to see CM increasing capacity on the route this winter.

msycajun

Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:57 pm

jbs2886 wrote:
Copa increasing gauge to 73G again.

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/air ... e-20171020

I can't help but think the C Series or E2s would be perfect for Copa and smaller cities in the US, like MSY.

With small fleets of 73Gs and E190s that will be phased out, it will be interesting to see if they find something in that range. I'd love to see the operating the C Series into MSY someday. Hopefully the Airbus deal and Mobile C Series line comes to fruition. Otherwise the fleet will eventually be centered around 738s and MAX 8s, 9s, and 10s and MSY would have a hard time filling those planes.

NolaMD88fan

Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:29 pm

Update on plans for access to the new northside terminal. Looks like the airport board is considering spending money to 5 lane Loyola both north and southbound at I-10 interchange/Vets intersection, and 5 lane westbound Vets and 4 lane eastbound Vets too. If this occurs, that will definitely help with the traffic congestion issues as long as the traffic lights are time properly.

http://neworleanscitybusiness.com/blog/2017/10/20/armstrong-airport-trying-to-curb-street-traffic-from-new-terminal/

DJSNOLA

Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:51 pm

NolaMD88fan wrote:
Update on plans for access to the new northside terminal. Looks like the airport board is considering spending money to 5 lane Loyola both north and southbound at I-10 interchange/Vets intersection, and 5 lane westbound Vets and 4 lane eastbound Vets too. If this occurs, that will definitely help with the traffic congestion issues as long as the traffic lights are time properly.

http://neworleanscitybusiness.com/blog/2017/10/20/armstrong-airport-trying-to-curb-street-traffic-from-new-terminal/

they need to get moving on this yesterday

msycajun

Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:55 pm

NolaMD88fan wrote:

Are there any diagrams showing what the plan is? I don't have access to the article.

NolaMD88fan

Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:33 pm

No diagrams associated with the article. Just a conceptualization at this point according to the article. They are hoping to start it no later than January, but need to work it out with DOTD and Kenner officials. The article states that the airport is willing to spend a million bucks on the project.

msycajun

Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:17 pm

MSY O&D for Q2 2017:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10ssZlxB1CbTh3d5-jNq_yOuVnmUkjvagxfrReZlcf4Y/edit?usp=sharing

Some observations:
  • PDX remains the largest unserved nonstop market at 110 PDEW, down slightly from 2016, but with higher yield.
  • Once SMF on WN starts in the spring, the next largest unserved markets are RIC, ORF, MKE, BDL, and JAX. SMF was up about 6 PDEW over 2016.
  • RDU and PIT are the largest markets without daily nonstop service at 139 and 120 PDEW respectively.
  • Nice increases for Midwestern markets PIT, CLE, IND, CMH, and CVG year-over-year.
  • With all of the recent ULCC additions, the largest markets without multiple carriers will be SEA, BNA, PHX, SAN, and STL.

uconn99

Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:50 pm

Would WN try MSY-BDL or someone like Spirit or Allegiant?

71Zulu

Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:07 pm

Where does the UA IAH-MSY fit into their city pair passenger rankings? I
I thought years ago that IAH-MSY was #1 at CO.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
Clickable links only please!

NolaMD88fan

Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:26 pm

Would not be shocked to see WN make the service to RDU and possibly PIT a daily flight soon. That would likely push G4 off those routes.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos